Want a Xbow but know NOTHING about them....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    OK, Id kinda like one mostly because
    A: I SUCK with a bow
    B: I don't have the strength I once had

so a xbow is the logical choice. BASIC and inexpensive (as far as xbows go), the equivalency of a Bear Blacktail or Whitetail hunter of compounds.

Simplicity is a good thing as well.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    BB,
    I'll give the same advice I give anyone who wants to get into archery in one form or another. Crossbows are fun, I suggest going to a bow shop and see what they have and ask them to let you try them. Have fun and good luck.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Look for a light crossbow that shoots over 300 fps.

For optics, get a scope, do not mess with an aim point.

You will need a cocking device, rail lube and string wax. Other common sense accessories: proper sized bolts, field points, and a target bag. Not all target bags are equal. Get one that will handle your bow.

Never dry fire a crossbow, most new crossbows have a safety built in to prevent it.

Oh, and learn about "degloving", it will always make you respect the crosbow.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    700 smackaroos or so.

Also, A Block brand target is a must have in my opinion.

And you will never forget the first time you pull the trigger with one or more of your digits above the string.

OUCH!!!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    GTFOH! :shocked2: 700 for a basic? I might wanna get a weaker compound!

The crossbows and compounds start at 400, but by the time you get the neccasities, plan in being around 700-800

Look for Barnett, they are a good name and easier on the wallet.

The Bear Cruzer is an affordable compound bow.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The crossbows and compounds start at 400, but by the time you get the neccasities, plan in being around 700-800

Look for Barnett, they are a good name and easier on the wallet.

The Bear Cruzer is an affordable compound bow.

Well.......... maybe something at the big gun auction coming up. I thought I could get into it at maybe 350 - 400 BUT that's why I asked here.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Scope out the hunting section at Gander Mountain, Dicks, Cabelas, or whatever place is close to you.

They are currently on sale post-season, look for the post Christmas ddeals to get a better price.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Most here will disagree, but aluminum bolts are much more forgiving than carbon fiber bolts.

Each year, when get ready for hunting season, I'm still amazed at just how fast a crossbow projectile flies.

Have fun with it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I decided on an Excalibur after studying Crossbows to death. I bought the Phoenix combo with scope, quiver and some bolts. One thing I like about the idea of the recurve Excalibur over compound crossbows is changing a string is just that, changing a string....not retuning or realigning your crossbow....and it could be done in the field if a string broke. Being a neophyte, that appealed to me.

Here is a quick list of advantages/disadvantages recurves and compound.

http://www.crossbownation.com/artic...curve-crossbows-versus-compound-crossbows-r18

One more plug for the Excalibur is the instruction video they include with the Crossbow. Gets you up to snuff and shooting pretty quickly.

I am no expert on crossbows, but I am pretty happy with the Excalibur

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I decided on an Excalibur after studying Crossbows to death. I bought the Phoenix combo with scope, quiver and some bolts. One thing I like about the idea of the recurve Excalibur over compound crossbows is changing a string is just that, changing a string....not retuning or realigning your crossbow....and it could be done in the field if a string broke. Being a neophyte, that appealed to me.

http://www.crossbownation.com/artic...curve-crossbows-versus-compound-crossbows-r18

One more plug for the Excalibur is the instruction video they include with the Crossbow. Gets you up to snuff and shooting pretty quickly.

Great crossbow! Lots of people like them. I went with a tenpoint for the safeties and the accudraw crank. My daughter wanted to hunt with it on occasion, so she needed the crank, and I wanted the dry fire safety and other safeties ... for her.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    One of the Hunter's Safety Instructors on the Stoney Creek Team is so enamored with his Ten Point, that he sings their praises to anyone who will listen. He did make me take a good hard look at them before I purchased the Excalibur Phoenix. Thanks, for you comment on my choice.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Good info........... thanks!:thumbsup:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    One of the Hunter's Safety Instructors on the Stoney Creek Team is so enamored with his Ten Point, that he sings their praises to anyone who will listen. He did make me take a good hard look at them before I purchased the Excalibur Phoenix. Thanks, for you comment on my choice.
    If the string on mine breaks while hunting, I'm screwed. You're not. You picked an outstanding bow!

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I haven't hunted with it (or any bow or Xbow yet) but I got the Barnet Raptor from Cabela's on sale for $300. Quiver, 3 bolts, field points, string wax, rope cocker and scope. Easy to assemble despite crappy instructions and very accurate in the yard on the Xbow target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom