• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I have both, glad to get the facts. Chad if you ever get time could you do the same thing on common auto loaders like 1100/87, 930, winchester sx3, browning etc. I'm in the market for anew fouling piece

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have both, glad to get the facts. Chad if you ever get time could you do the same thing on common auto loaders like 1100/87, 930, winchester sx3, browning etc. I'm in the market for anew fouling piece

Sure can, but it makes a big difference if were talking Defensive Shotguns vs Sporting Shotguns.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    I'm sorry I like the feel of an 870. I had a 590, past tense. I have a hard time even taking mossberg seriously after seeing their "chainsaw grip"...gimme a break

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm sorry I like the feel of an 870. I had a 590, past tense. I have a hard time even taking mossberg seriously after seeing their "chainsaw grip"...gimme a break

The chinsaw gripped ones are a joke, I agree. Stupid marketing on Mossbergs part gearing their stuff towards NCStar Optics/Flashlight and Tapco users. :lol2:

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Benelli Nova Tactical or SuperNova Tactical are great choices. Of course, not as many after market options available for these like the Remmy/Mossy.

Thanks for the post.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    The problem I have with everyone citing "military testing", is that when is the normal harry gunowner ever gonna see those trials and conditions? Never.Period. Unless your dumb enough to be caught running around the local landfill breaching dumpsters with that retard Larry vickers. And your 870 will still run....

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Sure can, but it makes a big difference if were talking Defensive Shotguns vs Sporting Shotguns.
    It sure would help alot of folks to share your knowledge I would wager most of us actually use a shotgun for more than paper/steel targets out in the elements than we do our ARs

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The problem I have with everyone citing "military testing", is that when is the normal harry gunowner ever gonna see those trials and conditions? Never.Period. Unless your dumb enough to be caught running around the local landfill breaching dumpsters with that retard Larry vickers. And your 870 will still run....

The Military Testing is accurate, the 870 didnt pass the torture test. The 500 did. I do see your point though, most people DONT shoot their shotgun that much. Its just there for people to make a better decision for themselves. The Military Testing, although usually filled with burecracy is the best and most unbiased testing the gun world can use. They use a large sample to test not just one but many of the same product to get a baseline.

Will 99/100 people go to the limits of a shotgun design? No....but its good to know what you have can if called upon.

Remington 870's fail way more often then people post or report. When that happens you will need a Gunsmith or be forced to ship it to the factory for Service. Any problem with the Mossberg 500/590can be fixed with a household tool kit, no special jigs or tools are needed.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    The Military Testing is accurate, the 870 didnt pass the torture test. The 500 did. I do see your point though, most people DONT shoot their shotgun that much. Its just there for people to make a better decision for themselves. The Military Testing, although usually filled with burecracy is the best and most unbiased testing the gun world can use. They use a large sample to test not just one but many of the same product to get a baseline.

Will 99/100 people go to the limits of a shotgun design? No....but its good to know what you have can if called upon.

Remington 870's fail way more often then people post or report. When that happens you will need a Gunsmith or be forced to ship it to the factory for Service. Any problem with the Mossberg 500/590can be fixed with a household tool kit, no special jigs or tools are needed.
    I'm gonna have to ask Larry D what he thinks....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most shotgun owners shoot them only occasionally. But those who do , shoot them a whole lot.

For the most part I am indifferent between 500s and recent 870s. Classic era 870s are somthing else.

Of course of late I am gravatating to M1200/1300s .

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    mossbergs just feel cheap when i hold them, it seems like every single one i picked up the forend rattles, just doesnt seem like a well rounded gun
    im a 870 guy

On what points is the 870 more rounded? Name them for the audience to see please.

Did you not just have a thread about a brenad new 870 with extraction problems?

Only because he owns an 870, there is no other factor :rolleyes:

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Ah, a classic platform debate. Growing up my stepdad had a mossberg 500. I shot it a few times and was quite impressed with it. When he came across a remington 870 for a good price he let me know about it. So I bought it. My first pump shotgun. This was about 10 years ago back in Ohio so it's all legal.:innocent0
    A few years back a buddy of mine got a mossberg 500. We were out in Missouri shooting stuff. I had my 870 and he had his 500. My 870 felt way more comfortable. Now it could be because it's my shotgun, so I'm a tad biased. But I prefer the 870 based on my experience. Although I would like to try a benelli. I've heard they're amazing. Not every platform is right for everyone. Find one that feels right and you would trust your life to. I trust my life to my 870. So it's the shotgun for me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Clandestine,

For a truly fair comparison, you need to compare the Mossberg 590 to the Remington 870P and the Mossberg 500 to the Remington 870 Express. The 590 and the 870P are both built to different specs versus the 500 and the 870 Express.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I have both and I happen to agree with almost everything chad has up there.

I use the 500 for all my hunting needs (and trap/skeet).

The 870 is just for three gun (games gun, not trusting my life to it)

If you want a bayonet only ONE won 2 world wars!

That is an AMAZING Shotgun indeed but they are pricey/collectible. If that thing was made currently in the U.S. with the same craftsmanship it would be a 2K shotgun IMHO.

I bought a bubba trench gun (real winchester, fake trench gun) and had Scott fix bubba's work. Total cost less than 600, including the work I had done on it, which included tapping it for a choke ( 8 foot pattern at 25 yards won't knock down a lot of plates)

Winchester made a gizzillion of these and cheap ones are out there. Just keep your eyes open.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have both and I happen to agree with almost everything chad has up there.

I use the 500 for all my hunting needs (and trap/skeet).

The 870 is just for three gun (games gun, not trusting my life to it)

I bought a bubba trench gun (real winchester, fake trench gun) and had Scott fix bubba's work. Total cost less than 600, including the work I had done on it, which included tapping it for a choke ( 8 foot pattern at 25 yards won't knock down a lot of plates)

Winchester made a gizzillion of these and cheap ones are out there. Just keep your eyes open.

Keep an eye on keepshooting's website, Brian is currently sold out.

Been selling the Norinco's for less than $400.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Clandestine,

For a truly fair comparison, you need to compare the Mossberg 590 to the Remington 870P and the Mossberg 500 to the Remington 870 Express. The 590 and the 870P are both built to different specs versus the 500 and the 870 Express.

The comparison makes no difference. I make no mention of barrel lengths. The actions are the same unless were discussing vent ribs, sights, and furniture. I did mention features on basic and police models (Magazine extension).

Same guns, same controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom