• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forummastah

Sep 24, 2013
    I leaded off with a post on breaking in rifle barrels and it seems there is no need and there is evidence it may actually do harm. I think I'm going to shoot my Ruger 10/22 without cleaning it at all over the next several years and record my range results monthly.

Anybody done anything like this? Maybe I'll be surprised. I've heard old timers say they never cleaned their 22s and could still hit a tin can at 50 yards after 30 years.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I haven't cleaned my remington 597 since I bought it 5 years ago and it still shoots less than 1" groups at 50 yards and not much larger at 100.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have heard that unless you use corrosive ammo, you really only need a protective coat of oil (against rust) and to keep the barrel and action free of obstruction. Some claim that cleaning rods actually damage your barrel and impact accuracy. I would think the cable / string type cleaners are better. I always clean my rifles.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I only clean the receiver on my 22's unless I shoot a lot of lead bullets which I haven't in a long time. I agree with the cleaning rod comment use a bore snake if you must clean it

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The general consensus seems to be that a person can do more harm than good trying to clean a .22 barrel with the wrong cleaning rod, and that it should be avoided.

In my case, I try to split the difference - I don't clean mine often, but when I do, I use a Hoppe's bore snake, which seems to do a pretty good job, and is very easy on the bore and crown of the barrel.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I don't except maybe once every 2 years with a patch or 2 of wipe out. I remember an article where a guy shot an MP 15-22 like 50,000 rounds without cleaning it. It was dirty but I don't think it failed. Can't find the link right now.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I was talking to some guy who heads up a competitive rimfire group. He said they dont compete. Unless their barrels have 500 fowling shoots through them. If they clean them they go through another large amount of fowling again.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    wow

I am old school and always clean up after shooting.
    Sometime that week or so.
    Maybe just run a patch through a couple of times.
    Habit I suppose.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I usually just oil and clean the receiver. Every 1000 rounds or so, I'll run a boresnake through the barrel and oil it, prior to storage.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    22s tend to get filthy and jam up. If it is running smoothly, I wouldn't worry about it.

:thumbsup: 10/22 will jam up eventually depending on the ammo you use...the bore I rarely clean/ed the other receiver parts I try to clean up 500-1000rds and spray out the trigger assembly...you'll feel it getting gritty when you pull the trigger. Then you know its time to clean.

Sirex