• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I'm a huge believer too...won't hunt without one in warm weather. To make the pads/fuel last longer, I turn the heat all the way up for first 5-10 minutes, then turn it down as low as possible while still keeping the mosquitoes away. This is a purchase you will not regret!

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have one. Used it once deer hunting, but I think my full head net is what was really doing the work. I'll have to give it another shot here in next few weeks.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm a huge believer too...won't hunt without one in warm weather. To make the pads/fuel last longer, I turn the heat all the way up for first 5-10 minutes, then turn it down as low as possible while still keeping the mosquitoes away. This is a purchase you will not regret!

How do you turn it all the way up? All I see is an on/off dial.

Another question: Is it really safe to breathe in the vapors this thing gives off?

Last edited:

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    Back in the day, Avons used to sell the best mosquito repellant. They haven't sold it in years. But it was great stuff.

My dad loved the stuff in the 90's. They still sell Skin So Soft with some bug repellent that works like a champ during the PA Trout Opener. We used to keep the deodorant stick style sunscreen with repellent in all our tackle boxes.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    I absolutely use a Thermacell in the early season... well... most of the season I hunt in MD. In PA most of the bugs are dead, and I'm screwed if we have a hot day since I normally don't bring it for that leg of my trip.

Doesn't work well when moving fast, but it keeps a bubble around you while you're spotting and stalking. Also do not advise it when inside a groundblind or tent.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    They work, however I wont use one when I hunt. Im super careful about my scent in the woods. anytime I can sit something 2 ft below me and I can smell it, you cant convince me that a mature buck doesn't smell it 300yds away.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My dad loved the stuff in the 90's. They still sell Skin So Soft with some bug repellent that works like a champ during the PA Trout Opener. We used to keep the deodorant stick style sunscreen with repellent in all our tackle boxes.

It was a great product line. I have 1 small bottle of the repellant left. I don't use it for everyday outings. That is my secret stash.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I used mine tonight and it worked as advertised. It took about 10 minutes until the skeeters stayed away. A couple tried to come by but they couldn't take it. The wind was pretty calm at the time.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I use mine on the back porch when I feed the squirrels. I set it out maybe 5-10 minutes before to give it time to "work". Weird feeling sitting there when you're used to swatting at mosquitos and then you don't have to.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It does take a few minutes to get the pad hot enough to start to release the permethrin, but they work!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You can still buy the Avon products and they work well.

I tired to find this particular product a few years ago. I was told it was discontinued. They did however bring out a replacement. From what I've heard, it doesn't work as good as the old stuff.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom