• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Im looking to load subsonic rounds for a ar9 suppressed. I would like to use 147 grain .356 cast bullets and I would like them to be quiet and still cycle my ar fairly reliably. What would be a good powder and charge to accomplish this? Would I be better off going with a heavier .358 158 grain bullet? Can I use the load data for jacketed bullets for the same weight lead bullets?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have not loaded for an AR9, but 147gr factory 9mm cartridges are subsonic already. The 158gr .358 cast is for a 357 mag loading. No, jacketed and lead load data are not the same. Lead projectiles are typically loaded lighter than equivalent jacketed boolits (they can't handle the same pressures). I would suggest researching load data for typical 147gr 9mm loads. You will find what you need. ;)

The 16" barrel will bump velocity a bit over standard factory pistol loads, but not that much, I suspect..

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Im looking to load subsonic rounds for a ar9 suppressed. I would like to use 147 grain .356 cast bullets and I would like them to be quiet and still cycle my ar fairly reliably. What would be a good powder and charge to accomplish this? Would I be better off going with a heavier .358 158 grain bullet? Can I use the load data for jacketed bullets for the same weight lead bullets?

3.2-3.6gns Titegroup is a standard reload formula for 147gr bullet, but I only load coated and plated bullets. I don't do cast bullets

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I use either plated or cast and coated for my 147 subs.

3.1 gn of N310 with a berry's 147@ 1.160 is my "go to".

3.2 of N320 or tight group with the same OAL are good #2 and 3.

I have not loaded for an AR9, but 147gr factory 9mm cartridges are subsonic already. The 158gr .358 cast is for a 357 mag loading. No, jacketed and lead load data are not the same. Lead projectiles are typically loaded lighter than equivalent jacketed boolits (they can't handle the same pressures). I would suggest researching load data for typical 147gr 9mm loads. You will find what you need. ;)

The 16" barrel will bump velocity a bit over standard factory pistol loads, but not that much, I suspect..
    the only factory 9mm i have found that is consistently subsonic out of my 16" barrel are 158 grain loads.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Here you go. 147gr LFP with 2.4gr of Titegroup. It cycled fine out of my 9mm AR, back when it worked. 870 fps out of a 16" barrel when I checked with a cronograph. Sounds like a .22.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I wouldn't run was lubed lead through a suppressor unless you can take it apart to clean but if you can get one to run with 2.4 of TG, if should be pretty darn quiet out of a 16" barrel even without a can.

DrSeuss

Mar 28, 2013
    I'm using Extreme 147gr with 3.9 gr of Winchester AutoComp. My chrono reported 890 out of my M&P 5" barrel. I did not use a chronograph with my AR9s but I did not have any problems cycling with the 50 or so test rounds I made up. One AR9 has a 5.5" barrel with an Silencerco Octane45 and the other has a 10.5" barrel with a Surefire Ryder. Both are running PSA bolts but they are running H2 and H3 buffers and some heavy recoil springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom