What are you thoughts on the Remington 887?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodrow76

May 27, 2011
    Cecil-tucky
    Hello,

I was thinking of picking up a Remington 887, the 28inch barrel. I have heard mixed reviews on it. A co-worker has one, and never had any issues with it. I have also shot his and I like it as well. I know almost everyone will point me to an 870, which is a good gun. I have shot those many times. I know others will point toward the Mossberg 500 or Benelli SuperNova. Just curious on what everyone's take is on the 887.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The 887 is a better gun than the 870; unfortunately, the after-market isn't there for the 887, so no one buys it.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Looks good , I've got a 887 tactical and still haven't shot it , I've heard good and bad about the 887 model, go for it it's only $

You have a chance to shoot it yet? I have heard very mixed reviews about this shotgun. My wife is looking for a good one and we dont like wasting money. Saw one today and she liked it but want to make sure its a decent gun before we put down $500 for it

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'll take my 870 Wingmaster any day. Have 2 11-87 Sporters and a 20ga 391 Sporting clays and Wingmaster is still my favorite 36 years later. They are a different animal than the other 870s.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    I don't personally care for them. I was in the market for a durable pump action not too long ago and I ended up with a benelli super nova. The 887 handles like a 2x4 and the plastic armor is ugly. I've also read about them slam firing.

I picked up a black nova with 26" barrel. Took it dove hunting and fell in love. I picked up a 26" super nova in APG for turkey hunting too. I haven't had a single problem with either of the guns I currently have. The first SN I bought had a blemish in the chrome coating on the barrel, and the springs in the trigger group were like bent. I sent it back to Benelli and they incinerated it, and sent me a brand new hand picked gun. Right now new benellis come with a 10 year warranty too.

I'd love to support Remy, especially since they just moved to my home state, but the nova/SN is the way to go in indestructible pumps. IMHO.

Browning BPS is nice too, but less adjustable and harder to clean.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'll agree the Nova is a very nice gun. If I needed another it would top my list.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    I like mine. 887 got a bad rap when it first came out. I think they resolved the issues it was having. It's been flawless.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The 887 looks nice. Haven't shot one. Too new so poor aftermarket support. If it were me, I would buy a Wingmaster. I've got a Mossberg 500 and Benelli Supernova, both with 28" barrels. The Benelli is light years better quality than the Mossberg. Then again, Mossberg parts are readily available and inexpensive, making it good for all-around use. Benelli parts are rare and uber pricey, so basically a one-trick pony for most people. Tough choice all the way around.

Jack Burton

Apr 2, 2013
    Edgewater, MD
    I have the 887 tactical. I've shot it a few times with no issues. I spend less than 10% of my shooting time with shotguns, so take that endorsement for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom