• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I picked up a set of RCBS precision mic gauges, as suggested by a few people, and I started to measure a sample set of my fired brass for headspace. According to the gauge, I have a headspace of -0.001 when compared to the minimum ANSI standard. Is this bad/dangerous? Or something that I need to get fixed? Does this mean that I will never be able to resize cases to correctly fit my chamber? The cases were Remington Core-Lokt if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Chris

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tell us more. What exactly are you measuring ? And comparing to what ? Which cal/ gun ?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I picked up a set of RCBS precision mic gauges, as suggested by a few people, and I started to measure a sample set of my fired brass for headspace. According to the gauge, I have a headspace of -0.001 when compared to the minimum ANSI standard. Is this bad/dangerous? Or something that I need to get fixed? Does this mean that I will never be able to resize cases to correctly fit my chamber? The cases were Remington Core-Lokt if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Chris
    You're OK, the RCBS gauge reads in relative terms and not in absolutes. This means that the measurement you're getting is only a reference and not an actual reading of your case headspace length, so don't worry about the specific number.

Moe's, the original gauge in this design, does read in absolutes.

Use your first measurement of the fired case as "zero" shoulder length, then adjust your die to provide .002" reduction in shoulder length. This allows us to set the die to provide the minimum amount of sizing that will provide proper clearances reliable chambering.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have a .308 BLR. I like the gun okay, but sometimes I have to squeeze the lever tight to get the round to fully chamber. The ammo is factory, but ocasionally it is tight. That sounds like headspace to me and if I have to force it I could be generating higher pressures and this can lead to troubles, blown primers, etc... I have shot this gun quite a bit, okay accuracy, but one time I had the base of the brass blow at the extractor ring and blow gas back into my face. Luckily I was wearing safety glasses or I may have lost an eye.

Could this be a factory defect? Just wondering.

Vic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom