• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    My agency was hosting this down in Georgia this past week and I was fortunate enough to go. Aside from the 10 hour drive to and from, it was a great course! The two instructors that Sig had sent were Scott Reidy, their head instructor, and Jim Meyers.

Scott Reidy ran the 2 day rifle portion and did a great job. Off the bat they tested us on the clock "cold" to see where we were at, but since it was their school, we had to do things their way, which involved heavy use of putting the weapon on safe. This was something most of us don't do on a normal basis so it took a bit of getting used to. There were a ton of graded evolutions that went to a final score for the Rifle portion and the overall score. I was using a borrowed M4 from my agency which was great on day 1, but we switched to some Federal lead free stuff on Day 2 and it was keyholing like crazy. I ended up having to switch rifles right before the qual and didn't have time to zero, so I just said my prayers and let them fly. Consequently, I wasn't able to get the rifle qual unfortunately. They give you 2 shots per month for a year but there has to be a Sig instructor there to witness it. I will definitely be shooting it with some lead ammo next time around.

The pistol portion was taught by Jim Meyers, who is a former Jersey State Police Captain and a total character. He grew up just across the bridge from me and so we had a lot in common from back home. His teaching style is way laid back and he intentionally does this to lessen the stress of everything. They talked about some different ideas as far as sight pictures, stances, teaching techniques, etc. Sig uses an app called "Coach's Eye" that you can use to video tape and dissect what you're doing. As an instructor, its not often I'm the one who gets the watchful eye and I was able to pick up on some things that I could do to get faster. We did a lot of the graded evolutions, just like in the rifle and ended the day with the qual. They intentionally put it at the end when you are tired to see what you can do under those conditions. If you can pass it on that, you've got no problems doing it fresh. 6 out of 16 of us passed on the pistol qualifiation, me included. You basically are shooting at an 8 inch circle in the chest and a 4 inch circle in the face. The fun part is that you can't actually see the scoring area from beyond 3 yards and the whole target is black, so it makes your sight picture a bit more difficult. Again, there were ammo issues with the 94 grain 9mm lead free ammo that our agency was giving us. In the Glock 17's, a number of us found the ammo shot pretty high at 25 yards, as much as 6 inches in some of the guns.

By some miracle, or more likely math error, I was the high shooter overall. There were some fantastic instructors with crazy amounts of experience, so for me that was a big deal. I got a nice little patch and a coin for my achievement. I can't recommend the school and instructors enough. They definitely gave me some things to chew on afterwards to improve not only other shooters, but myself as well.

Attachments

• sig coin.jpg
      sig coin.jpg
      102.2 KB · Views: 911
    Last edited:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Always hear good things about the Sig Academy. Scott Reidy is a name that comes up a lot (in a good way). Nice job!

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Scott absolutely knows his stuff. I hadn't heard of Jim before but he is a great instructor as well. Work paid for another trip years ago and we had Scott Kenneson who was another quality instructor. I like that even though they are affiliated with Sig they aren't there pushing their products. Both shot 320s and MCX's with Sig optics but none had anything negative to say about other choices in firearms. As Jim said, "It's a 2 pound tool" and its the person running it that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom