"Tactical" 22 LR vs Ruger 10/22 vs Bolt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I'm trying to round out my collection with one more rifle. I have a .223/5.56, .308/7.62, 9mm semi and 12ga pump, and I feel like I've a glaring omission. I'd like a .22 LR for cheaper plinking and practice, as well as a general purpose "survival rifle".

I'm trying to tune the shooter at this point. I was wondering if anyone had much experience with .22 rifles patterned after the AR platform (with the collapsible stocks and quad rails, etc), and whether they're worth a damn. They're pricey compared to simpler offerings and I just don't know what I'd be paying for.

I'm thinking that I should keep it simple since I already have the other rifles. It seems like the ruger 10/22 is a very popular platform. I was also considering a bolt action, since I used to shoot those when I was first learning and it was a blast, but I don't know anything about a good vs bad bolt action .22.

I'd love to hear your perspectives.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I'm trying to round out my collection with one more rifle. I have a .223/5.56, .308/7.62, 9mm semi and 12ga pump, and I feel like I've a glaring omission. I'd like a .22 LR for cheaper plinking and practice, as well as a general purpose "survival rifle".

I'm trying to tune the shooter at this point. I was wondering if anyone had much experience with .22 rifles patterned after the AR platform (with the collapsible stocks and quad rails, etc), and whether they're worth a damn. They're pricey compared to simpler offerings and I just don't know what I'd be paying for.

I'm thinking that I should keep it simple since I already have the other rifles. It seems like the ruger 10/22 is a very popular platform. I was also considering a bolt action, since I used to shoot those when I was first learning and it was a blast, but I don't know anything about a good vs bad bolt action .22.

10/22 is great gun, accurate and fun to shoot My other favorite is a Henry Frontier 22LR with Octagon barrel. I like the setup a slight bit better then the Golden Boy as it has 3/8 rimfire scope rail integrated via grooved receiver. I also recently picked up a Ruger Rimfire American rifle. First impression is it is very accurate and great features for cost.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have all three a M&P15-22 a 10/22 and a 77/22 I like them all they are all accurate scopes on the Rugers and open sites on the M&P. I comes down to if you want semi or not and if you want classic or more modern styling

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's

I have some 10/22 and they are fun awesome shooters, and if I where looking for a survival/pack gun, id consider a 10/22 take down. or in one of the better bullpup stocks, depending on your accuracy requirements.

If your looking for something that will shoot 22 lr but replicate the feel and manual of arms of an AR-15 or other rifle, a 10/22 may not meet need unless you can stock it just right. I tried a 10/22 AR conversion kit and while it worked, it wasn't quite right. for me. So my plan is to either get a dedicated 22 lr upper and make it similar to my larger rifles, or get a M&P 15-22 to replicate the feel of a larger rifle.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I forget who on the board says this all the time, but everyone should have a Ruger 10/22 in their collection.

The other rifles are good, but the Ruger is the one to have if you don't have one right now.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    This is good feedback, and quick! Thanks very much for your input. I was leaning toward a 10/22 already because it's so cheap I almost can't go wrong.

I do like that M&P a good bit. Wasn't trying to pay that much though, and I'm not too concerned about maintaining feel or manual of arms. I think I'd actually rather have a bit of diversity. There are some rail systems for 10/22s it seems. Are any of them any good for accessories?

Are there any drawbacks to the takedown 10/22 versus a normal one?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I like bolt action .22s for a range gun. I personally have a Marlin XT-22 and have been pleased with it. They can be found for less than $200. The Savage MKII is a solid option as well.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I had a 10/22 and couldn't stop fiddling with it. New barrel, New stock, New Trigger, Hold open release mod. It was making me spend money I wanted to spend on other guns. Now I have an M&P 15-22 and couldn't be happier.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I had a 10/22 and couldn't stop fiddling with it. New barrel, New stock, New Trigger, Hold open release mod. It was making me spend money I wanted to spend on other guns. Now I have an M&P 15-22 and couldn't be happier.

That's why I still don't have a 10/22. I bought a 15/22 to simulate the feel of my AR and it does that pretty well - and it's accurate and reliable and fun.

Also, I don't consider the 10/22 all that cheap in the first place. I bought a Marlin 60-DLX for my son, we threw a scope on it, and it's incredibly accurate without fiddling with a bunch of aftermarket crap. Last time out, we were shooting 10-meter air-gun targets at 50 yards.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    If you want to go a level or two above the amazing and fun Ruger 10/22, check out the Sig Sauer 522. It's modeled after their 556 rifle.

Collapsible stock, eats any 22LR ammo you feed it, and (this is huge) it takes standard 22 magazines, like the superb and inexpensive Black Dog X-Forms. Most other tacticool 22LR rifles use proprietary (expensive) magazines. It has a polymer lower and machined aluminum upper with integrated Picatinny rail. All very high quality. I've had this rifle for a few years and it is reliable, accurate, well-made, and a whole lot of fun. Put a red-dot sight on it and you can easily plink out to 50 yards all day long.

Attachments

• SuperMagSigSauer522.jpg
      SuperMagSigSauer522.jpg
      106.3 KB · Views: 713
    Last edited:

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    If you want to go a level or two above the amazing and fun Ruger 10/22, check out the Sig Sauer 522. It's modeled after their 556 rifle.

That's an interesting proposition. I have a good bit of brand loyalty with Sig at this point...

What's the deal with those mags? If I found a 522 on gunbroker with a 25 rnd magazine, can I legally ship it in to an MD ffl and take possession of that magazine? Are the rules any different for .22 magazines, or would I still need to refuse the mag and buy them elsewhere?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you're interested in cheap training for an AR for you and any youngin/new shooter, get a s&w m&p15-22. They're accurate, reliable, and all the controls are the same as with a standard AR(compared to most conversions or the colt..with bolt catches that typically don't really work). They're a great gun for a semi-auto plinker, with training transfer to a full AR.

For a survival rifle, 10-22 takedown. You can break it down and toss it in a backpack in about 5 seconds. When you take it out and toss it back together, it'll still be zero'd. You can toss in whatever aftermarket 10/22 things in to it that you want...and now there's even a folding stock for the sumbitch. An accurate, highly customizeable, semi-auto 10/22, that takes 30 rnd mags and can break down to toss in a bag.....that's a pretty kickass little survival gun/plinker.

If you're thinking you want a target rimfire to work on your trigger pressing, get a cz-452/453. Feed it wolf match or eley and be continually amazed at how small a group you can put up with it, even at 100 yds. Depending on if you want to use open sights or put a scope on it, you'll get different versions. The american version brings the stock up a bit so your eyes line up behind the scope when you have a cheekweld. The lux and euro versions will drop the stock away so you're lined up with the irons. Another option would be to spend a little more on the ammo when you go shooting and pickup a heavy-barreled savage 93 in 17hmr. The savage will easily be capable of sub moa 100 yd groups. I've known lots of guys with them that can pretty regularly hit a dime at 100 yards when the wind is calm. As far as using the savage 17hmr for a survival rifle, you get the advantage of being able to carry a LOT of ammo with pretty much no weight, but still have the power and range to be able to reliably drop fox sized game.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    My vote would be a Marlin 60. Significantly cheaper than the 10/22 takedown. Accurate, simple, but still semi-auto. Tube magazine is simple to load. Nothing wrong with the 10/22, but I love my Marlin 60 for cheap 22 plinking fun. The thing is crazy accurate for what you pay for it. Downside - not much in the way of aftermarket parts and some people aren't into the tube magazines. But if you don't want to "tacticool" it up - you should look at the Marlin 60.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    If you want the 10/22 accuracy and reliability, but want the tactical feel buy a Ruger SR22 rifle. It is the 10/22 put into a tactical package. I have well over 5000 rounds thru mine and it is tack driving accurate from a bench with my bushnell red dot.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Just get a standard 10/22 then when you get tired of it you can use it for a platform to build anything you want,amount of options available is amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpg
      IMG_1333.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 674

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Another budget option is a marlin 795. Dirt cheap and accurate as hell out of the box. I'm Also a huge fan of the 15-22!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rule 1 - EVERYONE should have a 10/22.

Rule 2 - When in doubt, see Rule 1.

:lol2:

My answer, get all three.

As has been mentioned, the S&W 15-22 is a great trainer for your AR platform rifles. And great fun to shoot. And accurate.

A good bolt .22 is a good trainer for a serious long range precision rifle. .22 at 200 yards will test your shooting ability. I have a Ruger 77/22, but my choice for a precision trainer is a CZ455. I have the VPT, which comes in a Manners T4 stock. And my .308 precision rifle has a Manners T4A stock. So a lot of transfer there.

And for the 10/22, see the rules above. :) I think the only thing left on my original 10/22 is the receiver, bolt, and trigger housing. :)

The other semi autos mentioned are also good rifles. The nice thing is, .22 rifles are not super expensive, so you can have a selection.

I always liked the Remington 66 series. I may just have to pick one up for fun.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Another budget option is a marlin 795. Dirt cheap and accurate as hell out of the box. I'm Also a huge fan of the 15-22!!

:thumbsup: Add tech sights, a sling and a few extra factory mags and you're still around $250 - $275. Very light, dependable and accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom