• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Go over and ask them when they come out. Maybe they have written permission from the condo town-home owners which is a must in Md. but I doubt it but you never know. If they are not on your land it may not be worth getting involved. The other thing is they don't have to ask you or the neighbors if they are doing everything in accordance to regulations they might own the piece and are just walking in from the other side.
    This is a good point also.. if you are hunting privately owned land in MD, you need written permission from the landowner (unless you are the landowner) in your possession as well..

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Deer are a nuisance. Safe and legal hunting is important and sound management. Sounds like a lot of unknown, Don't be a "Darn Fool" for what you don't know.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    OP,
    Do you know who owns the woods or the old pasture? Do you feel comfortable talking to the neighbor who is giving permission of sorts? You might poke around in the woods and see if you can find a stand. That might give you more info. You could also leave a note asking them to give you a call. Its your business, not mine, but it feels like not everybody involved is working off the same set of facts and assumptions.

MG

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Haa. Yeah right... Condo hoa? That's funny.

I know a lot of guys that bow-hunt urban areas some involved in the trades that do stuff right and get permission and some that could care less. If there not on your land why worry about it. It wouldn't be so funny if fido wound up with a anti-freeze cocktail. Like I said,go and ask them when they come out, if its that big a deal. If you witness something wrong that's another story. More than likely these fellas may be taking advantage of some public openspace but without confirming it who knows.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The woods are county owned, as they are considered wetlands- that is where they hunt. The pasture/field is owned by "their friend".
    They are definitely hunting within 150yds of >20 residences- mine included. The pool is at the condo buildings.
    I won't post my address, but this will show you the neighborhood they're hunting. Google the following:
    Warren's Auto Service Pikesville
    Click Maps
    Click Satellite View
    That is my neighborhood and where they're in the woods until ~9:00pm almost every night. I am very pro 2A, as well as pro food and population control hunting. I question the ethics of hunting here. This is why I started asking questions.
    That is questionable as it doesn't look like much distance from residences. If you are concerned, call the DNR.. They will deal with it for you.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If I"m in a stand, I don't immediatly walk out to my car from the woods 1/2hr after sunset. It takes me time to disarm my crossbow, drop my stuff down to the ground with line, safely climb down (I have a climbing stand). decock the crossbow, detatch the stand from the tree and pack it up. Look around so I did not forget anything. BS with my hunting buddy, then walk out. I think the first few times i was out, I was not walking till about an hour and a half after sunset. Last time, I'd say it was more like 1:15 past sunset (45 minutes including BS with my son) then 20 minute walk.

Still sounds like they are breaking DNR regs. You can
    1) call it in
    2) do nothing
    3) leave a note that you will be calling it in.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yeah its tight in there now, they should move over west of 695 to the golf Woodholme golf course. That was all good deer hunting in and around there till they built 795. Not to mention the reservoirs are not that far away. You may have a valid point but I still wouldn't worry about it to much. They could be back in there shooting dope or something instead of deer.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    is there a place where not having 100% permission they can hunt in that piece of land? likely not having 150 yards of space.

however if they have permission from a few they could make it happen...

safe.... if they have tree stands and aren't morons (asking a lot i know...), it is safe, but likely not legal.

personally, if they aren't drinking, and litering and making a ruckus, i'd just be aware about it and let it be. but that is just me, and i let people make their own decisions and if i don't think they are going to hurt me or mine... but if the deer runs and collapses on my property.... well looks like im getting some bambi

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If I"m in a stand, I don't immediatly walk out to my car from the woods 1/2hr after sunset. It takes me time to disarm my crossbow, drop my stuff down to the ground with line, safely climb down (I have a climbing stand). decock the crossbow, detatch the stand from the tree and pack it up. Look around so I did not forget anything. BS with my hunting buddy, then walk out. I think the first few times i was out, I was not walking till about an hour and a half after sunset. Last time, I'd say it was more like 1:15 past sunset (45 minutes including BS with my son) then 20 minute walk.

Still sounds like they are breaking DNR regs. You can
    1) call it in
    2) do nothing
    3) leave a note that you will be calling it in.
    Good point, the late hour should not be a concern.. If you are bowhunting in the woods, you can't shoot after legal shooting time (1/2 hour after sunset) cos you can't see the deer in the dark.. lol and.. I often get caught in a stand at last light and have to wait, however long it takes (could be an hour or two) before I can get down without alerting the deer nearby. I can do that, legally, as long as I don't 'hunt' after legal time (shoot a deer).

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    My family used to have a house in Dulaney Valley. My sister had her friend who was a deputy sheriff come over and walk the woods. they pulled 5 tree stands off the property. NO ONE had permission to hunt there. A**holes are all over the place, giving honest hunters a bad name.

Call DNR, press charges.

Good luck

Jerry

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    The woods are county owned, as they are considered wetlands- that is where they hunt. The pasture/field is owned by "their friend".
    They are definitely hunting within 150yds of >20 residences- mine included. The pool is at the condo buildings.
    I won't post my address, but this will show you the neighborhood they're hunting. Google the following:
    Warren's Auto Service Pikesville
    Click Maps
    Click Satellite View
    That is my neighborhood and where they're in the woods until ~9:00pm almost every night. I am very pro 2A, as well as pro food and population control hunting. I question the ethics of hunting here. This is why I started asking questions.

Looked at the map. Pretty tight in there. Don't see any way for that area to be hunted without multiple violations of the Baltimore County 150-yard rule.

Don't consider it unethical (or dangerous, if done thoughtfully) to hunt small woodlots, particularly when the herd is overpopulated. However, hunting your area "legally" would require written permission from numerous households, no matter where in the area they are hunting. If they don't have written permission from all households within 150 yards, then their actions are unlawful.

:thumbsup: Been there many times myself.

I think sunset was 1908 hrs today. It's possible that one of them has scored every night and they all pitched in to help. It's also possible these guys know they're illegal and that's why they're leaving so late ... being sneaky.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I would be more concerned with Warren' s Auto Services in my neighborhood. . Looks like the use is listed as residential and zoning doesn't allow auto services.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Like several people have stated, it all comes down to whose property it is and if they have permission. The actual printed regulations are:

~It is illegal to hunt or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. For archery hunters this distance is 100 yards in Anne Arundel and Montgomery counties and 50 yards in Calvert, Carroll, Frederick, and St. Mary’s counties. In Harford County, the distance for archery hunters is now 50 yards, however, archers must use a tree stand when hunting between 50 and 100 yards of an occupied dwelling or other building.
    ~Archery hunters are not required to wear fluorescent orange (see Fluorescent Orange Clothing Requirements & Exemptions) within the regular Archery Season dates.

Is it your property? Is it property of someone you know? Are they making a nuisance of themselves? Are they being noticeably unsafe?

You can make the landowner aware of what is going on and let them deal with it - otherwise....Not my circus, Not my monkeys.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Now that you say it's been 5 times until 9pm they are breaking the law. Sunset is 7:30ish right now, so after 8 is poaching. Call DNR.

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    You might try to talk to your neighbor before calling the law. Then if you ever had to call DNR for obvious poaching you would not be the town crier.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom