• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    Recently, my son and I just started doing a lot of plinking with handguns.
    I have 2 questions and I guess I'll start with this one.
    I have a Sig p320. So it's striker fired. It doesn't have a de-cocker. It has a capacity of 13+1. When in battery, I feel uneasy about holstering.
    My question is should I not chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot or should I be doing something different?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You're fine. Just make sure that the holster is free of anything (shirt/jacket tail, coat draw string, etc...) that could get in the trigger guard. Millions of people carry and holster loaded striker fired pistols everyday.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    if you're just holstering while plinking, IMO it's your choice

carrying a chambered round for CCW is a different discussion IMO .

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If it's freaking you out, don't keep a round in the chamber.

Especially if you're just plinking at the range.

If your target stands begin attacking you, then you may want to reconsider things.

Moral of the story..... you being new to this, do what YOU are comfortable with.

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    If it's freaking you out, don't keep a round in the chamber.

Especially if you're just plinking at the range.

If your target stands begin attacking you, then you may want to reconsider things.

Moral of the story..... you being new to this, do what YOU are comfortable with.

LOL
    Sneaky target stands are unpredictable.
    Thanks

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    Okay
    Now if I decide to use this as my night stand gun... I guess I should store it in the holster too.?.
    I know I can chamber it later which maybe is what I should do in this case.

Opinions??

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Most people new to carry will carry without a round in the chamber. No issues. I carried for about a month will no round in the chamber.

I dunno if the 320's are like Glocks where once the trigger is pressed the trigger stays in a different location or if they reset to a forward position.
    But if they stay to the rear throw a snap cap in the chamber and just make a habit of showing yourself the trigger hasn't been pressed. It will help overcome your rational fear that the gun didn't go off by itself. (Yes I know guns don't go off by themselves but the first time you put on a holster you become hyperaware of anything touching the gun)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO, and it's JMO, holsters are for wearing. If you are in bed, why have it holstered? Just one more unnecessary step. And in this scenario, there is a round in the chamber as well.

JMO though.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Lots of opinions on that, chambered round or not for ready weapon. One principal no matter what choice, that finger never goes inside of trigger guard until you have a target.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Okay
    Now if I decide to use this as my night stand gun... I guess I should store it in the holster too.?.

Opinions??

As a night stand gun I'd keep one in the chamber. I use a triggerguard holster looped and secured to the nightstand. (The nightstand also holds a 25 pound weight to further secure it).

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have that same pistol. Feel the same way you do. I don't carry so no sense to keep a round in the chamber. I think if I carried this gun I'd get used to having a round chambered. Anyone handling a firearm should know to keep their finger off the trigger until ready to shoot anyhow. Even though I follow that rule religiously, it still makes me a little nervous keeping a round in the chamber,so I don't do it unless I'm ready to shoot.

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    The reason I thought of holstering while at the night stand was to protect the trigger and keep humidity off the gun. Not to wear it to bed.
    I like the idea of a nightstand holster. I might look into something like that.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Okay

Opinions??

As a nightstand gun I would hope you would have time to chamber a round. My thoughts are between the outside motion sensor lights, deadbolt locks, alarm,dog barking,etc. that I would have a little time to wake up and clear my head so I don't do something stupid.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bump in the night guns should have a round in the chamber.

No sense in trying to chamber a round, while half asleep, and wondering if you actually chambered a round.

And press-checking in the dark is something I don't want to do.

An old cigar box makes for a fine nightstand gun box too. Screw all that finger coded lockbox safety crap.

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD

No sense in trying to chamber a round, while half asleep, and wondering if you actually chambered a round.

An old cigar box makes for a fine nightstand gun box too. Screw all that finger coded lockbox safety crap.

I'm cool with that until I start having grandkids

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I wasn't a fan of holstering with a round in the chamber while the holster on my body so found this type of holster best for me. I can put the gun in first after inspection and pointed in a safe direction. Then the rig goes on my side with the trigger already covered. It comes off the same way. I like this because the trigger always stays covered .
    7ed12bc4654df701a479affb32c9d700.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park

I'd rather chamber a round while half asleep than accidentally shoot a loved one who forgot the alarm code or had too much to drink. Unless you sleep right next to an outside door, you should have time to think about the situation before reacting too hastily.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    YOU have to decide what is best for you and what you are comfortable with.

I do not chamber a round when casually shooting, until I am ready to shoot. I do not even have a mag in the pistol in the holster (if using one), unless I am planning on doing some drawing drills.

My ready firearm does have a round chambered. I have it in a soft case, but unzipped.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The decision sequence is out order.

If you are catagorically distrustful of striker fired pistols, you shouldn't buy a striker fired pistol ( other than purely range toy ).

There are a boatload of fine traditional DA/SA autopistols available, you should own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom