• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    They have done lotteries for things in the past like the Advanced Armorors course. I thought they did a lottery for the IHC release a few years ago but I might be wrong.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yep. That makes it a pass for me. If I add the value of my time to what they are going to cost, it is not worth it for me.

They have the ability to not use an 01FFL, its a BS requirement that they just decided to toss in for the hell of it. Maybe cause "pistols are scary". I wonder if they have any backing in Federal law or CMP regulation for this requirement or if they just arbitrarily decided?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    They have the ability to not use an 01FFL, its a BS requirement that they just decided to toss in for the hell of it. Maybe cause "pistols are scary". I wonder if they have any backing in Federal law or CMP regulation for this requirement or if they just arbitrarily decided?

That is not true. CMP is not chartered to direct ship pistols.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Please remember that this notice is a “preliminary” and not written in stone yet! It still may be a year or so before anyone can order one and a lot can change in that time frame!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    So this is in Federal law somewhere? I'm genuinely wondering if they have justification for the decision

the cmp is not an ffl. They are an anomaly in firearms law. They are granted special powers through their congressional charter to transfer firearms (only specified types: garands, carbines, o3's o3a3's, 17 enfields, 22 trainers, etc) across state lines to non ffl's. That's something FFL's can't do.

To direct ship pistols would require congressional modification of their charter.

Would you honestly want congress messing around with that?

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    the cmp is not an ffl. They are an anomaly in firearms law. They are granted special powers through their congressional charter to transfer firearms (only specified types: garands, carbines, o3's o3a3's, 17 enfields, 22 trainers, etc) across state lines to non ffl's. That's something FFL's can't do.

You are saying that CMP can't do something (ship direct to an FFL-03) that a private citizen can do. You don't need to be an FFL to ship to a C&R.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

To direct ship pistols would require congressional modification of their charter.

Would you honestly want congress messing around with that?

I’d appreciate it if you would copy and paste the charter here.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    That is not true. CMP is not chartered to direct ship pistols.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

36 USC 40722

(5) to issue, loan, or sell firearms, ammunition, repair parts, and other supplies under sections 40731 and 40732 of this title

36 USC 40732

(a)Affiliated Organizations.—
    The corporation may sell, at fair market value ... caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols[.]

No charter change required. No change in the law required. No need to ignore the GCA of 1968 and the fact that an 03 FFL is a real thing.

Jul 1, 2012
    meh, screw this...

Not shipping to an FFL-03 is a big drawback, I can see why they don't want to since it isn't as easy to verify, but there's ways to mitigate that.

the few decent ones (e.g. correct/matching/original) will be expensive, even if you lucked out and were in the first random few that are given a choice.
    I expect these will be much more carefully scrutinized for rarity etc than things have been in the past.

I'd rather just see exactly what I'm getting from a <gasp> dealer or private seller and get one on my -03.

Prediction **: chaos and mountains of butt-hurt, whining and gnashing of teeth once this goes "live".

** hey someone's gotta do it now that Fred's gone.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    meh, screw this...

Not shipping to an FFL-03 is a big drawback, I can see why they don't want to since it isn't as easy to verify, but there's ways to mitigate that.

the few decent ones (e.g. correct/matching/original) will be expensive, even if you lucked out and were in the first random few that are given a choice.
    I expect these will be much more carefully scrutinized for rarity etc than things have been in the past.

I'd rather just see exactly what I'm getting from a <gasp> dealer or private seller and get one on my -03.

Prediction **: chaos and mountains of butt-hurt, whining and gnashing of teeth once this goes "live".

** hey someone's gotta do it now that Fred's gone.

Why is a 1911 different from a Garand? They haven’t verified crap with Garands except in states that require it. I’m stumped.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    First go around they are supposed to get 10,000 pistols, they have 250,000 customers. They will sell every last pistol at whatever reasonable price they decide to charge no matter what rules they impose. You don't like the rules that is OK with me because it increases my chance of getting one.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    First go around they are supposed to get 10,000 pistols, they have 250,000 customers. They will sell every last pistol at whatever reasonable price they decide to charge no matter what rules they impose. You don't like the rules that is OK with me because it increases my chance of getting one.

I will increase your chances of getting a piece of junk because I won’t be giving another penny to this government organization. I have a nice Rem-Rand that’s correct and for which I paid less than what you will pay for one from the CMP. Smart collectors will focus on buying nice examples now before the market is flooded with rattletraps bearing CMP certificates.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    No C&R is a no buy from me. Three separate trips to an FFL and the $1000 price tag they threw out before makes it not worth it. I'd rather just get a similar priced shooter on the open market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom