• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdant

Jul 31, 2012
    Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. However, I have been reading posts for a long time and I respect all of your experiences and expertise.

Like most of you I was excited to turn in my application to carry before the recent stay. I never thought about filing with "G&S" because I did not want to take the risk of being denied or have unreasonable restrictions to carry. However, seeing that this case may drag on for a year or more with appeals, im heavily considering filing with G&S. So I would like advice from those who have gotten permits under G&S to let me know what kind of restrictions I can expect or If you think I will be denied outright.

Me and my father own a Property Management company which manages aprox. 50 properties. We collect rent, and deposit at least $50,000 a month in mostly checks, but we often have to meet tenants after hours to collect cash. It is not uncommon for us to be carrying many thousands of dollars in cash. However, carrying thousands in cash is just not an every day thing, but it happens many times a month. We also work really late hours, have to meet clients off hours, and travel all throughout Maryland. Traveling and working in Baltimore can be very unsafe, as we often have to stay late to fix up properties. I was also thinking about adding a recent break in (3 days ago) at our house to sweeten the reason, we have a police report.

So do you think I meet the G&S reason? If they do approve us, do you think they will restrict the permits to 9am-5pm or only when we are making trips to the bank? I really do not want the burden of heavy restrictions, because I am concerned that I may forget to take the gun off at exactly 5pm for example and be in violation of carrying illegally which carries prison time.

Thanks for any advice

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. However, I have been reading posts for a long time and I respect all of your experiences and expertise.

Like most of you I was excited to turn in my application to carry before the recent stay. I never thought about filing with "G&S" because I did not want to take the risk of being denied or have unreasonable restrictions to carry. However, seeing that this case may drag on for a year or more with appeals, im heavily considering filing with G&S. So I would like advice from those who have gotten permits under G&S to let me know what kind of restrictions I can expect or If you think I will be denied outright.

Me and my father own a Property Management company which manages aprox. 50 properties. We collect rent, and deposit at least $50,000 a month in mostly checks, but we often have to meet tenants after hours to collect cash. It is not uncommon for us to be carrying many thousands of dollars in cash. However, carrying thousands in cash is just not an every day thing, but it happens many times a month. We also work really late hours, have to meet clients off hours, and travel all throughout Maryland. Traveling and working in Baltimore can be very unsafe, as we often have to stay late to fix up properties. I was also thinking about adding a recent break in (3 days ago) at our house to sweeten the reason, we have a police report.

So do you think I meet the G&S reason? If they do approve us, do you think they will restrict the permits to 9am-5pm or only when we are making trips to the bank? I really do not want the burden of heavy restrictions, because I am concerned that I may forget to take the gun off at exactly 5pm for example and be in violation of carrying illegally which carries prison time.

Thanks for any advice

I think you will meet G&S without a problem.....welcome to the forum.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I would say its very possible almost unrestricted. Basically--while conducting business type thing. So as long as you are working you would be ok. PURE GUESS as we have no idea what they think sometimes.:D

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    I'd try it, make sure you list the amount of cash your carry and that you take it through Baltimore city. I know a couple busniess owners who carry large amounts of cash who have been denied, but guys who work in bad areas tend to have better luck getting the permit. The B&E doesnt hurt, but may not help a ton either. Good luck with everything.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I feel pretty certain you will get it. Your restriction will probably say something like "to and from your place of business and while transporting currency of [company name]"
    Apply now on G&S to avoid the crush when we win. You can always petition later to have the restrictions removed.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I think you'll get it.

(Include a letter from your bank stating that you make cash deposits.)

I think you'll get it.

(Include a letter from your bank stating that you make cash deposits.)

Wouldn't copies of the deposit slips and/or statements satisfy this?

Reason I ask,when I make a deposit I don't break down what is checks/cash,I just write the total of the deposit on the slip.But my statements and online show the break down between the two.(hope that makes sense)

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I recently got my permit with G&S "making deposits"

1. I rarely carry cash, if at all.
    2. Clients only pay me with checks.
    3. I printed out six deposits made within the last year to prove that my business had "monetary flow". All deposits were checks.
    4. As long as you can honestly tell the trooper that you could potentially work 24/7 and need to make a deposit anywhere in the state then they will not restrict you to a geography or time of day.

My restrictions on my permit are, 'while carrying from my office or home to bank or while carrying business currency as owner.'

For your records this is what the Maryland State police defines as business currency and how it's use is defined.

"Greetings, business currency is cash or checks for your business or from your business to the bank or where ever you conduct business transactions with currency."
    Sgt. Michael A. Jones - MSP - Licensing Division.

Be respectful in the interview, don't lie and you will almost certainly get a permit with your reasons.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    PM me with your email. I'll email you a list of instructions. It's on here somewhere.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

tdant

Jul 31, 2012
    ericahls thats great news. Gives me some hope that a permit is possible. Thanks

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    As long as your background check is approved, there's no reason why you won't get a permit.

However you will have restrictions, prolly as such some have stated above.

What other than validated threats do state police give permits with no restrictions? (not included retired police/leo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom