• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Maxim 9 is the only suppressed pistol that really works for serious usage. And even that's pretty marginal in certain ways (mostly due to the mediocre trigger).

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The Maxim 9 is the only suppressed pistol that really works for serious usage. And even that's pretty marginal in certain ways (mostly due to the mediocre trigger).

This is my new Night shooting setup. M16 with CMMG 9mm Radial Delay blowback, Mk9k and a Maxim 9. Both with IR lasers. I agree the Maxim 9 trigger is not great but I was shooting my Osprey on a P320 and the Maxim 9 and they were about equal with different tones. I like the Maxim 9 setup slightly more without ear protection. I am interested to see how it works at this years night shoots. Also, the Maxim 9 is superior to most pistols IF you want to use a red dot sight on it and have it suppressed. The back blast from the suppressor "fogs" (but really dirt) up the lens of the red dot fairly quickly. The Maxim 9 has that red dot in front of the chamber and its much better.

14514 (1).jpg

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Clear winner in my book is the OSS Suppressor line for rifles. Either 308 or 223. They are the clear winners at this time for any automatic gun. If you have a bolt gun/leverl/pump then maybe something else. However the function of OSS Suppressor is clearly superior to everything else. I sold my Omega after getting an OSS can. No regrets, would do it again in a second!

45 Cans I don't like much. I will not suppressor 45acp. I would say I hate pistol cans that are round and can unscrew! Nothing like checking every 3 rounds to see if your suppressor is unscrewing. I think an offset can is clearly superior. Something like an Osprey.

22 cans are all fairly good, no opinion from me there.

If I were to buy another rifle caliber can it would definitely be the OSS. Very impressive, and great on full auto! But I don't shoot rifle caliber suppressed much these days, so my other 5 rifle cans do the job when needed.

Last edited:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Hey everyone. Looking to get into the suppressor game. Could use some recommendations.

Blaster suggested a Rugged Obsidian for my 9mm which I'm going to go order today.

I'd also love recommendations for .22, .45, and .223.

Durability, reliability, and ease of service are much more important to me than price, appearance, etc. I want things that are bulletproof (no pun intended.)

Thanks everyone

I have an obsidian 45 and it’s great for 45 and 9 mm

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hey everyone. Looking to get into the suppressor game. Could use some recommendations.

Blaster suggested a Rugged Obsidian for my 9mm which I'm going to go order today.

I'd also love recommendations for .22, .45, and .223.

Durability, reliability, and ease of service are much more important to me than price, appearance, etc. I want things that are bulletproof (no pun intended.)

Thanks everyone

I have only one 30 cal can, the Rugged Radiant and, kind of like what MSP says for not disapproved, I do not disapprove the Radiant :)

I have one 22 aluminum can that is a fly weight, the CGS Hydra (less than half the weight of a Dead Air Mask). I shoot it on a M&P 22 Compact and there is a marked difference in volume. Not as dramatic on a semi-auto rifle, but stupid quiet on a bolt rimfire (not that they are loud in the first place). Having a 3 oz. can on a pistol is kind of nice; but matters not for a rifle and (has been mentioned time and time again) is more difficult to clean

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    If I were to buy another rifle caliber can it would definitely be the OSS. Very impressive, and great on full auto! But I don't shoot rifle caliber suppressed much these days, so my other 5 cans do the job when needed.

I agree, the rifle caliber cans are the least worth it. 22LR, yes. 9mm, most of the time. Any rifle caliber... barely worth it.

I had two reasons I sold my Omega and switched. First, every upper for my M16 can now be set up easy without the need to address the gas system. I can just do a normal setup and not have to figure out some stupid way to reduce gas pressure for suppressor use. Second, I can now use it on my M14 without again needing to do something crazy.

I don't think chasing every decibel of sound is worth it in anyway. Most of the time you can't even tell unless directly shot next to each other. Minimizing the negatives of the suppressor use is the most important thing to look at in my opinion.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, for me, I was a lot more interested in ease of use / holster fit (Maxim 9) and weight/size (Turbo K) after going through maybe 4-5 other cans. I don't regret getting the other cans, they have their uses, but you can tell who's running and gunning and who's not.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yeah, for me, I was a lot more interested in ease of use / holster fit (Maxim 9) and weight/size (Turbo K) after going through maybe 4-5 other cans. I don't regret getting the other cans, they have their uses, but you can tell who's running and gunning and who's not.
    Burning suppressor sized holes through sets of Crye pants gets expensive.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I agree, the rifle caliber cans are the least worth it. 22LR, yes. 9mm, most of the time. Any rifle caliber... barely worth it.

I had two reasons I sold my Omega and switched. First, every upper for my M16 can now be set up easy without the need to address the gas system. I can just do a normal setup and not have to figure out some stupid way to reduce gas pressure for suppressor use. Second, I can now use it on my M14 without again needing to do something crazy.

I don't think chasing every decibel of sound is worth it in anyway. Most of the time you can't even tell unless directly shot next to each other. Minimizing the negatives of the suppressor use is the most important thing to look at in my opinion.

I have an extra key mo Mount in 5/8x24 that I don’t have a home for, save for my m1a.

When I get my sandman -s out of jail, I may consider adding it on to try it. How well do suppressors run on the m1a/m14 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom