• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Anyone have any Winchester Large Rifle Primers to spare???? I finally got a load together for my sons .308 and I was going to load his hunting rounds for the season and I only have 9 left.

Anyone near Calvert County willing to sell me some????

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    So I drive down to The local gun shop that usally has my primers, I called ahead and the young man says yep we have thousands of Winchester large rifle primers. So I drive down and he does have thousands, but they are Large rifle Mag primers.

I told him I did not want those since I did not want to work my loads back up and he says just use these they will work fine???? I responded that I hope he is not giving that recommendation to everyone, they simply don't interchange if you have a near max load!!

I did locate some primers from a coworker and I will pick them up today.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Double check those Winchester primers.

Most of mine say for Standard or Magnum loads. Winchester typically only had one primer in each size, unlike CCI and Federal.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The large Winchester pistol say standard or magnum.

The large Winchester rifle say standard. But I wouldn't hesitate to use a magnum in a standard loading. And have.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'd hesitate to use a magnum primer in a standard loading. You MIGHT be just fine. You MIGHT not be just fine.

Not a might....the data published by industry recognized sources originates in a ballistics and pressure testing lab. I'm good with following industry recommendations, and with the idea that they're smarter than I am.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    As long as you're watching for over-pressure signs, it's all good.

Reloading manuals are guides. Not bibles.

Then there's this. Hmmm... Makes one wonder if Magnum primers are just hype.

wlp 002.JPG

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Note the A Square testing mentioned here. Briefly, 6 different primers tested in 7mm mag. Same bullet...same charge...12,800 psi of deviation between the 6 primers used. :shocked3::shocked3:

Labs can test. Loaders cannot.

This is still America. Let each man decide. But FOR ME, I'm going to follow the guidelines that recognized industry publishes. They're both better equipped and smarter than I am. It's a philosophy that's served me this long.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Success!! A co worker hooked me up with 200 primers!!! The load I have for this rifle is
    at a book max area and I would not interchange with a MAG primer with out reducing the load and working up. That "kid" obviously had no clue!

Thanks guys!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Winchester makes both large rifle primers and large rifle Magnum primers. I have both.

True. They also make small pistol standard and small pistol magnum primers. But while they make small rifle, they don't make small rifle magnum. And while they state that their large pistol primers are appropriate for both standard and magnum loads, they make no such claim with their small rifle labeling.

Confused yet? :D

http://www.winchester.com/Products/...chester-primers/Pages/winchester-primers.aspx

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And that is changed over the years.

Magnum primers are not hype. There is a test online where they tested the same load with different brands of primers and standard and magnum. In some cases, just changing to a magnum primer took a safe load over pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom