• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    Added a new to me rifle, rem 700 in 22-250, picked up used from the Fredrick show last year. Been shooting it off the bench, 100 yards. Feel like I'm ready to go hunting. Hogs are out in northern Carroll County, I'm going out this weekend.
    Last year used a Savage 93 17hmr and a Smith & Wesson m&p 15.
    What are you shooting?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    My hogs are closer, Savage 22mag does the job. I try for head shots don't want blow up the meat. If you haven't eaten hog you don't know what you'er missing. Chris

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    20'' 5.56 :D

Attachments

• untitled20''.jpg
      untitled20''.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 1,126
    Last edited:

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I caught a baby one a few years ago with a lacross stick. Stalked it really carefully from down wind and froze every time he looked at me. When I got close enough to swing down and pinned him under the net. Then the little bastard starting squeeling and his giant momma came charging out of the bushes. She was PISSED and barking at me which I had never seen before. Needless to say I released the baby and ran like hell back to my house. I managed to get inside just ahead of momma but she clawed at the slider for a minute just to let me know how serious she was.

Since then I have maintained a strict policy of respecting animals, as long as the respect is mutual.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    it depends on where I am going and how I am feeling when I shoot groundhogs.

my go to is an old ragged model 7 Remington in 223 that I have literally killed hundreds with.

if I am going somewhere particularly long I have a savage bolt bull barrel in 22-250.

if I am going somewhere particularly short I tale a 10-22 or a .17.

if I am just knocking around the farm I generally have an old m1 carbine and a pistol sitting on the truck seat.

so it all depends.

hell I killed a groundhog with a framing square once and a couple with a shovel.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Usually are up close (50 yards or less). So my go-to is my Ruger american rimfire. In .22. She LOVES CCI stingers.

Or my compound.

Hell one of them I got last year was with a 3 D cell maglight.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My first whistle-pig of the year succumbed to my Rimfire Challenge red dot equipped 10/22 as he was running away from me at the farm at about 40 yards a few days ago. One shot knockdown was fatal although I had to finish him off. I hate it when I don't get a one shot kill. Most of them I get with either my Mossberg MVP in .223 or my 6.8mm AR.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Been out scouting a couple times, no luck yet... either the 223 Varmint AR or a soon to be suppressed Savage MkII where we need to be more quiet (around livestock/in populated areas)

I do usually take a few a season with a bow, during deer season.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Yes, it shall begin soon. Savage 93r 17hmr. I've shown it a few times. The 10/22 has some blood on it too. I may try the AR with some 40gr varmint xpress in WV. I was messing with the 10/22, trying CCI quiet 22lr and saw one at 35-40yrds running up my lot. Took two shots but no joy. Those things don't cycle the action with a stock recoil spring I guess. Good luck to everyone.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No, Quiets are only 710fps and not enough to cycle a semi most times, but.. they are really quiet (and accurate to about 50yds) in my long bbl'd Savage bolt rifle.. lol :innocent0

Reaper812

Wayne
    Sep 14, 2012
    Howard county
    I was using 22 mag last year, but want to make some carnage this year with my 300 blackout and Leigh 194 max expansion! Should be fun

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 946

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I had 2 in my back yard when I moved in a few years ago and killed them both within a week of each other. Now there are no more. Almost wish for an infestation. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom