It is September 1st. Seeing any in "hard horn" yet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I built my house about 5 years ago and have been working on a spot to draw them in and this is the first really nice buck I have seen. Usually I see a spike buck or a small 4 pointer but the work put is finally paying off. I have hunted public land before and didn't have any luck but the first time I went to hunt public land I walked around a corner where I was going to sit and there was a doe about 10 yards away and darted off. Never saw a deer after that haha.

3 seasons ago was my first year. Had still hunted down the back side of a hill and had a good sized, maybe 2 1/2 year did come within 30 yds of me broadside. I fumbled with some ear plugs and as I started to raise my muzzleloader it bolted and was gone in two hops. That was 45 minutes after day light in early ML my very first day hunting ever.

I spent about 28hrs over the next 3 days and setup around 4:30 on what I thought was a likely spot on the top of a U on a small hill with a creek nearby. Good sized 8 point walked out of the super thick crap 125yds away and browsed its way to 75yds out when I shot it right above the heart. Went 2 bounds and down. That was 2 minutes before sunset. Took an hour to figure out how to field dress it (was perplexed by the diaphram) and an hour to drag it the 250yds to my car. I wasn't in as good a shape, didn't know how to drag it (I was trying to drag it by the front feet and the antlers were catching on everything) and that sucker was probably 130lbs field dressed.

A memory I will absolutely never forget (or if I do, might as well put me down. Life probably isn't worth living at that point).

Since I am at least a few years away from being able to afford a hunting property and probably won't do a lease, it'll be learning more (I feel like I have learned a heck of a lot), getting out there earlier and more time afield as well as learning some more of the good spots to get larger bucks on public land.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    3 seasons ago was my first year. Had still hunted down the back side of a hill and had a good sized, maybe 2 1/2 year did come within 30 yds of me broadside. I fumbled with some ear plugs and as I started to raise my muzzleloader it bolted and was gone in two hops. That was 45 minutes after day light in early ML my very first day hunting ever.

I spent about 28hrs over the next 3 days and setup around 4:30 on what I thought was a likely spot on the top of a U on a small hill with a creek nearby. Good sized 8 point walked out of the super thick crap 125yds away and browsed its way to 75yds out when I shot it right above the heart. Went 2 bounds and down. That was 2 minutes before sunset. Took an hour to figure out how to field dress it (was perplexed by the diaphram) and an hour to drag it the 250yds to my car. I wasn't in as good a shape, didn't know how to drag it (I was trying to drag it by the front feet and the antlers were catching on everything) and that sucker was probably 130lbs field dressed.

A memory I will absolutely never forget (or if I do, might as well put me down. Life probably isn't worth living at that point).

Since I am at least a few years away from being able to afford a hunting property and probably won't do a lease, it'll be learning more (I feel like I have learned a heck of a lot), getting out there earlier and more time afield as well as learning some more of the good spots to get larger bucks on public land.

I bought a deer cart and it makes life a lot easier for me. I started hunting about 7 years ago and had to learn a lot on the fly too. I will never forget when I was dressing my first or second deer and cut open the gut by accident. Yeah... wont do that again.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    These stories brought back memories of my first unsupervised hunts a few years ago but I'm hesitant to get too far off topic. Will start another thread and see what people care to share :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom