I HATE Using Corn Cob Media in a Vibratory Tumbler!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Why? Because the dayum kernels get stuck in the primer pockets and flash holes! :tantrum: (Having said that I feel better already. ;))

Over almost 30 years of reloading I've used many different medias and additives to tumble cases. About all types of media and polish get the cases clean. I've found walnut media works the best for me. And every time I put corn cob media in a tumbler, I regret it.

So, "Why does j8064 have corn cob media in his tumbler"? Because the walnut media needed changing and he had a bag of corn cob on hand. :banghead:

Here's what I mean about dealing with corn cob. The small batch of 9mm cases is shiny. But the random cases I looked at with corn cob kernels stuck in the flash holes means I'll need to inspect and manually clear every case. For a batch of plinking rounds destined to feed a Hi-Point carbine, that's extra work I don't need.

With walnut media, the grains are small so the they rarely become lodged in primer pockets or flash holes.

I have more walnut media on the way. :thumbsup:

Rant over...

:D

Attachments

• DSC08127.jpg
      DSC08127.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 470
    • DSC08128 SNIP.jpg
      DSC08128 SNIP.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 480

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I love the results that come from corn cob just got done polishing some 9mm but my process maybe be different from yours I end up with clean and shinny cases. Decap, primary cleaning (old corn cob with walnut) resize and prime, secondary polish (corn cob with additive)... etc... so maybe try cleaning before depriming depending on your specific set of steps of reloading 9. Or switch to wet tumbling with SS pins.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Fun, ain't it? And if you tumble first and then decap, the pin STILL won't always clear it. Then a piece sits sideways and hides tight, just to see if you're really seeing what you're looking at and paying attention.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I've been using corn cob for the last year with no ill effects. I love how much faster it is. If you're just making pistol/blasting ammo tumble then deprime. And even if there is a small piece still stuck in the flash hole I doubt it would keep the round from going off. The primer explosion would clear out that little flake in a hurry.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I tumble brass with old primer .. deprime after cleaning brass.

Having progressive loader helps also.. with deprimer . Will clear the flash hole.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Corncob. Ground walnut shells (lizard bedding).

On the Dillon, I don't even give them a second thought.

When working up a load, or loading on the RockChucker, I'll clean the primer pocket and flash hole.

At least I'm doing something relaxing. :shrug:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are different sizes of corn cob media. Get smaller or larger.

I have been using corn cob media for 30+ years. I like it.

To each his own.

BTW though, if you use the corn cob bedding material from Pet Smart, it is just the right size to PACK .223 cases solid with media. :) The Lyman media is smaller and does not do this.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I use 'cob/walnut and like it, but I understand your pain. Especially with .223. Once the media decides to make its way through the case mouth, it's hard to remove sometimes. If it's expendable brass, it goes in the trash and I don't even worry about it. If it's my good brass, I've had to spend a few minutes coaxing the 'cob out. Can be a PITA.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like corncob, can find it for dirt cheap as pet bedding, or "premium" cat litter, $6 for a 10# bag at Walmart. Does a good job with a little polish, and works quick. I used walnut once, came with a messy rouge, and was really dusty, so back to corncob I went. I tumble all brass before depriming anyway, so nothing gets stuck in the flash hole. Pistol ammo doesn't need another cleaning, rifle brass gets tumbled to clean the lube off after sizing. If I load on the progressive, I add a universal decapping die to the first stage, if it's a small batch or caliber I load on a single stage, I use a trimmer pilot that pushes media out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Corncob sucks. Walnut is better but I find I need to run it a few times with drier sheets to get rid of the dust. After that, it cleans way brighter. Add in a mixture of liquid car wax(NuFinish) diluted in mineral spirits and comes out shiny as a new penny.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I use both....walnut for first tumble (spent brass with primer still in).....then resize and tumble in the corn cob for getting the lube off.

I know...too much work lol

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I use the fine corn cob "Top Hat" used to sell at the shows. No issues even with the small flash hole in BR brass. The larger grain cob was always a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom