Signatures of Johnson, Humphry and McCormak?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok -I have a framed copy of signed legislation for the Silver Certificate Act from 1967. Is it just a souvenir copy? I don't know if the signatures are real or auto-penned. If they are real then it would be quite valuable as these are the signatures Lyndon Johnson, Hubert Humphrey, and John McCormack (Speaker of the House).

Does anyone know how I could find out? Should I call Rick from Pawn Stars? :innocent0

Attachments

• 20170807_222212.jpg
      20170807_222212.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 157
    • 20170807_221429.jpg
      20170807_221429.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 155

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My guess would be that is a facsimile of the signed law but that is one of the pens actually used to sign the original. Ever watch a bill signing where the president signs like one letter of his name and changes pens presenting each pen used to some notable or significant person at the ceremony.

Google Presidential signing pens

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Start by looking if there is an indentation on the paper from a pen. If so you may have a real deal. The pen may be one used to sign one of the copies, if its a real presidential pen then it was probably used to sign that copy. Also look to see if you can see line variations or lifting from a flowing signature (thinning and thickening lines). If you have that you will want to get the signatures verified. Then the pen will come into play also, do not touch it or take it out. If you can get the pen verified you may have one heck of a nice kit. My grandfather collected presidential signed portraits. We know some are signed by secretaries, others not. Its pretty cool. He simply mailed a letter asking for a signed portrait. Some are written to him and others are just signed. My dad had them mounted in protective glass to preserve them.

Lawmakers dont sign just one copy, or one letter of their name, for major legislation. When they do the big signing ceremonies they sign multiple copies. They did the same thing with the Declaration of Independence. They will have the official copy, then various other copies for display, to send around the country, and to give to "important" people.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    HOLY CRAP! I just checked with a magnifying glass; Hubert Humphrey's signature has an indent where the pen signed it. I actually thought it was a souvenir piece. I did not truly believe it was real. Now I think it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom