Christie: Restore NJ carry rights by executive order - says congressional hopeful

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Even the worst of the worst in the legislature are gagging on Christie's latest shall-issue push. What he does need to do is reinterpret justifiable need as simple self defense. That will turn things on its head.

Teratos, you may have a point but remember our guv is a major part of the trump campaign and trump has the NRA endorsement. I suspect all of that ties in since CC was anti gun in the past.

Dec 31, 2012
    Even the worst of the worst in the legislature are gagging on Christie's latest shall-issue push. What he does need to do is reinterpret justifiable need as simple self defense. That will turn things on its head.

Teratos, you may have a point but remember our guv is a major part of the trump campaign and trump has the NRA endorsement. I suspect all of that ties in since CC was anti gun in the past.

It's too late for VP so you suspect he's 'gunning' for a cabinet position?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Would love to see this, as Hogan will be questioned by the press whether he will do the same.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    O read the linked article, but I'm confused..

Are the 2A sentiments being expressed by th Gov Christie, or thr congressionaall candidate?

It said. christie did a"Conditiionsll Veto" on a bill.. What's s "conditional veto " ? What was. In the bill? From a 2A viewpoint, was his action good or bad ?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    O read the linked article, but I'm confused..

Are the 2A sentiments being expressed by th Gov Christie, or thr congressionaall candidate?

It said. christie did a"Conditiionsll Veto" on a bill.. What's s "conditional veto " ? What was. In the bill? From a 2A viewpoint, was his action good or bad ?

This may help...
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...onally-vetoes-justifiable-need-and-smart-guns
    Today’s action solidifies earlier action by Governor Christie with respect to the state’s “justifiable need” standard for the issuance of a concealed carry permit. Under current law, the state’s standard is so onerous that it requires applicants to prove a specific threat. The law has the net effect of blocking virtually all concealed carry applications.:tdown: However, the Christie Administration issued an executive order earlier this year which made an incremental improvement to the state’s issuance of concealed carry permits by requiring a showing of only a more generalized threat. :thumbsup: In retaliation, anti-gun lawmakers fast tracked A.3689 to codify the “justifiable need” standard claiming “legislative intent” where neither have been proven to previously exist. Rather than “freeze” a bad standard into law for all time, today’s positive reform would significantly improve a broken concealed carry law which has always devalued the constitutional right to self-defense.

Also, the reworked smart gun legislation would remove the 2002 Smart Gun law's mandate, which threatens a backdoor gun ban once smart guns are certified as commercially viable by banning all future traditional handgun sales. In addition to removing the 2002 mandate, Christie’s conditional veto also strikes the bill’s new mandate that forces gun dealers to offer smart guns for sale, thereby blocking any attempt to ban traditional handguns.:thumbsup: NRA previously testified that the bill forced market acceptance of a technologically unviable product which is harmful for self-defense and is nothing more than a tricky gun ban

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, got it now.

Christie earlier did his small tweak to great fanfare. The rest of the politicians in NJ blew a gasket, passed bill to take previous actual practices and retroactively assert Legislative Intent. Christie vetoed ( conditional veto ?) that bill.

All the bold talk of real Shall Issue is from Congressional candidate.

Ok Ryan or anyone else familiar w/ NJ situation , has the earlier Christie action resulted in the actual issuance of any carry Permits ?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Ok, got it now.

Christie earlier did his small tweak to great fanfare. The rest of the politicians in NJ blew a gasket, passed bill to take previous actual practices and retroactively assert Legislative Intent. Christie vetoed ( conditional veto ?) that bill.

All the bold talk of real Shall Issue is from Congressional candidate.

Ok Ryan or anyone else familiar w/ NJ situation , has the earlier Christie action resulted in the actual issuance of any carry Permits ?

I'm not sure if any directly benefitted from it, although the Almeida lawsuit from Wolfwood was successful in getting a permit although he was personally threatened.
    It just doesn't seem to me that it'll matter. The judges issue the permit, they don't like the 2A so I don't see Christie's pronouncement doing much.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    It's too late for VP so you suspect he's 'gunning' for a cabinet position?

I suspect he is. He is already the transition chief. He's also doing this to make Trump look good because many have doubted Trump's 2A cred,

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I'm not sure if any directly benefitted from it, although the Almeida lawsuit from Wolfwood was successful in getting a permit although he was personally threatened.
    It just doesn't seem to me that it'll matter. The judges issue the permit, they don't like the 2A so I don't see Christie's pronouncement doing much.

It is likely that they gave the permit to Almeida to make him go away so that Po6 can drop the federal lawsuit. Just like they did with Drake. In 2 years he has to reapply again. Drake was denied upon renewal. No telling what will happen to Almeida.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    So just to answer multiple things without quoting a ton of people:

"Justifiable need" as a requirement to get a carry permit in NJ is in statute. However, the definition of what exactly is justifiable need is not in statute. Instead, it was conjured up by the NJ courts after a series of anti gun decisions, namely Siccardi and In re Preis. So what happened was that after those court decisions were issued, the state police made regulations, saying that applicants must "specify in detail the urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant's life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun."

So it is an administrative regulation, and not statute. The legislature wanted to codify it in statute to make it harder for Christie or anyone to go and change it, because in reality it can be changed. Christie can make it whatever he wants, but I don't think he has the political willpower to do so because the legislature will plotz and he is afraid. He is also (not so) secretly anti-gun.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It is likely that they gave the permit to Almeida to make him go away so that Po6 can drop the federal lawsuit. Just like they did with Drake. In 2 years he has to reapply again. Drake was denied upon renewal. No telling what will happen to Almeida.

Drake or Jeff muller? I thought Drake was denied outright.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011

Mike my other client has reapplied as well. If he also gets his permit then that may be the case. our claim is a little different than Drake though. We have the 2a challenge as applied but we also are arguing Mike/Albert's due process rights were violated because the State is interpreting justifiable need beyond what is allowed by law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom