• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    A friend's wife asked for some help buying an M1 that her husband (said friend) would use (think Christmas). This needs to be a complete surprise (wife would never, ever think of doing this before last week). Friend is not a collector, and is not interested in a safe queen. He would love to have an M1 that he can shoot on the range and perhaps hunting or varmiting on occasion. Reasonably good condition, good shooter, not in need of any work to take it out and shoot safely.

I can guide her through the legal requirements, no problem, but I'm not an M1 guy. I've shot a few of them, but that's about it. I am looking for some good advice, price ranges, and perhaps a few leads. Friend is in Carroll county, and I'll be accompanying the wife to look at things. Any IPs out nearby with something sitting on the rack?

Thanks.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So we're looking for a Garand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Send a PM to Good Guy 176

Lew has probably forgotten more about Garands than most people ever knew. He has a pretty extensive collection and I believe he's been selling a few here and there.

Orlando

Here ya go, PM sent

This rifle is the one that started my love of 1960's rebuilds,was a mail order Field Grade from 2006
    The rifle is a R001SAF, USGI Springfield Armory Field Grade . CMP used to sell their Garands as USGI, Danish or Greek. This is a rifle that was not a returned rifle but one that spent all its time in Army possession.
    As I understand the Tooele rebuilt rifles were one of the least or the least number of rebuilt rifles.
    Rifle appears to have original 1943 barrel , pads are not chromed. MW-2 TW 3 1/2, well within Army standards
    Stock is a birch replacement and has walnut hand guards. Hand guards and stock have some dents but no cracks, pins or repairs
    I dont beleive it had been fired much after the rebuild as there was hardly any finish wear to receiver track or bolt lugs before I fired it.. I put a few hundred rds through it and put her away and has been stored ever since
    If you collect 1960's rebuilds this would be a great rifle to add to your collection
    As you can easily see Field Grades of years ago are much , much nicer than todays. This rifle actually falls within Service Grade description.
    No rust or pitting excellent bore, all parts gage well in spec.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I just got volunteered to clean the M1 garands at our American Legion post. I was wondering if theres any good tips from MDS Members on cleaning.

PMD354

I was at Clyde's sport shop 3 weeks ago and looked at a M1 Garand. It was a Winchester. Don't remember the year. I looked great until I noticed the price tag of $1800. I then handed it back to the sales person.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I was at Clyde's sport shop 3 weeks ago and looked at a M1 Garand. It was a Winchester. Don't remember the year. I looked great until I noticed the price tag of $1800. I then handed it back to the sales person.

That thing's been there for years. I thought it was $800 for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom