• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well, I have been jonesing for a DA/SA .357 revolver for some time. I would love a Python but would rather not have to spend $2000+ for one.

The reissue of the 586 has an MSRP of $809. I'm sure there will be some cast and/or MIM parts in there, but hey some of the Pythons do too.

Shouldn't take too long to save up for one. :)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57779_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

586s are great guns, as are 686s. But they're prettier (and allegedly smoother) w/o the lock, and not that hard to find. Or, if you don't want to shoot full-house .357s all the time (or 125grs any of the time) and get the prettiest revolver ever made by man, the Model 19.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    586s are great guns, as are 686s. But they're prettier (and allegedly smoother) w/o the lock, and not that hard to find. Or, if you don't want to shoot full-house .357s all the time (or 125grs any of the time) and get the prettiest revolver ever made by man, the Model 19.

The lock can be removed. :)

I sort of just want a carry/IDPA revolver. If it needs tweaking that can be done. Rebluing? I can do that too...

I dunno, I like the appeal of buying a new revolver. I missed the boat on buying one in the 60s and 70s because... well... as they say I wasn't even a scratch in my dad's boxers yet.

SOME DAY I will have a Python. I do like Smiths, as well as Colts. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I like Smith revolvers, and have more of tham than I do Colts. But the Python is a very good-looking item, and the Smiths with the full underlug are all, to my eyes, gross and ugly. Odd.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I bought a used 686 4-inch (circa 1989) last year and love it. I shoot it about once a week and normally shoot 38 spls through it to save money. However, I store it with 357 SJHP as my street ammo and leave it in until I get to the range. I am fortunate to have a MD carry. I qualify with both a revolver and a semi-auto annually. I use the 686 to qualify with as opposed to my Mod. 60 snub nose.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'd love to find a PRE-lock 586 or 686.
    I'd dearly love to find a LNIB mdl 27, PRE-lock!

Until then, I'm 'stuck' with my beloved old mdl 19-4. It's a "Bangor Punta" era mdl 19.
    RR/WO/TT/TH (I installed the target trigger and target hammer.)
    This lovely old gal has over 15,000 rounds through it.

A very good friend of mine took it to a S&W armorer and got the forcing cone re-cut (3 angle cut) when the revolver got to the 11,000 round mark.

Accuracy is fantastic!

I'd love to find a PRE-lock 586 or 686.
    I'd dearly love to find a LNIB mdl 27, PRE-lock!

Until then, I'm 'stuck' with my beloved old mdl 19-4. It's a "Bangor Punta" era mdl 19.
    RR/WO/TT/TH (I installed the target trigger and target hammer.)
    This lovely old gal has over 15,000 rounds through it.

A very good friend of mine took it to a S&W armorer and got the forcing cone re-cut (3 angle cut) when the revolver got to the 11,000 round mark.

Accuracy is fantastic!

I've got a 19-4 just like yours. It came with the rubber grips and the Targets, but I've put a pair of Kim Ahrends Retro Combats on it. Mine's got the smoothest trigger I've ever tried on a revolver.

Re 586s and M-27s, try Chantilly. I've seen a good many nice old Smiths there, and the prices not too bad. (This was before the madness.)

byf43

I've got a 19-4 just like yours. It came with the rubber grips and the Targets, but I've put a pair of Kim Ahrends Retro Combats on it. Mine's got the smoothest trigger I've ever tried on a revolver.

Re 586s and M-27s, try Chantilly. I've seen a good many nice old Smiths there, and the prices not too bad. (This was before the madness.)

My beloved 19-4 came w/ Rosewood stocks, and I bought a set of Goncalo Alves stocks for it.

When we moved into this house, I put the Rosewoods stocks 'somewhere' and now I can't find 'em!!!!!
    I can put my hands on everything else, but those.

This grand old revolver is the first revolver that I ever bought.
    Greg del Real (may he forever Rest in Peace) at Realco was instrumental in me picking this particular one.

Probably the best $247.95 I ever spent! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I may consider buying one. I've been looking for a 4-6 inch 586 (maybe a 686) at a good price in good shape, and they are rather difficult to find than many other guns simply because owners like them and generally do not sell them as there really isn't anything in the wheel gun class to 'upgrade' to, other than perhaps a Performance Shop model, but that is a different class.

The only thing I'm stuck on is that I like the look of the blued finish more, but I like the stainless finish's durability and ease of refinishing. Grip-wise, as much as I like the Hogue and the stock grip on the 586, I've really come to like the Pachmayr.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Have you considered buying a used one? They're available at prices at or below the new ones. You'll get a better quality gun without a lock or MIM parts. Be patient and the right one will come along. Good luck.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Have you considered buying a used one? They're available at prices at or below the new ones. You'll get a better quality gun without a lock or MIM parts. Be patient and the right one will come along. Good luck.

Yeah, but it's nice to have the option. Trust me, I know they don't make them like they used to. I'll keep my eyes peeled at the next Chantilly show.

Now that I'm in Virginia, gun shows are much more interesting. Tons of competition, plus instant gratification. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD

I've noticed a lot of people prefer pre-lock models...is it only because the trigger is better or is the firearm itself more reliable due to fewer parts? I've also noticed some people seem to strongly prefer the older hammer style with the firing pin directly on the hammer itself?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I've noticed a lot of people prefer pre-lock models...is it only because the trigger is better or is the firearm itself more reliable due to fewer parts? I've also noticed some people seem to strongly prefer the older hammer style with the firing pin directly on the hammer itself?

To my knowledge they have been making their revolvers with and without the lock... hopefully the trend continues.

As for the firing pin, there are a few more parts with a frame-mounted pin. Functionally, they both work. I guess if you're old school you have to have the firing pin on the hammer...

I've never heard anyone that was too particular about it... I hear more gripes about Colt's 1911s (and clones of course) and the Series 70/80 battle.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

byf43

For me, I personally prefer the Pre-Lock/Pre-"Glory Hole" S&W revolvers.

Why??
    • I do NOT like the fact that S&W 'caved in' to the Klinton administration and put the lock on their arms. (I don't care that the company that makes/owns the Patent on the lock, owns S&W, either!)

• I've read (and heard) of the lock engaging in revolvers with stout/heavy recoil.
    Truth???? Lore???? Bovine Scatology????? I can't comment on that.
    I just know that I don't wanna worry about my revolver 'locking' IF/WHEN I need it most!
    Granted, removal/altering the lock isn't 'that' difficult. 15-30 minute job for someone that knows the internal workings of the revolver and has basic knowledge of tools.

• I just don't like the look of that (bleep-bleep-bleep-bleepin') hole in the side of the frame, above the cylinder release.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    For me, I personally prefer the Pre-Lock/Pre-"Glory Hole" S&W revolvers.

Why??
    • I do NOT like the fact that S&W 'caved in' to the Klinton administration and put the lock on their arms. (I don't care that the company that makes/owns the Patent on the lock, owns S&W, either!)

• I've read (and heard) of the lock engaging in revolvers with stout/heavy recoil.
    Truth???? Lore???? Bovine Scatology????? I can't comment on that.
    I just know that I don't wanna worry about my revolver 'locking' IF/WHEN I need it most!
    Granted, removal/altering the lock isn't 'that' difficult. 15-30 minute job for someone that knows the internal workings of the revolver and has basic knowledge of tools.

• I just don't like the look of that (bleep-bleep-bleep-bleepin') hole in the side of the frame, above the cylinder release.

It's enough to make me seriously consider mounting a rescue operation to locate one without the lock. Maybe they will do some of the new 586's without the ILS :)

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I had a M64 S&W and couldn't stand it. The fixed sights and timing was off. Last fall, I found a USED 686 at Atlantic in Sil Spr. I am totally in love with it. Today at IW in Damascus, I shot at 10 yds and put two single action head shots dead center in a sihoulette target through the same hole. (Yes, I know that I'm not normally that lucky.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom