• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hey guys,

A friend of mine is an outdoor writer and wants to come to MD to hunt and potentially do a story on Sika Deer hunting. Do you all have any leads or outfitters you'd recommend ? Is it better to get a guide or is a DIY hunt the way to go?

Thanks in advance !

K

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Drive down elliott island Rd at 3am and you can hit as many as you want! :D. Just kidding.

I think a guide would be the way to go unless you know someone with some decent knowledge of public Sitka hunting.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Get him a pair of waders, a tent and send him to Blackwater Refuge. Honestly I have no idea but that's my plan one year. Always wanted to bag a Sika.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Drive down elliott island Rd at 3am and you can hit as many as you want! :D. Just kidding.

I think a guide would be the way to go unless you know someone with some decent knowledge of public Sitka hunting.

I don't think he's talking about hunting Southeast Alaska. ;)

Capt Frank

Feb 2, 2009
    Kent Island Maryland
    I have been doing Backwater for the last 4 years and the learning curve is huge unless you have someone that’s been hunting there for some time that can help you. Climbing stands and hip or chest waders are a must. Go to an outfitter. Try Muddy Marsh Outfitters. Located in Dorchester. Understand they are one of the best and not that expensive. There number is 410 228 2770. I am not any way affiliated with them. Good Luck.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Go to marylandwhitetail.com, on the forums page there is one called "The Wallow" that is dedicated to sika hunting and has lots of knowledgeable folks there.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    That would be a real cool story. He could try it on his own first . Then with an Outfitter and the story could be about the difference.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    try assateague

Maybe 10-15 years ago!
    FWIW, sika hunting has become too popular, tons of Pennsyltuckians EVERYWHERE.

LOL, 40 years ago we paid $1/acre for 600+ acre lease in Church Creek. plus had relatives in Crapo. Sika were a bonus, and the State was actively trying to reduce the herd. Now, leases are $$$ and public is often a madhouse, UNLESS you REALLY do your homework. And legwork.

If he's coming for a short trip, go outfitter, and if time, try DIY too.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    There is tons and tons of public land down there. A lot of it not even marked. Locals like to take down the public hunting signs so no one knows and they kinda get it to their self. I would go outfitter IMO. Muddy marsh outfitter is my advice. GReat guys. Great hunt grounds. Lots of good land to kill some nice sika. It's Deff a different expierence if you do it yourself and hunt public. It takes a lot of work and determination. there are some big deer on public land. Either way I wish him luck and good hunting.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Writers want to write about success, not a learning curve. Besides the cost of his hunt will be a business expense or picked up by someone else.

ESHOREhunter

Aug 16, 2012
    Have him call the Blackwater Refuge Hunt Coordinator. Hunt applications were just mailed out last weekend. Does he want to hunt just archery or muzzleloader & shotgun also? Allen Johnston 410-228-2677

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom