• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The statute includes " propensity for violence or instability " . That leaves the door open to interviewing neighbors , co-workers , ex'es , etc .

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The statute includes " propensity for violence or instability " . That leaves the door open to interviewing neighbors , co-workers , ex'es , etc .

That'll make for an interesting court case, if a license under supposed "shall issue" gets denied based on hearsay and alleged acts for which the denied person hasn't been charged with, let alone convicted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That'll make for an interesting court case, if a license under supposed "shall issue" gets denied based on hearsay and alleged acts for which the denied person hasn't been charged with, let alone convicted.

It probably will be. Probably back to SCOTUS on that one. Unless SCOTUS makes it crystal clear on exactly what states can do to evaluate for a permit. Unless the answer is everyone except convicted criminals must be allowed a permit, there will be wiggle room and states will exploit it.

That said, you know there will end up being some instances the other direction if states can’t deny based on evidence other than a criminal conviction, that someone has a history of violence or instability and they end up going on to commit violent crimes and “oh but the state HAD to give this future murderous crazy a license to carry guns! All the signs were there, but evil SCOTUS said we had to let them carry around murder weapons in public!”

That said, most school shooters and even many workplace shooters the “signs were there” and no one bothered (and in many cases legally couldn’t) to do anything about it. Though probably for every 100 or 1000 of them are some people who “show some signs” and are never actually murderous.

But as for workload. The state is going to have to do something to streamline the process. I am pretty sure even a Maryland court is not going to look fondly on MSP holding up permits for years because suddenly 50,000 people are applying for permits and they have 40 investigators (no idea the number) who want to spend a dozen hours on each application conducting interviews.

Just a basic application and the regular background check, outside of the current evidence to substantiate cause for a permit plus interviews, I’d imagine is probably at least 15-30 minutes per application to process it (and obviously several hours for all the other stuff done today for the may issue shit).

50,000 * .25hrs is 12,500hrs. 6 people, full time for a year.

So I hope MSP is at least sitting down to figure out different possible business processes depending on what the SCOTUS decision might look like. Granted it’ll likely take a court case against MGLeg or MSP to get them moving after a SCOTUS decision. But they should at least be considering it.

I know they won’t be. Just saying in a rational world they would be.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Lol. Evidently the very last remaining anti carry permit states (except MD) are preparing for shall issue by doing the whole sensitive places shtick in their state legislature (except MD).

Maybe that's a good thing or not?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    My state is shall issue. And there is a legal requirement that all permits not denied must be returned within 120 days…

If you think the usual culprits won’t get creative with avoiding issue, especially without a legal requirement, well.. you know they will.

With the 120 day requirement, some places were taking almost a year to issue during rona.

They used the appointment system, as an example, to delay. You want to apply … make an appointment. (It’s February) we’re taking appointments for June. And the 120 day clock doesn’t start until your AFTER your appointment for the prints and turning in your paperwork on the day of.

In the last several months, this had been almost back to normal… but in the 2a hating states, you know where they will go…. “Man, ole granny Jones, our lone CCW processor, is moving as fast as a 85 year old, one hour a day, part timer can!”

Not being a lawyer, I am not sure how scotus could say something like…

We caution states that have veiled or it so veiled attempts to prohibit lawful carry, your case will be addressed swiftly…

Like with all the cases on hold or requesting review. Not being a lawyer, I don’t know how they would do this but surely there must be a way to address they current case in a way that clearly tells lower courts they’ve screwed up and need to stop the back door attacks.

It probably will be. Probably back to SCOTUS on that one. Unless SCOTUS makes it crystal clear on exactly what states can do to evaluate for a permit. Unless the answer is everyone except convicted criminals must be allowed a permit, there will be wiggle room and states will exploit it.

That said, you know there will end up being some instances the other direction if states can’t deny based on evidence other than a criminal conviction, that someone has a history of violence or instability and they end up going on to commit violent crimes and “oh but the state HAD to give this future murderous crazy a license to carry guns! All the signs were there, but evil SCOTUS said we had to let them carry around murder weapons in public!”

That said, most school shooters and even many workplace shooters the “signs were there” and no one bothered (and in many cases legally couldn’t) to do anything about it. Though probably for every 100 or 1000 of them are some people who “show some signs” and are never actually murderous.

But as for workload. The state is going to have to do something to streamline the process. I am pretty sure even a Maryland court is not going to look fondly on MSP holding up permits for years because suddenly 50,000 people are applying for permits and they have 40 investigators (no idea the number) who want to spend a dozen hours on each application conducting interviews.

Just a basic application and the regular background check, outside of the current evidence to substantiate cause for a permit plus interviews, I’d imagine is probably at least 15-30 minutes per application to process it (and obviously several hours for all the other stuff done today for the may issue shit).

50,000 * .25hrs is 12,500hrs. 6 people, full time for a year.

So I hope MSP is at least sitting down to figure out different possible business processes depending on what the SCOTUS decision might look like. Granted it’ll likely take a court case against MGLeg or MSP to get them moving after a SCOTUS decision. But they should at least be considering it.

I know they won’t be. Just saying in a rational world they would be.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    MD law requires permits be issued or denied within 90 days, with the time stating when your payment is received (now done electronically via web portal).

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Lol. Evidently the very last remaining anti carry permit states (except MD) are preparing for shall issue by doing the whole sensitive places shtick in their state legislature (except MD).

Maybe that's a good thing or not?

In the short run no. Hopefully it is a very short run and we can slap them down in the district court.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maryland specifically? It's a mixed blessing .

Good News - MGA won't be able to potentially address TPM until the 2023 Session .

Bad News - ( My prediction ) MSP will stick with the full blown applicant interview , check references , and investigate you for history of " Propensity for Violence or Instability " back to birth , until MGA passes a new statute , or MSI's Lawsuit is fully litigated .

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    ‘Fire in a crowded theater’ just won’t die, even among “legal analysts.”

“We know our rights are not limitless, but the question is how narrow do the regulations upon my rights have to be in order for them to be constitutional,” Covert said.

He used yelling fire in a crowded theater as one example of limits placed on the First Amendment. The NY SAFE Act would be another example, but for the Second Amendment.
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/p...ision/71-ed960584-7840-40af-b2e9-249e5a038beb

That line is dicta from an effectively overruled 1A case called Schenck v. United States (1919).
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/249/47"

For why it’s a bad line that has no legal significance, read this: https://www.popehat.com/2012/09/19/...hackneyed-apologia-for-censorship-are-enough/

You use this term in my presence and you’re getting five fingers to the face
    giphy.gif

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    When people say to me "you can not yell fire in a crowded theater" i say yes you absolutely can. At least in two instances.

1, there no fire and the you could be held liable for damages and much like murder, both are illegal.

2, when there is a fire, at which time you would be hailed a hero and much like self defense is legal.

Nobody

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    When people say to me "you can not yell fire in a crowded theater" i say yes you absolutely can. At least in two instances.

1, there no fire and the you could be held liable for damages and much like murder, both are illegal.

2, when there is a fire, at which time you would be hailed a hero and much like self defense is legal.

Nobody

Of course the actual quote said "falsely yell fire" and people seem to leave that out when using this in an argument.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Did not know that. Source?

Nobody

This is directly from Schenck:
    The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic. It does not even protect a man from an injunction against uttering words that may have all the effect of force. Gompers v. Bucks Stove & Range Co., 221 U.S. 418, 439. The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent.

The 'clear and present danger' precedent set here was effectively done away with in 1969's Brandenburg v. Ohio. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_v._Ohio

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    It gets old seeing there's a new comment on this thread and finding out it's nothing more than some cackling hens going on about something that barley pertains.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Here's the assembly bill: https://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?d...ttee%26nbspVotes=Y&Floor%26nbspVotes=Y#A08684

4 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm when he or she:
    5 (1) possesses any firearm [or]; (2) lawfully possesses a firearm prior
    6 to the effective date of [the] chapter one of the laws of two thousand
    7 thirteen [which added this section] subject to the registration require-
    8 ments of subdivision sixteen-a of section 400.00 of this chapter and
    9 knowingly fails to register such firearm pursuant to such subdivision;
    10 or (3) knowingly has in his or her possession a rifle, shotgun, or
    11 firearm in or upon the following locations:
    12 (a) Any form of public transportation, including but not limited to
    13 railroads, ride sharing services, paratransit services, subways, buses,
    14 air travel, taxis or any other public transportation service;
    15 (b) Food and drink establishments; or
    16 (c) Large gatherings, which for the purposes of this section shall
    17 mean a gathering together of fifteen or more persons for amusement,
    18 athletic, civic, dining, educational, entertainment, patriotic, poli-
    19 tical, recreational, religious, social, or similar purposes.

A bit of a tougher call on the public transportation but B and C make the leap from government controlled locations over to privately controlled locations. Pretty clear this is an end run around what we expect the SCOTUS decision to be. "Large gatherings" doesn't even specify a place.

That is ridiculous. I have more than 15 people at my place during the summer when we are using the pool. Granted, I am not usually carrying when we are in my backyard. Still utterly ridiculous. Maybe some of my guests are. When people come over for Thanksgiving, etc., they would be breaking the law if they happen to be carrying.

Maryland is utterly ridiculous. The legislators should try repealing all this CCW BS and then seeing if there is any statistical difference in crime. Granted, they think they are playing the "long game", but it looks like the long game is not going to be in their favor. Stupid waste of time and resources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom