• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I am curious to see what loads folks have used using RL 10X. From everything that I have read, it is only good for light bullets.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've had excellent results with 10x in .223 Remington. In my older 12 twist Rem. 700 Varmint, it's my favorite powder bar none for 40 and 50 grain Vmax/Zmax. The 50's and 55's shoot very well also in my 9 twist Savage 11 sporter weight with 10x, but that rifle can't squeeze the precision of what the heavy barrel Remington can. Still plenty precise enough.

10x is also a favorite dual purpose steel and accuracy powder for me in my 9 twist Colt AR with the Hornady 55 grain SP #2266. I've found 10x to have several discernible accuracy nodes. I slow these down around 2800 for range purposes. Very good results on paper in my rifle, but also they're easier on steel and the gun both at that lower velocity. 10x has been noted to be temperature sensitive. I've not noted that in my usage, but I haven't let it cook on top of an August dashboard either.

I tend to concentrate most of my reloading efforts on hunting bullets. In the case of the 55 grain #2266, that's my inexpensive "blasting bullet". I get notably better accuracy with that bullet in my AR than I do with the more common and almost same price FMJ. I've never fired a shot of RL-10 with any bullet heavier than 55 grains. Me, I'd be thinking a slower powder for bullets north of 55.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't used 10x for .223/5.56 duty personally.

Honestly, I've always had such good luck with H335 (from 55gr to 77gr) that I never bothered to try anything else.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Never tried it myself. I've always had such great performance with Varget in my .223 loads in my rifles it has become my first choice. IMR3031, IMR4064 and BLC(2) also work well.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I've used it in my 223 bolt rifle and it shot good with 55 gr Sierra Blitzkings. My load was 22.5 gr @ 3100 fps and COL was 61mm.
    I was getting groups of .6"
    I could have played with it more and done better but N-133 shot better so I left it at that.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I got some after recommendation by salesman but haven't considered it after looking at loading data. Going to stick with AA2230 or AA2460 for my heavy bullets. Interestingly, there is loading data for the .35 Whelen using it which looks promising although where they got Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets to test it with is a mystery.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Shot this group over the weekend.

.223 Remington, RL-10, CCI 400 and 50 grain Z-Max.

100 yards, Savage Model 11 sporter weight, 10 shots.

Charge weights purposely omitted, worked up within Hornady data parameters. But yes, RL-10 has been a good powder for me.

Byf43 might recognize this target. :thumbsup: :)

Attachments

• .223 10 SHOT GROUP.jpg
      .223 10 SHOT GROUP.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 2,559

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Charge weights purposely omitted, worked up within Hornady data parameters. But yes, RL-10 has been a good powder for me.

Yes, indeed.

It does look familiar!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Nice shooting.:thumbsup:

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I just loaded several rounds of Uncle Dukes and Outriders recipes for this weekend. Of course they are two different powders and charge weights. It is extremely nice to have options. Thanks to both of you, you both have a page in my book. Range reports coming soon.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use RL10x and H322 in my heavy 6.8 SPC loads. I use Benchmark for 55gr bullets, because I get the same performance as other powders but I use 2 grains less powder per round. The same reason I use Titegroup for my 9mm loads. I have other powders for other calibers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom