• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    What can you guys tell me about the 6.8 SPC? If you had the opportunity to buy a 6.8 SPC DPMS barrel for $50 would you buy it? The barrel has maybe 20 rounds through it. Can this be put on a AR 15 upper and lower? Does it take a regular AR BCG? How accurate is this round and how far can it shoot?

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    It was supposed to be the next big thing. Well its not. military didn't want it, to expensive for paper shooters, .300blk is better IMO for hunting. Personally I say get a .300blk. Same brass for 5.56 shooters, same mags for 5.56 shooters, same power as 6.8.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    You can find some really robust comparisons between 6.8 and 300 blk out there. The things I remember on the 6.8 were that it was a very good round but had some logistical problems. I think it's supposed to sit in a slightly different magazine and using a standard one increases failures. It also uses a slightly different bolt carrier. With the cost per round and incompatibility with standard AR parts, I'm passing on 6.8. Might do 308 instead.

However, for that price, I'd probably do it.

Last edited:

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    It was supposed to be the next big thing. Well its not. military didn't want it, to expensive for paper shooters, .300blk is better IMO for hunting. Personally I say get a .300blk. Same brass for 5.56 shooters, same mags for 5.56 shooters, same power as 6.8.

That's funny you say that. I was gonna ask you today about 6.8 vs 300.

As far as I know. Mil spec lowers will work. You need mags, dedicated 6.8 Bcg, and barrel. From other posts. 6.8 can be pretty accurate. Lots of guys use it for hog hunting. Capable of 3-400 yard shots. Bout the same ballistics of a 300 cept a 300 blk can be suppressed. Plus mentioned things about the casing.

But for $50. I'd try it. Get a stripped upper, Bcg, and mags and try it out.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    My friend who tested the 6.8 for the Army while at CAG, said there were too many problems. It was later determined that these problems were from Remington using large primers and not seating them for semi-auto use.

I have the 6.8 SPC for my Robinson XCR. SSA, Silver State Armory, makes great ammo using small primers. I, too, bought this for whitetails. I shoot Sierra Pro Hunter 110 gr SSA. At 100 yards, you can cover the group with a quarter.

I like this round for self defense as it is 110 v. 55 gr. the recoil is indistinguishable. For SD, I prefer Barnes TSX 110gr.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    Figure out exactly what the chamber is. There are a lot of different flavors of 6.8, and apparently the SAAMI dimensions are less than ideal.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

are you serious? .300 blackout is better? It's inferior to 7.62x39!

6.8 spc is indeed pricey, but it would be a lot less pricey if people started buying it enough that they ramped up production.

The velocity, especially with higher bullet weights, makes the 6.8 amazingly effective on deer, and it works MIRACULOUSLY well on feral hogs- and those things are sturdy mother effers!

Deer Slayer!!!

Mar 12, 2013
    Carroll County
    My Mini 14 is chambered in 6.8 and as others have mentioned it is an effective round on whitetails. My only word of caution is finding ammo, I guess if you load your own it won't be as much of an issue but I usually order large quantities at a time off the web before the panic happened.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    That's funny you say that. I was gonna ask you today about 6.8 vs 300.

As far as I know. Mil spec lowers will work. You need mags, dedicated 6.8 Bcg, and barrel. From other posts. 6.8 can be pretty accurate. Lots of guys use it for hog hunting. Capable of 3-400 yard shots. Bout the same ballistics of a 300 cept a 300 blk can be suppressed. Plus mentioned things about the casing.

But for $50. I'd try it. Get a stripped upper, Bcg, and mags and try it out.

technically that's not quite true. All you need is a 6.8 spc bolt, and to add some weight to your buffer, and you're good to go.

I guess you could buy a whole new bolt carrier group, but why go to all that expense? It's not like you can quick change barrels on an AR

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    are you serious? .300 blackout is better? It's inferior to 7.62x39!

6.8 spc is indeed pricey, but it would be a lot less pricey if people started buying it enough that they ramped up production.

The velocity, especially with higher bullet weights, makes the 6.8 amazingly effective on deer, and it works MIRACULOUSLY well on feral hogs- and those things are sturdy mother effers!

.300blk will also kill hogs just fine. It's also (to use your own words) "amazingly effective on deer". I harvested 2 with my .300blk last season, one left a blood trail even Ronnie Milsap could follow.

So you want us to buy more ammo for a gun that even the Army doesn't want so prices will come down for you? :wtf:

Face it guys 6.8 will disappear. Besides hunting, there's no market for it. From a hunting prospective I'm going .300blk all day long because its not a huge pain in the ass like 6.8. Same mags as my 5.56, same BCG as my 5.56, able to suppress, reloads with 5.56 brass, .30cal.

6.8 is none of that and expensive.

I also own a 40, love glocks, and think 1911s suck

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    My Robinson XCR is a non typical piston AR. I have a 5.56 barrel & bolt & will buy the 7.62 x 39 conversion kit at some point. They're supposedly making 300 Blackout & 22LR Conversions soon. Conversion kits run around $500.

I can convert calibers in 3 minutes. From 6.8 to 5.56, little change in impact using my EOTech at 100 yards.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    technically that's not quite true. All you need is a 6.8 spc bolt, and to add some weight to your buffer, and you're good to go.

I guess you could buy a whole new bolt carrier group, but why go to all that expense? It's not like you can quick change barrels on an AR

I didn't even add weight to my buffer and it works just fine.
    I'm using 110 grain Sierra match king BTHP's in front of H4198 and it cycles fine at the starting charge, but definately gets more accurite towards the upper end of the stated charges.
    Not saying your wrong by adding weight, but mine functions fine with a normal buffer.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    What can you guys tell me about the 6.8 SPC? If you had the opportunity to buy a 6.8 SPC DPMS barrel for $50 would you buy it? The barrel has maybe 20 rounds through it. Can this be put on a AR 15 upper and lower? Does it take a regular AR BCG? How accurate is this round and how far can it shoot?

what are the specs on the barrel and are there any more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom