• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I am looking to upgrade the original stock on my Arsenal SAM7R. It is too short and the hard plastic butt plate is less than comfortable.

I would like to take one of two routes:

1. Replace with a longer fixed stock with an acceptable rubber butt pad.
    Any suggestions in this category?

Or

2. Install a buffer tube adapter and Magpul CTR stock. The only options I have found are the ACE block that I believe both tangs be removed, a Tapco and a CAA ATKM tube adapter that requires only the lower tang be removed.
    The CAA seems to be the best option, though I haven't found too many posts of people actually using it. Is it any good? I usually associate CAA stuff with junk.

Is there any other solution I am missing?

Thanks.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Is it uncomfortable during recoil or when you're just holding it there? The reason I ask is because I think the same stock is on my SGL-21 and I barely even feel recoil. Does your SAM7R have the AK-74 style muzzle break? That does a hell of a job knocking down the recoil to about the same as an AR.

Personally, I'd stay away from the adjustable stock mounts. An AK was designed for a fixed stock and they look stupid sporting an AR style stock.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I am in the same boat, hate the stock on my SAM7R. Really don't want to have to permanently alter a tang in order to swap it.
    Let me know if you find a good solution and I will do the same. I'd prefer to stay with a fixed stock if i can get one that fits properly. Magpul?? Are you listening??? ;)
    Agreed. Have you looked to see if the lower tang is riveted? I haven't had a chance, but if it is I wouldn't mind removing it since riveting a new one on isn't too involved.

I had looked at them. Was hoping to end up with a polymer set up since I am going to set the forearm up for an optic.
    Is it uncomfortable during recoil or when you're just holding it there? The reason I ask is because I think the same stock is on my SGL-21 and I barely even feel recoil. Does your SAM7R have the AK-74 style muzzle break? That does a hell of a job knocking down the recoil to about the same as an AR.
    Recoil. It is a hard platic butt plate and I don't care for it. Regardless, the stock is 1-1/2" too short or so.
    Personally, I'd stay away from the adjustable stock mounts. An AK was designed for a fixed stock and they look stupid sporting an AR style stock, IMO
    Allows LOP adjustment and with the CTR stock, drop at comb is easily modified for proper cheek weld. Function > Form.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    FYI, the buttplate is metal, not plastic. Ive never had an issue with it due to recoil. IMO 7.62x39 doesnt have enough kick to warrant a rubber recoil pad. But thats just me.

If you want a simple solution, just get a slip on rubber buttpad. It will extend the length of the stock and give you the recoil reduction youre interested in.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    Just so you know, the surplus military stocks that were meant for a double tang milled receiver will work on a Sam7r, with a little modification. The part of the stock that slides into the receiver is going to be a little too big, but it can be shaved down to fit. I refused to cut the tang off of my Sam7r receiver, so I went this route. I used a Polish laminate stock and foregrip set for a milled receiver.

I do see that you want to stay polymer, but the choices are looking pretty thin for the milled AK's. Does anyone know of a surplus stock that's polymer and used on a milled AK? And non-Warsaw length? What should be an easy request for a stamped receiver is a big deal for the milled....

I have an entirely different gun that has a wood stock that was stained black at the factory. I thought it was plastic when I bought it, only to find that it was indeed a hardwood. I love a wood stock, so it was a pleasant surprise. Might be an option if the polymer doesn't exist, and you want to keep your gun black.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Seems to me it is worth trying a slip on pad that will increase your LOP and give you a more comfortable shooting experience without having to replace the stock at all.

You are going to get a lot of cushioning from a slip on pad that adds 1.5 inches to the LOP, solving both problems at once, probably for the lowest cost too.

I agree with the other guys - an AR stock on an AK just looks kind of silly to me. It becomes this kind of Franken-gun thing. Get a NATO-length wood stock and stain it black or the rubber butt pad.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Bulgarian AR-M9 surplus stock for their current issue AK's. Has a longer stock and rubber butt-pad just like you wanted. I used to have one on my AK but ended up selling it because the stock was too long for me.

d_1352.jpg

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-001ARM9.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom