• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    Hi,

I have a Savage Mark II in .22 with one of those accutriggers.

I have not used the rifle much; it has maybe 300 rds thru it.

Last time I was at the range, the accutrigger started screwing up. It seems like every few rounds, the accurelease just would not release. ( it is that skeletonized shiny trigger that you pull before you can pull the real trigger )

Since the dang accurelease trigger can't be pulled, i could not pull the real trigger.

So I had to remove the mag, pull the bolt back, insert the mag, and the thing would release. It is a real PITA to have to do that after every other shot.

Any Savage experts out there that can shine some light on this?

I have not taken the rifle appart and adjusted the accutrigger.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Are you tripping the safety trigger (meaning inadvertantly touching the trigger itself without the skeleton trigger depressed)? I had a rifle that did that and adjusted the pull up slightly and it stopped happening.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Agreed, the only time I've ever seen the accutrigger "lock up" like that is if the trigger was pulled with out releasing the sear block. Did you cut coils off the spring or do any work on the gun?

I've seen Savage target actions (MDS member bulletbill's) trip with slight jarring or on cocking.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Only time I've seen the center trigger not move was if the bolt wasn't cocked. I can't say if the blade moves when the safety is on as I've never used the safety..

Agreed, the only time I've ever seen the accutrigger "lock up" like that is if the trigger was pulled with out releasing the sear block. Did you cut coils off the spring or do any work on the gun?

I've seen Savage target actions (MDS member bulletbill's) trip with slight jarring or on cocking.

When ya run that light, what do you expect?

Also, slightly pressing sideways on the savage trigger will trip it with lighter than you would expect pressure. Not 90 degree sideways, maybe 45-60, pressure. Kind of scared me the first time I figured that out, but it's done it on every one I've owned.

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    No, I have not cut any springs or anything like that.

... It seems unlikely that I was tripping the real trigger, since it the accutrigger is supposed to prevent the real trigger from going off by accident.

From what I understand, the accutrigger keeps the real trigger blocked, untill the accutrigger is pulled all the way, allowing the real trigger to be pulled.

Yes, I keep it clean and well oiled.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    No, I have not cut any springs or anything like that.

... It seems unlikely that I was tripping the real trigger, since it the accutrigger is supposed to prevent the real trigger from going off by accident.

From what I understand, the accutrigger keeps the real trigger blocked, untill the accutrigger is pulled all the way, allowing the real trigger to be pulled.

Yes, I keep it clean and well oiled.

the main trigger is kept from going all the way by the silver safety. if the main trigger is depressed without the safety being pressed in then the sear falls on the notch of the safety sticking up through the main trigger. if you lift the bolt it will recock the sear and you can drop it down without having to work the action all the way. this is either happening because as you pull the trigger you're touching the side of the main trigger first/while squeezing the safety back or the action of closing the bolt is setting off the main trigger to fall on the safety. concentrate on moving your trigger finger straight back depressing the safety lever first and then making contact with the main trigger or adjust the weight up so it won't set off the main when you close the bolt. if the safety wont pull back it's because the sear is already resting on it.
    savage_at_release[1].jpg

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    Ok, I took it out of the stock and played with it some more.

I see what you all mean about the real trigger going off before I even start to pull the accurelease. So it appears that this is opperator error. I will have to be more carefull pulling the trigger.

It seems to me that if I were to up the pull required to pull the real trigger some, it would make the whole thing less sensitive. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the trigger pull, since it is supposed to be adjustable.

I see not set screws or anything...does this mean i have to cut the spring? It seems that I've missplaced the instructions :banghead:

Please enjoy this giant photo of my piece :outta her:

:shocked2:

1268442771.JPG

Outdrdave

Mar 10, 2010
    CC, MD / OC, NJ
    think I see your problem unless you took something apart there... The adjustment is in that rear spring tension and there should be a set screw there.. the spring should not be hanging down. before you move your stock all around check and see if you were lucky and its in your stock or gun case. Wouldnt take much for it to fall out the trigger guard though.

1268442771.jpg

AccuT_Fig4.jpg

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    I got it. The set screw is inside the spring. It's located in the lower metal part that the spring goes thru. I just stuck a small jewler's flathead in there and tightened it a couple of turns. Hope that does it. Thanks!

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    You're going off two different trigger/action types in the photos above. Rimfire and center fire triggers and adjustments are nothing alike.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church

+1, a lot of guys I know like the Savage rifles, and the target ones can be REAL sensitive. Typically if they "trip" while cocking the striker doesn't actually just release, but the trigger mechanism will slip off the sear.

When messing with triggers so light, you have to watch for it.

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    I'm trying something new.

Click the pic for the report, please, if it seems small :)

c3251887.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Smith

Aug 10, 2010
    P.S. I know I'm late to the party here, and I live in Indiana, but this thread is the one reason I joined. I saw someone else having the same problem I was, and since I developed a fix Sunday, I was kind of hoping this might help, Mr. Buzzzy.

J.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom