• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you're a ham you may be aware of the "13 Colonies" Special Event going on this week to celebrate Independence day, but have you seen New York's QSL card for the event?

Click and scroll down.

http://www.13colonies.info/NY13Col.htm

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    I am just now starting to get into ham, I am still studying for the tech and general tests - so whats this 13 colonies thing, I looked at the site, but still don't fully understand it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I am just now starting to get into ham, I am still studying for the tech and general tests - so whats this 13 colonies thing, I looked at the site, but still don't fully understand it.

Part of "radio sport" is contesting and special events. Special events are usually where one or more radio stations will call for responses based on some theme. For instance there was one recently where submarines (decommissioned, museums) operated a special event. You can usually get some type of commemorative card or some other item if you request it. The Indy 500 is another. Contests are where operators try to make as many contacts as possible under a set of rules usually also with a theme. For instance, each state has a "QSO party" each year. You get points for each contact made, multipliers or more points for using different modes such as CW (Morse code) or for making a contact in each county for instance. The Maryland QSO party is coming up soon. Part of the rules is an "exchange" usually your call sign, location, signal report, and maybe a sequential number.

13 Colonies is called a special event but it is also a contest.

You learn a great deal about how to operate during a contest. It's an incentive to hone your skills. It's especially good practice for the contest stations in handling large volumes of traffic.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks for the info, once I get the knowledge down and my license, participating in something like this seems pretty cool. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom