• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    I have been doing some research on IDPA ( youtube, IDPA.com, searches here at MDS)and would like to watch a match or two. I have a few questions that Im sure will be easy to answer.

1. Can I just show up and watch a match or would I have to tag along with somone in the event?

2. What is the most common cal used, 9mm, .40, .45, .357?

3. How do I go about getting started? Do I have to join IDPA.com or a local IDPA chapter?

4. What is the average cost for an event?

5. Anyone close to Middle River who wouldnt mind me tagging along at an event.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    My experience is limited to Sanners IDPA, but here goes:

1. In most cases you can go to a match and walk around, watch, and ask questions. If your comfortable and safe with a pistol though, you may as well just shoot the match. You will learn much more by shooting the event.

2. At the matches I shoot, SSP is the largest division, with 9mm being the most used caliber. CDP 1911 45 is the next most widely used.

3. You will need to join IDPA, via idpa.com. some places will let you shoot a couple of times before becoming a member of IDPA to make sure you want to participate. I don't know of any local IDPA club membership dues...

4. I would say 10-15 for a normal local event, plus your ammo (usually less than 90 rounds). If it is a state or national match then it will be considerably more.

5. Sorry, I'm in SOMD.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    thurmont...matches usually start at 2, new shooter orientation(free class) starts at noon. Go through orientation, you learn everything you need to know to shoot(assuming you've already got a foundation in the basics) and then pay $15 to shoot. Later that night, you go online and join idpa to get their fancy card thing. They send you a box with some literature and a hat a little later. Bring the card they send you(or just the #) next time you go shoot at an event. Chip usually sends the scores to your email fairly quickly after you shoot.

http://tcandsc.org/tcscIDPAMatches.htm

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    There is a match this Friday (4/6/12) at 10am at AAF&G near Annapolis. Guests are always welcome to stop by and watch and ask questions. They will let you shoot a match or two prior to joining IDPA. They run several matches throught the month. Very friendly group and very relaxed matches, except for safety of course.

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    There is a match this Friday (4/6/12) at 10am at AAF&G near Annapolis. Guests are always welcome to stop by and watch and ask questions. They will let you shoot a match or two prior to joining IDPA. They run several matches throught the month. Very friendly group and very relaxed matches, except for safety of course.

I checked AAF&G site and it dont have anything listed for 4/6/12, it has a IDPA Women's Clinic listed for 4/7/12. Am I looking in the wrong place?http://www.aafg.org/

ElDunco

Jul 21, 2008
    Silver Spring
    I'm in the same boat right now. There's a match next Wednesday, the 11th, at Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly. Scheduled to start at 6pm, which might be easier than the midday for AAFG. My office is right around the corner from the range so I'll more than likely be attending. I'm planning on stopping by probably this evening and chatting with the guys there and getting some info about the match. If anyones interested I'll be happy to post what I find out.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hopefully for you it's not, but more than likely it is full. they run a mthly match at blue ridge ($20/event) and i do all i can to sign up early for the coming year and even then sometimes some time slots are full. i'm actually signed up for the 7pm squad, name's dave if you want to say Hi (green range bag with some neon zip ties). it is a fun place for idpa, they normally run around 4-5 shooters per hour time slot (normally 6, 7, 8 and 9pm), a couple of stages, in and out quick without having to drive 2-3 hours. occasionally they will do a two gun instead (rifle and pistol).

sometimes even with full slots, someone will cancel last minute and a walk-on will get lucky.

JackBlundell

Jul 20, 2008
    I'll be in the 6 PM squad at Blue Ridge next Wednesday. I agree with Davsco's suggestion about walking on. People sign up for these matches months in advance and a surprising number don't show up. Bring your gear.

ElDunco

Jul 21, 2008
    Silver Spring
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll make sure I bring everything along. Even if I can't shoot I'm sure it'll be a fantastic learning opportunity. Sorry about hijacking your thread a bit bigred!

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    We had several no shows last Friday (5/4) at AAFG. Great stages set up by Skip Miller, the match director.
    Any update from bigred?

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    I had to put it on the back burner due to work. A guy broke his hand and has been out and we had to cover his shifts, but he should be back soon.

jayc0968

Cpl, U.S.M.C. 87-92
    Sep 22, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    Caution bigred- it's addictive! Shoot some pistol matches to get comfortable then you might want to try DMG or 3 Gun. Mad rush!
    Some days I shoot well, some days I don't. But it's all fun.
    I'll be shooting the match Saturday at AAFG. I love the smell of Bullseye in the morning...

jbollman

MDCreeper
    Jul 9, 2009
    After putting it off all last year I got round to trying it out this year.
    So much fun. Very upset at myself for not getting out sooner.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After putting it off all last year I got round to trying it out this year.
    So much fun. Very upset at myself for not getting out sooner.

I put it off for years, I only started three years ago. Punching paper at the range is fun, competition shooting takes it to a much higher level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom