• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Anyone here do it?

I've only backpacked a few times but I find myself gearing up to hunt the GW National Forest. Not sure when but its calling me.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Agree Rokslide is a great resource.

I have kicked around backpack hunting. I would prefer it over the typical hunting we do here. Seems like the NF in VA and WV would be the closest thing we have to backpack hunting.

I got as far as buying a really nice Exo pack that I rarely use and a couple nice backpack stoves.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Agree Rokslide is a great resource.

I have kicked around backpack hunting. I would prefer it over the typical hunting we do here. Seems like the NF in VA and WV would be the closest thing we have to backpack hunting.

I got as far as buying a really nice Exo pack that I rarely use and a couple nice backpack stoves.

I just ordered a nice kuiu pack. Decent sleeping bag and pad. Haven't gotten to the stove yet.

Thousands of acres of GW National forest near where I hunt in SW VA.

Its enticing. Aside from the packs of coyotes and black bears that we see and hear regularly.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    As in "Multi day hunt" while roughing it ??
    What public lands is that allowed? This is something I could get into.

Anyone here do it?

I've only backpacked a few times but I find myself gearing up to hunt the GW National Forest. Not sure when but its calling me.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I just ordered a nice kuiu pack. Decent sleeping bag and pad. Haven't gotten to the stove yet.

Thousands of acres of GW National forest near where I hunt in SW VA.

Its enticing. Aside from the packs of coyotes and black bears that we see and hear regularly.

I have a few stoves that you can explore.

I'm out West hunting but will be back in a week.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    As in "Multi day hunt" while roughing it ??
    What public lands is that allowed? This is something I could get into.

Yes, exactly what I'm thinking. GW National Forest in VA is beautiful country.

I worked with a plumber years ago that would go for 2 weeks every year. Was a decades long, family tradition.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Very cool, I'll take you up on that.

See/shoot anything?

Nope, got skunked this year. My wife can't remember me ever not getting a mule deer. I think it may have happened once many years ago. I fought it hard, but it wasn't to be. I did find a lion track and that might explain their scarcity.

I have 2 Whisperlites , a Pocket Rocket, and 2 Jettboil clones. It's nice to be able to explore things before buying.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I love going camping in GW, but I know nothing about what it would take to go hunting there.

Are you guys talking about stalking with a loaded pack? Stationary on the ground/climber? Setting up a base camp? Packing just the meat out?

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I love going camping in GW, but I know nothing about what it would take to go hunting there.

Are you guys talking about stalking with a loaded pack? Stationary on the ground/climber? Setting up a base camp? Packing just the meat out?

I'm thinking base camp and ground hunting from there. Can't imagine carrying even a light climber a mile or two in, plus pack, plus rifle.

A mile or two drag wouldn't be too bad depending on the terrain......and the size of the deer.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Back in the 70s my father would drop me and my brother off in GW forest (we were 14-15 yrs old) for days at a time,, and pick us up at a pre arraigned time/place.
    Those were fun times,, I now do multi day kayak camping/fishing trips in VA and WV,, We make a lot of our own gear.

Yes, exactly what I'm thinking. GW National Forest in VA is beautiful country.

I worked with a plumber years ago that would go for 2 weeks every year. Was a decades long, family tradition.

Attachments

• DSCN2181.jpg
      DSCN2181.jpg
      133.7 KB · Views: 62
    • DSCN2188.jpg
      DSCN2188.jpg
      125.9 KB · Views: 62
    • DSCN2176.jpg
      DSCN2176.jpg
      127.2 KB · Views: 63
    • DSCN1496.jpg
      DSCN1496.jpg