• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Blue Ridge Arsenal, indoor range in Chantilly, VA (Rts 28 & 50 near Dulles) just announced dates for their 2012 IDPA and 2 gun events. They fill super fast. Believe they have 6, 7, 8 & 9pm timeslots, might also have 5pm.

Call them to sign up, $20 each.

http://www.blueridgearsenal.com/contact

(703) 818-0230

Jan 11, 1911-style idpa

Feb 8, 2 gun

March 14, idpa classifier

April 11, idpa

May 9, 2gun

June 13, classifier

July 11, 2 gun

August 8 idpa (revolver)

Sept 12, 2 gun

Oct 10 classifier

Nov 14, 2 gun

Dec 12, idpa

rundownfid

May 3, 2010
    How are they doing the two gun? I imagine only pistol caliber carbines and pistols would be doable? Before I commit to one ha anyone here done this match?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I have done their idpa and 2 gun matches. It's a range where you can shoot .223 and .308 and i believe bigger than that, so they are allowed and used in their 2 gun matches.

these are quick (1 hour time slots, generally 4 or so shooters per hour) and fun, generally 3-4 stages. as you might expect, vs an outdoors uspsa match, it's much more scaled down as it's done in 10 lanes (1/2) of the range.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I wonder if they'll let me use my Enfield on that 2-gun match? :lol:

The hard part of shooting there is the lighting sucks. I could not see the sights on my pre-Model 10 when I shot it there. I got fiber optics on my GP100, I think I'll shoot that if I can find a better holster for it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The lighting does suck, and in some matches they actually make it darker. I used to hate that but in reality it gives some practice for low light situations...

atreeves

Apr 6, 2011
    Okay, now I'm excited!

Anyone know if there is a qualifier for the 2gun? I had been wanting to try and get into IDPA and I know there are numerous threads on getting into that, so I don't want to rehash that. That said is the 2gun done the same way?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i don't think their 2 gun is sanctioned or reported to idpa. just some fun with pistol and rifle but they do keep score.

they'll give you the rundown for each stage, relatively easy to follow. pretty much the same rules and processes as idpa pistol.

JackBlundell

Jul 20, 2008
    They had a COMBLOC-themed match back in November. Almost everyone showed up with an AK. Some even had CZ and Makarov pistols. One guy had a Norinco 1911. What the hell, it's fun.

JackBlundell

Jul 20, 2008
    Blue Ridge Arsenal is four miles from where I work, so I shoot there every week and go to as many of their matches as possible. I also score the matches, since I can't wait to see how I did. :D

To elaborate on what's been said already, their IDPA matches are 3 to 4 stages with about 50 rounds. Their 2 gun matches are 3 stages with about 60 rifle rounds and 60 pistol rounds. Centerfire pistol carbines are permitted, as well as carbines in rifle calibers up to .308. In the 2 gun matches, both guns may be loaded to magazine capacity unless otherwise directed in the stage briefing. There are 2 divisions in the 2 gun matches, rifle with optics and rifle with iron sights. Most people run AR-15s chambered for 5.56 and fitted with optics.

The stages are very inventive, and make the most of the 40' wide by 75' deep shooting bay.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    20yrs ago I shot the winter IPSC and monthly IDPA matches. I worked 4mi from there building mission specific equipment packages and military prototypes. One night I was running the IDPA house clearing style course (really low light) with my 44. When I reached the final room I bracketed the doorway and identified the hostile (a foam reactive target) and double tapped it in the chest. When I rebracketed the corner it was still there so I let it hold 2 more. I suppose I should have reloaded or fired only once but when I checked again it was still there and I double tapped it again at which point I had an empty gun and was out. When they pulled the wall back to let in some light there was a 6" hole in the chest and the action strip was 20' behind it. Man were they pissed.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Well, I was the only one there running a revolver so I won my division :D I definitely need a different holster, pulling speed loaders out of my trench coat pocket killed my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom