• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    After receiving the completly confusing (sarcasam) VA. non - resident permit in just 3 days from time of request, I filled out the lenghthy (sarcasam again)
    form and tonight I am getting printed and photoed so I can send it out with the outragous amount of money (sarcasam again) so I can wait the inordinate (sarcasam again) amount of time to carry in VA and the other states that recognize said permit.

I will let you know the date of arrival.

JMT

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    You know whats really ridiculous? The permit you get back. What a joke, why can't all permits look like Florida's!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    After receiving the completly confusing (sarcasam) VA. non - resident permit in just 3 days from time of request, I filled out the lenghthy (sarcasam again)
    form and tonight I am getting printed and photoed so I can send it out with the outragous amount of money (sarcasam again) so I can wait the inordinate (sarcasam again) amount of time to carry in VA and the other states that recognize said permit.

I will let you know the date of arrival.

JMT

I'm curious what you thought was confusing.

And in fact the FL permit is even more expensive than VA's is. The wait period for VA is about 30 days. What's outrageous about that since in a 30 day period you could subtract 6 days for the mail and 8 days for non work weekends. Now you're down to about 14 work days, some of which the state has to wait on the FBI to run your prints. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I agree the wait times for UT and FL are very long, but they have been absolutely slammed with requests and their staffing levels are probably not adequate to deal with the increase in apps.

I got my VA permit in exactly 30 days. Pretty good service IMHO.

Stu

P.S. Who cares what the permit looks like as long as it lets you carry. C'mon guys. I'm glad VA even has a non resident permit program Otherwise we'd really be screwed. Something for the morons in Annapolis to emulate someday.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    E mailed my request for an application that came in the mail 3 days later.
    All thats left is to stop by for finger printing then off to V.A for approval.

Personally if only needing a permit for most local surrounding states. WV being my main concern as I spend a fair amount of time there. VA non resident permit is a good deal.
    Weird part is I feel a lesser "need" to to ccw in WV then when home in MD.

Funny but when checking. Md excepts no other ccw permits from any other states. Bar none. When will they ever learn?:)

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    my permit is already coming apart from being in my wallet.. good thing I am moving to VA and need a resident permit in a few months =)

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I'm curious what you thought was confusing.

And in fact the FL permit is even more expensive than VA's is. The wait period for VA is about 30 days. What's outrageous about that since in a 30 day period you could subtract 6 days for the mail and 8 days for non work weekends. Now you're down to about 14 work days, some of which the state has to wait on the FBI to run your prints. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I agree the wait times for UT and FL are very long, but they have been absolutely slammed with requests and their staffing levels are probably not adequate to deal with the increase in apps.

I got my VA permit in exactly 30 days. Pretty good service IMHO.

Stu

P.S. Who cares what the permit looks like as long as it lets you carry. C'mon guys. I'm glad VA even has a non resident permit program Otherwise we'd really be screwed. Something for the morons in Annapolis to emulate someday.

I was being sarcatic on all points comparing VA to MD. VA rocks and MD sucks.

JMT

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009

I'm just saying since the VA Non res premit is honored in other states. You run into a Cop who isn't familiar with conceal carry laws and sees your chincy made permit it might raise suspicion. At the rate of $100 I would like a nice card. Floridas card is outstanding and even has Holograms cmon! :party29:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm just saying since the VA Non res premit is honored in other states. You run into a Cop who isn't familiar with conceal carry laws and sees your chincy made permit it might raise suspicion. At the rate of $100 I would like a nice card. Floridas card is outstanding and even has Holograms cmon! :party29:

The VA permit does have your file number on it. It would not take a huge effort on the part of an LEO to establish it's legitimacy.through an NCIC check or a phone call to VSP. LEO's should carry a cheat sheet in their cruisers to know what permits are legal in their home state IMO. Once an LEO sees a VA CHP a few times he'll know even the cheesy looking ones are legit.

I agree it's not as nice as FL's but as I said it came in 30days and when I'm carrying in VA and the permit is in my wallet I don't care if it's a bit cheesy. Maybe the 17 dollar difference in price between VA and FL is the quality of the permit. I'll take the 17 bucks and go on my way.

YMMV

Stu:)

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    After a delay due to work, It was sent today 9/26/09 and as I count 45 days from now is 11/10/09.....the wait starts.

JMT

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    After a delay due to work, It was sent today 9/26/09 and as I count 45 days from now is 11/10/09.....the wait starts.

JMT

Chances are it will be less than 45 days unless VA is now getting slammed like FL and UT are. The VA non resident permit does not have reciprocity with as many states as FL and UT do, so it is not as popular. So hopefully you should see it in around 30 days or so. (my wait was 30 days)

Stu

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is there a link to the FL Ap as well?

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html

It is a long wait (120 days). I am at 90 right now.

PS-Don't try to use the MD safety training certification as proof of training. FL will reject it.

Use MD Hunter safety training course or NRA basic pistol or use a DD214 if you are a Vet for proof of training as outlined in the requirements. If you are a veteran, thank you for your service to our country.

Stu

kstew

Dec 13, 2008
    If you are currently in the active duty, reserves, or guard you can photocopy your milid and that works

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Va. has enough for me as I travel to the states connected physically toThe People Republic of Murderland. I Am also going to get a Fla permit, it just takes a lot longer.

JMT

Last edited:

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    If you are currently in the active duty, reserves, or guard you can photocopy your milid and that works

Yeh for my SC Resident permit i enclosed a copy of my ID, record fire qualification, and had a memo from my commander saying i trained on X Date and qualified on X date

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    UPDATE: Money order cashed on 9/28/09. Does anyone know if that is when the 45 days starts?

NOBODY

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom