• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I did not see a thread on the 2014 attorney general race so I thought I would start one to start some brain storming for our game plan. The candidates so far are the following.

Aisha N. Braveboy, State Representative, Prince Georges Co.
    Jon S. Cardin, State Representative, Baltimore Co.
    William Frick, State Representative Montgomery Co.
    Brian E. Frosh, State Senator, Montgomery Co.

I feel it is safe to assume that we, at all costs, want to keep the frosh disease from spreading. Other than that, I really do not see who would be the least damaging. Who should we back in the primary for DINO purposes? Any other game plan ideas?

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    My gut says Frick, if only because he's the least known. Braveboy may be ineffectual enough to be an option.

Uncle Ben will be helping Cardin, I'm sure.

And Cardin was a sponsor of HB1277 last year. That wonderful bit of legislation proposed:

Increasing the sales and use tax rate for ammunition to 50% of the taxable price; and distributing the revenue from the sales and use tax on ammunition to the Waiting List Equity Fund to pay for services for individuals with developmental disabilities.

He is no friend to the 2A cause.
    On the other hand, he may be too stupid to do much damage.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    NO I can't agree with ABF, Cardin is too likely to be like papa and that would be disastrous as well. But then looking at all the candidates listed and where they are from, we're screwed.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    What does a weak ag like mini Ben buy us? I am trying to figure out why anyone would risk it... its a pure coat tails play...nepotism at its finest.. but it looks risky from the d POV. As rep he can hide.... not as AG.

Until I feel I understand the game...I can't chose... something is not right.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Frick should be probed to make statements on our issue. I wonder who would concede the most ground when pressed for official AG opinions. This elected position probably will not respect our issue for at least a couple successful election cycles. Perhaps we should go at it in a pure vendetta manner for those who wanted to "take my chances".

Longvisit

Jan 2, 2013
    My gut says Frick, if only because he's the least known. Braveboy may be ineffectual enough to be an option.

Uncle Ben will be helping Cardin, I'm sure.

As part of my job I work with Bill Frick from time to time. During the SB281 hearings we discussed a few of the issues. He expressed a deep concern for the violence in Baltimore. I wasn't able to sway him with arguments about the ineffectiveness of SB281.

However I learned that he is not a hoplophobe. He doesn't show any disdain for the legal firearm owning community. He had respect for my opinions and viewed it as unfortunate that this had become a political issue. Bill told me that as an AG he looks forward to making decisions based on laws and the constitution, not politics.

I'll keep watching the race but I'm fairly comfortable this is our best if not only choice.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Great info... thanks!!

Would it be fair to say, then, that he likes being low-profile??

ETA... Do you believe he would take an approach as AG similar to those taken by Goldstein, Schaefer, and Franchot as Comptroller (that the job requires an unbiased hand in favor of the people)??

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Cardin is rabidly anti-gun, and Frosh is rabidly anti-gun, and has a disgusting mustache too. So he's probably the worse out of those two.

Frick was initially appointed to his seat by O'Malley. I don't think he'll be good. He strikes me as another know-it-all elitist MoCo politician who is going to very actively work to save those dummies in the other 22 counties from themselves. Poster's comment above about how he is deeply concerned about Baltimore makes me think that even more.

I don't have a good feeling about any of them, but for some reason I am thinking Braveboy who has a history of worrying more about things like consumer protection legislation might be our least aggressive attorney general when it comes to going after gun rights.

Personally I don't think it's going to matter anyway. I think the fix is in for Cardin and that's who the machine wants. He's an up and comer with a very powerful uncle who can move on up the ladder. I think the dem leadership would much rather have him in that position than some old burned out hippie like Frosh who's going to do a term or two and retire to a golf course somewhere.

Longvisit

Jan 2, 2013
    Great info... thanks!!

Would it be fair to say, then, that he likes being low-profile??

ETA... Do you believe he would take an approach as AG similar to those taken by Goldstein, Schaefer, and Franchot as Comptroller (that the job requires an unbiased hand in favor of the people)??

Good questions. I really don't know him as a politician. As someone I worked with he was definitely a team player, sometimes taking the lead and other times just providing support as necessary.

I'm new to Maryland politics so I could not make those comparisons. I will run that quote by him next time I see him and pass on his response.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    This is probably a dumb question, but can Frosh do more harm dor us in his current position or as AG? Seems like every chance we had in the Senate Judiciary was screwed up by him. What has Gansler done beside appeal all of our court wins. I think ant Dem as AG isnt going to make a big difference or change the status quo.
    If Frosh loses, we are screwed at AG. If he wins, we are still screwed at AG but he isnt the SJC chairman.
    Make any sense?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Cardin is rabidly anti-gun, and Frosh is rabidly anti-gun, and has a disgusting mustache too. So he's probably the worse out of those two.

Frick was initially appointed to his seat by O'Malley. I don't think he'll be good. He strikes me as another know-it-all elitist MoCo politician who is going to very actively work to save those dummies in the other 22 counties from themselves. Poster's comment above about how he is deeply concerned about Baltimore makes me think that even more.

I don't have a good feeling about any of them, but for some reason I am thinking Braveboy who has a history of worrying more about things like consumer protection legislation might be our least aggressive attorney general when it comes to going after gun rights.

Personally I don't think it's going to matter anyway. I think the fix is in for Cardin and that's who the machine wants. He's an up and comer with a very powerful uncle who can move on up the ladder. I think the dem leadership would much rather have him in that position than some old burned out hippie like Frosh who's going to do a term or two and retire to a golf course somewhere.

Cardin will be a shill. This is what I fear more than even Frosh.. Frsh may freelance and give us a wedge in the machine --

But it much to early to know..

We must watch them all..

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    This is probably a dumb question, but can Frosh do more harm dor us in his current position or as AG? Seems like every chance we had in the Senate Judiciary was screwed up by him. What has Gansler done beside appeal all of our court wins. I think ant Dem as AG isnt going to make a big difference or change the status quo.
    If Frosh loses, we are screwed at AG. If he wins, we are still screwed at AG but he isnt the SJC chairman.
    Make any sense?

One issue is how the AG will proceed on enforcement. It could lead to aggressive, self aggrandizing politically motivated prosecutions-- the law is very iffy in spots .. lots of room for mischief ..

Longvisit

Jan 2, 2013
    Make any sense?

In the senate Frosh is one voice in 50 even if he is a big voice. As the AG he's the one ultimately responsible for deciding if your understanding of possession, transporting, transferring and self defense is criminal. As he views us as nuts I don't ever want to take that chance. He fought against clarifying the law, it's hard to believe that wasn't intentional and part of his longer term vision.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Make any sense?

No, it's a very good question! :) They are both very powerful positions. The chairmanship of Senate Judiciary is probably exceeded in power only by the Speaker of the House and Senate President in the General Assembly. Don't forget, Senate Judiciary not only hears gun laws but they handle the overwhelming majority of matters concerning other criminal laws in MD. Having the pocket veto over that committee's actions gives that chair a ton of power and deal-making ability.

I think as AG he would be even worse for gun owners though. He would have a four year term of free reign to go after gun rights with every extremist opinion he could issue, as well as his very own (albeit small) team of prosecutors and investigators. Not to mention he would have a much more accessible public stage through the news media. And Frosh is very passionate about hating guns. It's clear that his dislike of gun rights is not just party driven, it's personal. He is without a doubt the worst candidate of the four for us.

Plus, he really does have a truly awful mustache....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom