• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I have no idea on the facts of the shooting to say whether it was justified or not. My only point was that in MoCo if he shot an unarmed home invader he may have a long road ahead regardless.

A long EXPENSIVE road ahead...

Monkey County is LEFT even compared to California...

Unarmed man, hopefully he was inside of the house & not on the Deck like the Photos...

Civil Suits coming from Family Members, Baby Mommas, etc, for "Wrongful Death"...

Neighbors will testify that the Homeowner was a "Local Gun Nut"...

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    A long EXPENSIVE road ahead...

Monkey County is LEFT even compared to California...

Unarmed man, hopefully he was inside of the house & not on the Deck like the Photos...

Civil Suits coming from Family Members, Baby Mommas, etc, for "Wrongful Death"...

Neighbors will testify that the Homeowner was a "Local Gun Nut"...

Whether or not the county leans left or right is irrelevant to the facts and the law.

1.). The articles stated the intruder was inside the residence.

2.). We have Civil Immunity in Statute in Maryland. The statute — § 5-808 of the Courts and Judicial Proceedings Article of the Maryland Code — provides as follows:

(a) In this section, "person" does not include a governmental entity.

(b) A person is not liable for damages for a personal injury or death of an individual who enters the person's dwelling or place of business if:

(1) The person reasonably believes that force or deadly force is necessary to repel an attack by the individual; and (2) The amount and nature of the force used by the person is reasonable under the circumstances.
    (c) Subsection (b) of this section does not apply to a person who is convicted of a crime of violence under § 14-101 of the Criminal Law Article, assault in the second degree, or reckless endangerment arising out of the circumstances described in subsection (b) of this section.

(d) The court may award costs and reasonable attorney's fees to a defendant who prevails in a defense under this section.

(e) This section does not limit or abrogate any immunity from civil liability or defense available to a person under any other provision of the Code or at common law.[7]
    The statute essentially codifies the common law rule of self-defense.

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    Whether or not the county leans left or right is irrelevant to the facts and the law.

1.). The articles stated the intruder was inside the residence.

2.). We have Civil Immunity in Statute in Maryland. The statute — § 5-808 of the Courts and Judicial Proceedings Article of the Maryland Code — provides as follows:

(a) In this section, "person" does not include a governmental entity.

(b) A person is not liable for damages for a personal injury or death of an individual who enters the person's dwelling or place of business if:

(1) The person reasonably believes that force or deadly force is necessary to repel an attack by the individual; and (2) The amount and nature of the force used by the person is reasonable under the circumstances.
    (c) Subsection (b) of this section does not apply to a person who is convicted of a crime of violence under § 14-101 of the Criminal Law Article, assault in the second degree, or reckless endangerment arising out of the circumstances described in subsection (b) of this section.

(d) The court may award costs and reasonable attorney's fees to a defendant who prevails in a defense under this section.

(e) This section does not limit or abrogate any immunity from civil liability or defense available to a person under any other provision of the Code or at common law.[7]
    The statute essentially codifies the common law rule of self-defense.

I wish it were that simple. It should be but rarely is especially in places like MoCo.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    The MoCo Police range has been out near Poolesville for years. When development started close by the neighbors started complaining about the noise of gunfire. Too bad...the range was there first. One new resident complained saying the realtor that sold her the house told her the range would be gone within a year...NOT!

The Bethesda Isaac Walton League is south of Poolesville. Several years ago they were building new pasture palaces across the street from the Isaac Walton property. I wonder what happened.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Part of the article states that a service company, "Pro Tec" was in the driveway. When fox news called the company, they stated that an employee was involved in the shooting "but is ok".

Seems like there's more to this story. Pro Tec is a home inspection company. Maybe the service employee had an unexpected/unauthorized visitor or helper?

Pure speculation by me at this point...

One article said it was the house of the son of ProTec’s owner. I assume dad showed up for his son.

I’m curious about being on the phone with 911 and simultaneously shooting an unarmed person. I’m not against that per se, if someone breaks into my house they are a deadly threat until they leave. It just seems weird as it he wanted it recorded.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    upthread someone who heard the 911 call said there was a scuffle.

Ppl can kill you with their fist. "Unarmed" does not mean what the media thinks it means.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    upthread someone who heard the 911 call said there was a scuffle.

Ppl can kill you with their fist. "Unarmed" does not mean what the media thinks it means.

Agreed.
    What are the odds though that a guy with a “birds are not real” banner outside his home lacks critical thinking skills and sound judgement.
    Maybe the guy was a threat or maybe the homeowner was all spun up in some fantasy.

I hope the resident county officers chime in. If nothing else I’d like to know how many guns they hauled out of the house (unless dad took care of that first).

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Agreed.
    What are the odds though that a guy with a “birds are not real” banner outside his home lacks critical thinking skills and sound judgement.
    Maybe the guy was a threat or maybe the homeowner was all spun up in some fantasy.

I hope the resident county officers chime in. If nothing else I’d like to know how many guns they hauled out of the house (unless dad took care of that first).

No reason to haul out firearms if no crime.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Agreed.

Doesn't everyone know the 911 operator works for the CIA?

A guy who keeps 911 on the line then cooperates with the police (who also work for the CIA) does not sound like someone spun up on a paranoid fantasy.

They cant release the 911 call soon enough

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Agreed.

I'm 50+ years old, have had a disc replaced in my neck, and could be in better physical shape.

Honestly, anyone coming in my direction after breaking into my house is a serious threat to my physical wellbeing. One hard hit to my face an it's bad news.

All situations are different, but I'd be hard pressed to let someone get close enough to even scuffle with me, as I don't want to be permanently disabled more.

The problem is that I'm 6 Ft 1 In, and many people would just make a flawed assumption that I can just kick the crap out of anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom