HEY, LETS GET PRACTICING! Post videos/evidence of your practice HERE!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I'm looking forward to the Vogel class video.

I got out and did a little practice yesterday after work. Froze my ass off, the wind was just killing me. Shot pretty well, I decided to do some doubles at 50 yards because it's fun. I struggled with this drill, and of course it was the only part of my session I got on camera. I use to do this drill with my open gun, Limited is much harder. I did manage a 1.94 with two hits, and a several 1 hit 1 miss attempts. This is something I'll be sure to work on from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5PQ344nLeE

I also checked my zero and 10 and 15. Then did the Dot drill, then moved to the 50. Back to 10 to do a couple El Prez, then doubles at 3,5,7,10,15, and 20. And finished up with three, 3.5 second bill drills at 25 yards, 5 A's 1C each time. I was pretty happy with that. At that point I was tired of being cold said F-it and left. I probably would of done different drills if it was warmer.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm looking forward to the Vogel class video.

I got out and did a little practice yesterday after work. Froze my ass off, the wind was just killing me. Shot pretty well, I decided to do some doubles at 50 yards because it's fun. I struggled with this drill, and of course it was the only part of my session I got on camera. I use to do this drill with my open gun, Limited is much harder. I did manage a 1.94 with two hits, and a several 1 hit 1 miss attempts. This is something I'll be sure to work on from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5PQ344nLeE

I also checked my zero and 10 and 15. Then did the Dot drill, then moved to the 50. Back to 10 to do a couple El Prez, then doubles at 3,5,7,10,15, and 20. And finished up with three, 3.5 second bill drills at 25 yards, 5 A's 1C each time. I was pretty happy with that. At that point I was tired of being cold said F-it and left. I probably would of done different drills if it was warmer.

How did you decide what drills to run? Also, that sounds like a lot of drills in one session. You must be really efficient, assuming you didn't spend several hours at the range. Do you keep a journal of your drill results? I pick-up brass after practicing too, which adds time.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I try to decide a head of time what I want to get done. I police brass at the end, although I left it all this time. This session I knew I wanted to check my zero, run the Dot drill, along with the 50 yard stuff. The rest I just filled in, I was cold so I started trying to think of things I could run with out pasting. The doubles are a good example, I only did a couple of runs at each distance to more get a base line and see if there was any where I really need more work. Probably shot 40 rounds total on these.

I try to be efficient, I was in and about in about 50 mins. I don't know that I really worked on anything so much as just tested myself at different distances. I was fairly happy with the results, I'll continue to dry fire as I have been that's really where I do most of my "work".

I have started writing down what I'm doing, and my times and hits to better track my training and help me plan out future sessions. Going forward I'll continue to work on some classifiers(mainly with hard cover or NS), start incorporating movement, along with lots of partials. I like working mostly out past 15 yards. Although in recent matches, I wasn't giving close partials enough respect. So that is something I'll be working on.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have old blade techs. I will be getting some new ones that allow me to get my hand deeper into the mag and are adjustable for better positioning when shooting Limited. Safariland makes some affordable ones. Got a %40 off card after taking Vogel's class (they sponser him) so I'll probably go that route.

I'm running double alpha racers.

My wife run's Ghost, they work but I'm not super thrilled with them.

Thanks for the advice. I couldn't get any of those delivered in time but did find a Blackhawk model. Just tested it out and it makes a huge difference.

I realize my cop friend recommended what made sense to him but not really the right tool for competition.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Here is a quick video from the Vogel class. My best run on the plate rack that day was 2.91. I thought that was pretty quick considering I rarely practice this live.
    Then Robert took a turn....and ran it in 2.46. He is a world champ after all.
    More footage to come as I get it trimmed up.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Anyone using laserlyte training lasers have problems with the laser not turning off? I have used the one I picked up on Sunday 3 nights now and it won't shut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Ok Trevor. Here is my first video practice session. It can be pretty intimidating watching your vids so I figured I might as well post one for us rookies out there.

Also I found out today at the eye dr that I am left Eye dominant so thats why I've got green tape covering my right eye. Trying to get used positioning the sights to the left side.

I'm focusing on a small 2" red target 10ft if my sight picture was good I would pull the trigger if it was outside I would call out the position out. It helped me keep track and look at things in the video I may have done incorrectly that could have thrown off my aim.

1.5 sec par single draw after about 5min
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVhfWy_-T1M

1.4 sec par singe draw after about 20min
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4BeLdhJE8

Mag change
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HC_f335LT0

Please critique especially if you see anything unsafe.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Ok Trevor. Here is my first video practice session. It can be pretty intimidating watching your vids so I figured I might as well post one for us rookies out there.

Also I found out today at the eye dr that I am left Eye dominant so thats why I've got green tape covering my right eye. Trying to get used positioning the sights to the left side.

I'm focusing on a small 2" red target 10ft if my sight picture was good I would pull the trigger if it was outside I would call out the position out. It helped me keep track and look at things in the video I may have done incorrectly that could have thrown off my aim.

Mag change

Excellent! I'm very glad to see you posting your practice John! Nothing to critique really. You know what you need to do to smooth things out. Interesting about your eye dominance. Tape on the glasses does work. I know a few good shooters who use that trick even when they aren't cross dominant. You might experiment with different size pieces of tape, or maybe some semi transparent tape to help preserve some of the peripheral in that eye.
    Keep up the good work. Make sure to track your progress. An informal log is fine though some guys get nuts and run spreadsheets to track their par times.
    And lastly get out to a match as soon as possible!!!

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009

Mag change

Just a thought on practicing reloads in dry fire. Personally I don't start with a mag in the gun 99.9% of the time. This saves me the time of bending over to pick up the dropped mag, so I can get more reps in less time. It also reduces the chances of me dropping a mag on a dog or cat. lol

I do other drills that will require more than one reload from time to time, this will allow me to confirm I'm not picking up any bad habits that may keep the mag from dropping clear.

1.5 second reload is a great, keep after it.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Can someone explain to me how to embed a video using tapatalk

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Just a thought on practicing reloads in dry fire. Personally I don't start with a mag in the gun 99.9% of the time. This saves me the time of bending over to pick up the dropped mag, so I can get more reps in less time. It also reduces the chances of me dropping a mag on a dog or cat. lol

I do other drills that will require more than one reload from time to time, this will allow me to confirm I'm not picking up any bad habits that may keep the mag from dropping clear.

1.5 second reload is a great, keep after it.

Exactly, right on the reloads without dropping a mag. I'll do it once and a while to make sure I'm being honest about pressing the mag release hard enough. And for video just to show that it's a legit run. Otherwise you will get more reps in without dropping it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Can someone explain to me how to embed a video using tapatalk

Save your video to you tube first and check the box "Unlisted - anyone with link can view"
    18723e8908eed276ff2f16b2d0a031a3.jpg

Then in Tapatalk hit the [/] button
    c22d05b708f814a049c36acff3eff1c3.jpg

Paste the link to the youtube video into the [URL ] link goes here [/ URL]

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Thanks trying to upload first dry fire training with DIY laser target and using point and shoot technique Roaddawg was talking to me about

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

I have one of those for my AR that I use for high power match practice and charging the bolt after each shot is not that disruptive to the practice routine since slow fire is single shot only.

For hand gun practice do you find that having to rack the bolt after every shot interrupts the normal practice routine? I think If I had one of these I might try to create a drill where you draw from your holster and fire just one shot. Or maybe reload, acquire target and then fire. It may simulate better a type situation that would improve actual match scores.

One thing check out the pc app shootoff. Its in this thread. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=199365. You can setup that program to register shots on actual USPSA/ISPA targets targets or to project targets using an LCD projector. Then record shots and actually score those shots.

Now lets see some timed draws.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Racking the slide is a little pain but I was just practicing point and shoot no sights. I need to get a holster for the Glock so I can practice draw and shoot. I really want to pick up a G17 and start running USPSA this year

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Here's another video from the Bob Vogel class last week. It was a fun little mini stage where the idea is to see how many things you can shoot after you hit the activator popper and catch the swinger on the way back behind the no shoot. I used Bob's strategy of shooting the activator and clearing all steel and target to the right of the swinger and catching the swinger on the way back then finishing off the left steel. He shot it in 3.41 secs and my best run was 4.44 which I was very happy with. I had 3 Alphas and 1 Delta on paper. The Delta was on the swinger. This kind of thing gives me more confidence to shoot more stuff after an activator which does save loads of time on a stage. Distance was about 10 yards

EDIT: found Bob Vogel's run. So beautiful.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Here is some footage of my practice for the VA Indoor IDPA Regionals Major which I shot last weekend.
    Since half the match is shot in full dark, figuring out the flashlight was pretty important. I did my best to find what worked for my grip, gun and light. It came out ok. First vid is drawing to get the grip with the light, and the 2nd is reloads with the light. At the end of each video I show how Im holding the light. On the draw Im drawing to a 1/3 scale target with a no shoot bordering the A zone. I got down to 1.1 secs which is much slower than my normal draw, but getting that light positioned right is challenging. I got a couple 1.2 sec reloads but I struggle throughout the practice as you can see.
    It all paid off though, as I did well at the match.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I will be getting Ben Stoegers book - Dry Fire Reloaded for my birthday at the end of the month. I'll post some vids of the practice drills from that book. Till then some one else post some vids!!!

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I've been lazy the last few weeks and need to get off my ass. I'm still doing okay with keeping up with my AM dry fire, just not PM. Not really getting the verity I should be getting and not making noticeable gains.

On a good note I did get some video of my wife dry firing, I just need to edit it down some and post it. I just told her to do the 4 Aces drill, and she was able to get the par down to around 3 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom