• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I bought one of these https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74-underfold-milled-ddi in September.

The website showed one in stock so I called to make sure I wasn't getting the runt of the litter. They sent me photos and said they actually had 2 others despite what the site said and I asked if they would hand select my rifle. She said they would do so and since she was headed to lunch she'd get in touch afterwards. She said since there weren't ten in stock to select from she wouldn't charge me for the hand select.

I waited two hours and when I didn't hear back from her I called and she said the two others had sold during her lunch break. :rolleyes: Sure enough the rifle showed sold out and then a couple of days later there were two available on the site. :bs:

I ordered the rifle and just got the opportunity to take it to the range the other day. I had to adjust the front sight way left to get it sighted in so I suspected canted sights although it wasn't too noticeable to the naked eye to confirm for sure.

I put the rifle on a level surface checked for level with a bubble level on the rear sight, then the rear sight. (Photos 1, 2, 3)

Yep, canted.

In addition, while cleaning it I noticed the rear folder shoulder rest wouldn't close without help from a plastic hammer and was very gritty.

I sent an email to Classic. Mr. William Belisle's response, "I have a similar problem with my Yugo AB2 underfold. I just adjusted and never did anything with warranty, is not pretty, but still works."

This is warranty issue with DDI. If you want to me to start warranty inquiry, let me know. I will CC you on the email directly to DDI to get that fixed for you. They are very good at taking care of our/their customers, and this is very rare on a DDI.
    "

DDI said, "Using a level across the front sight “ears” is not the best way to check for “cant”. I have attached a picture of how it is done correctly.

We place the bottom of the receiver with the furniture removed flat on a granite surface plate and use “speed squares” to measure directly from side to side.

Look at yours in this manner and get back to me.
    "

:tantrum:

I didn't have two speed squares so I improvised and took the photos attached. yep, canted. (Photos 4, 5) :tap:

DDI is taking care of me but it's still damn frustrating. "I don’t know how a cant like that got out as we are supposed to check everyone.

I have attached a firearm return form to this email that I need you to fill out and include in the box with the rifle and a copy of your driving license.

Send me your address and I’ll have UPS send you an email label that you will tape to the box and hand off to UPS to bring it back to us.

That folder is a non-issue, I’ll make sure its smooth as silk before you get it back
    ."

Take from this what you will but I'm done with Classic.

I doubt they'll publish my review on their page nor the photos of the canted sights so be careful if you choose to buy based on their sites reviews.

As for DDI, I'll hold out on my final opinion until after I get the rifle back. I'm confident they'll make it right.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 630
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      32.1 KB · Views: 626
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 621
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      23.7 KB · Views: 624
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 616
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      67 KB · Views: 620

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You can see the cant even without the squares for reference.

You have a liberal-left leaning rifle there...

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I've heard great things about DDI's customer service and the quality of their rifles. I'm following this thread, as a DDI purchase is in my near future.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I've seen that on some AK's a few years ago that came from Century, but that was not surprising since it was, well, Century lol.

Hopefully they get this fixed. Seems like they were more concerned about getting it out the door than they were about making sure it was assembled properly. That's a pretty obvious issue that would have been caught if it was even looked at after assembled.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Meh... Commie guns lean left... It's in their DNA...

j/k

I hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction...

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Hard to believe something that far off made its way through both DDI and Classic without getting flagged. But since they're both willing to make you happy, I'd just chock it up to experience. When it comes to dealing with humans, there's no such thing as perfection. Even a company like Rolex sometimes makes mistakes that leave one scratching your head. The difference between run-of-the-mill and high end is, I believe, in how a company goes about making such a mistake right for the customer once it's been brought to their attention. If they act quickly, without debate and make a reasonable effort to please the customer, that ranks high in my book.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If sight leans left, does that mean it hits right? Double whammy! Hope they fix it pronto!

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Hard to believe something that far off made its way through both DDI and Classic without getting flagged. But since they're both willing to make you happy, I'd just chock it up to experience. When it comes to dealing with humans, there's no such thing as perfection. Even a company like Rolex sometimes makes mistakes that leave one scratching your head. The difference between run-of-the-mill and high end is, I believe, in how a company goes about making such a mistake right for the customer once it's been brought to their attention. If they act quickly, without debate and make a reasonable effort to please the customer, that ranks high in my book.

I agree. Frustrating in the moment but it all tend s to go away in time if they make it right, and relatively frustration free.

As for Classic, if it were just this rifle getting past them, that's one thing, but the games they played with the initial purchase. Screw 'em.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Update to the thread. I just got the rifle back from DDI and it is perfect.
    DDI made the entire process as painless as possible. :thumbsup:

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Honestly, as long as an AK can be sighted in, It's actually in spec. Have seen multiple Factory built AK's from com bloc countries with canted sights.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Honestly, as long as an AK can be sighted in, It's actually in spec. Have seen multiple Factory built AK's from com bloc countries with canted sights.

Its funny, I was thinking the same... Not saying I would not want to try and get it fixed... However this was par for the course when looking at CAI WASRs. Check the front sight was not canted, gas block, rubbing gas piston... the list goes on. However its still an AK. You want precious, buy an AR...

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Its funny, I was thinking the same... Not saying I would not want to try and get it fixed... However this was par for the course when looking at CAI WASRs. Check the front sight was not canted, gas block, rubbing gas piston... the list goes on. However its still an AK. You want precious, buy an AR...

I agree to a point. Some companies pride themselves on quality while others (CAI) not so much. When buying a CAI you know going in what you may end up with. Fixing a canted sight isn't rocket science. With DDI they promote themselves as offering a quality product so that is what I expected, and what I got after they took a second look at it.

"Destructive Devices Industries, LLC, (DDI) is a firearms manufacturer built on the principle that there should be an intrinsic value in providing products which offer more personal and financial rewards than consumers expect to receive."

As far as CAI, they are upping their game. I bought an OPAP recently that is very well put together and greatly exceeds the quality of my previously owned WASR10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom