• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I've posted some pictures of this one before, but I finally brought it home to my collection instead of it rotting away in my parent's cedar chest at their house. My grandfather was in the headquarters battery of the 283rd Field Artillery Battalion during WWII. They were in-theater a month after D-Day and helped dig the allies out of the hedgerows and start marching towards victory. He served in Normandy, Holland, Belgium, and crossed the Rhine 10 times. They were considered "theater artillery" which meant they got passed around to whoever needed them at that time. They served under five separate armies and 8 divisions in the war. Most notably, they were with the 42nd for the liberation of Dachau where my grandfather, having a camera supplied by battalion HQ, documented what he saw there. We have many of those pictures in our possession today. While working on the battalion aerial observation plane just outside of Nuremberg, he had a Luftwaffe pilot come up to him and surrender thinking he was a commissioned officer since he had been in and out of the cockpit wearing a light flight-suit (he was qualified to fly the plane and sometimes did if the normal pilot was unable to do so when needed). Instead, he was surrendering to a mere T-4 sergeant. My grandfather brought home the pilot's flight suits, pilot's cap with throat mics, parachute (which got made into a wedding dress) binoculars, and the Luger. Luckily, my grandmother saved all his papers from the war after he died, which was well before I was born. He also earned a bronze star and was attached to the 3rd Infantry Division when they took Berchtesgaden. He had a hell of an experience in the war for sure! Anyway, here she is. The holster needs some cleaning and restoration. Mawkie, if you would be so kind as to PM me the info for your guy, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20210815_192834.jpg
      20210815_192834.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 618
    • 20210815_192846.jpg
      20210815_192846.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 616
    • 20210815_193000.jpg
      20210815_193000.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 618
    • 20210815_192947.jpg
      20210815_192947.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 610
    • 20210815_193240.jpg
      20210815_193240.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 610
    • 20210815_193248.jpg
      20210815_193248.jpg
      31.4 KB · Views: 604
    Jul 1, 2012
    A very interesting pistol with solid history/provenance!
    The bring-back paper is unusual too, probably an early one?
    And a "black widow" to boot :)

Jerry Burney is the Luger holster guru.

Jul 1, 2012
    A very interesting pistol with solid history/provenance!
    The bring-back paper is unusual too, probably an early one?
    And a "black widow" to boot :)

Jerry Burney is the Luger holster guru.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A beauty and a cool story. When I served in Germany circa 1985 I bought a pistol that looked just like that one that one you have pictured; it was a Volkssturm issue pistol (so I was told). Alas, ATF would not approve it so I returned it to the Rod and Gun club and instead purchased a S&W Model 57 41 magnum revolver, which I still have. The Luger barrel did have obvious pitting from corrosive primers, so it was not a pristine copy. But it had all the accessories; holster, mags, and mag loader tool (what ever it's called). I was also able to get a Walther P1 for $125 that was a "Bundesministerium des Innern" (Federal Ministry of the Interior) issue. Also a got a Walter PP Polizei (police) pistol for $90. The Luger was priced similarly, so it makes me sick top my stomach ATF would not let me bring back a "War Trophy". At the time you could not bring back Nazi marked pistols but I think Reagan had that changed after I left. I hope some US service member ended up buying it.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The Luger was priced similarly, so it makes me sick top my stomach ATF would not let me bring back a "War Trophy". At the time you could not bring back Nazi marked pistols but I think Reagan had that changed after I left. I hope some US service member ended up buying it.

It has nothing to do with Nazi marked stuff and nothing about it changed under Reagan. GI personal imports of military surplus are still not allowed. Military surplus has to be imported by an FFL08 under a regular Form 6. They probably just told you Nazi marked as an easy way to distinguish military vs non military.

“No permit will be issued to import a surplus military firearm or, a firearm or ammunition which is not generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes, or a firearm as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)
    (e.g., machinegun, silencer, destructive device, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun, etc.).”

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...nd-permit-importation-firearms-ammunition-and

I know a guy who managed to personally import a WWII P.38 when he was stationed in Germany in the 70s. They were told that they were not allowed to import any P.38 with a four digit serial number. He did anyway just to try his luck and managed to get it through customs.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    LOL there are a LOT of WWII P.38's that don't have a 4-digit S/N.

Yeah, that was probably just the rumor that filtered back to the GIs at the rod and gun club. He said customs ultimately didn’t care if it was military or how many digits the serial number had. They simply checked to make sure the serial number on the gun matched the one written on the paperwork and that was it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It has nothing to do with Nazi marked stuff and nothing about it changed under Reagan. GI personal imports of military surplus are still not allowed. Military surplus has to be imported by an FFL08 under a regular Form 6. They probably just told you Nazi marked as an easy way to distinguish military vs non military.

“No permit will be issued to import a surplus military firearm or, a firearm or ammunition which is not generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes, or a firearm as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)
    (e.g., machinegun, silencer, destructive device, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun, etc.).”

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...nd-permit-importation-firearms-ammunition-and

I know a guy who managed to personally import a WWII P.38 when he was stationed in Germany in the 70s. They were told that they were not allowed to import any P.38 with a four digit serial number. He did anyway just to try his luck and managed to get it through customs.

Thanks for the info. At least I have the facts straight now. Honestly though it does not really make me feel any better.

Oh well, I am thankful for the handguns I did manage to legally bring back. I still have all of them.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    My family took 2 shotguns to Germany, in 1968, when my dad got stationed over there, packed in blankets, in our shipped, crated furniture, they came back in the the same manner, in 1973, when our tour was up, along with about 500 bottles of wine.
    :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom