• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Gonna hang my stand tomorrow. Then go to a pool party. May sit in the evening but I’m sure momma will pick up a shift without telling me and i won’t be able to anything. It’s a new spot so i gotta cut my lanes and range find my distance markers.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Gonna hang my stand tomorrow. Then go to a pool party. May sit in the evening but I’m sure momma will pick up a shift without telling me and i won’t be able to anything. It’s a new spot so i gotta cut my lanes and range find my distance markers.

I just wait til I see a deer heading my way. I figure out where it's headed, pick a hole, range it, then wait. I do almost no trimming. I guess it depends on your situation though.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

You forgot abour Mr. Lahey.

It may keep an eye on you, just say'in...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I just wait til I see a deer heading my way. I figure out where it's headed, pick a hole, range it, then wait. I do almost no trimming. I guess it depends on your situation though.

I’m gonna toss this one on a steep hill leading down a ravine. The hill is covered in sticker bushes so i gotta cut my entrance through their path but also my exit. Basically gonna cut coral paths for them. I won’t be hunting in this spot 15 years from now lol it’s a rough spot to get into.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice! But pics or it doesn't count!

Turned out being above the deer with it quartering towards me I aimed too far back and low. Chance it jumped some on the bow string, but the bolt hit within a couple inches of where I remember aiming. Which was too low and far back. Ended up having to get permission from three neighbors. Tracked it through DENSE bamboo forest. Like I can see 3-5ft away type thick, new growth bamboo. I found some blood splatters and puddles where it looked it had laid down a few times and then kept going. Finally after almost 2 hours of searching I almost ran over it. It has crossed the wet creek and was up on an narrow oxbow maybe 4ft higher than where I was standing. I had left my crossbow 50yds back because things were so damned thick and I just assumed at this point it was FINALLY DEAD. At least I hadn’t left it at home while tracking it.

It took me 5 minutes to find my damn crossbow. Next note, don’t lay it down flat in F-ing new growth bamboo. It wasn’t too hard to find, I was just on the other side of head height thick stuff.

Anyway, worked my way back, crossed on a big fallen tree and snuck up behind it. When I got about 12yds away it struggle up and staggered down the creek bank. Got a clean shot as it stumbled in the other side of the creek and put one through both lungs. Dropped and expired soon after. Ended up having to drag it 200yds to where I could field dress it (I wasn’t going to leave a gut pile at the back of the neighbors’ property I got permission just today to track the deer) and then another 400yds home. Hard as hell getting it back through the bamboo.

First arrow went through the meat by the elbow, ribs on both sides, nicked the rumen, sliced up a lobe of the liver and nicked a lung. Half an inch and it would have been a better hit. An inch and it would have been quickly fatal. Oh well. Live and learn. I feel pretty shitty about it. But at least it had a happy, if exhausting ending. Hopefully the lesson sticks next time. First time in 5 (6?) years of hunting I’ve had a bad hit. I’ve had a few clean misses.

Stream pic is the facing side for the first shot. Other pic is the facing side from the first hit. You can see the hit low, right through the back of the leg and then through the ribs.

Attachments

• 1048C9A1-3511-4EEB-A725-993422C005A8.jpg
      1048C9A1-3511-4EEB-A725-993422C005A8.jpg
      189.9 KB · Views: 244
    • 96FB2D93-A757-4482-94FF-7C99E8026435.jpg
      96FB2D93-A757-4482-94FF-7C99E8026435.jpg
      170 KB · Views: 236

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Good job and great effort tracking it and not giving up. Never put your bow/gun down until you found the animal and confirmed dead.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’m gonna toss this one on a steep hill leading down a ravine. The hill is covered in sticker bushes so i gotta cut my entrance through their path but also my exit. Basically gonna cut coral paths for them. I won’t be hunting in this spot 15 years from now lol it’s a rough spot to get into.

Steep hillsides as well a ravines are VERY tough spots to hunt, scent wise. Thermals are a bitch. I won't hunt them. I will either be at the very top(where thermals don't have much effect), or at the very bottom for that same reason. But, if the bottom is itself a ravine, it will be subject to the same influences, but more right to left(or left to right) instead of up and down.

Are he deer moving up and down, or along the edges? (more rhetorical than a direct question).

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Second what Biggie313 said. We've all had (or will have) those shots at some point. Stuff happens. My first buck last year made it 300+ yards on a double boilermaker shot. Nothing is really predictable on the backside of taking the shot.. Tracking and retrieval are key in every case. Congrats on meat in the freezer!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Turned out being above the deer with it quartering towards me I aimed too far back and low. Chance it jumped some on the bow string, but the bolt hit within a couple inches of where I remember aiming. Which was too low and far back. Ended up having to get permission from three neighbors. Tracked it through DENSE bamboo forest. Like I can see 3-5ft away type thick, new growth bamboo. I found some blood splatters and puddles where it looked it had laid down a few times and then kept going. Finally after almost 2 hours of searching I almost ran over it. It has crossed the wet creek and was up on an narrow oxbow maybe 4ft higher than where I was standing. I had left my crossbow 50yds back because things were so damned thick and I just assumed at this point it was FINALLY DEAD. At least I hadn’t left it at home while tracking it.

It took me 5 minutes to find my damn crossbow. Next note, don’t lay it down flat in F-ing new growth bamboo. It wasn’t too hard to find, I was just on the other side of head height thick stuff.

Anyway, worked my way back, crossed on a big fallen tree and snuck up behind it. When I got about 12yds away it struggle up and staggered down the creek bank. Got a clean shot as it stumbled in the other side of the creek and put one through both lungs. Dropped and expired soon after. Ended up having to drag it 200yds to where I could field dress it (I wasn’t going to leave a gut pile at the back of the neighbors’ property I got permission just today to track the deer) and then another 400yds home. Hard as hell getting it back through the bamboo.

First arrow went through the meat by the elbow, ribs on both sides, nicked the rumen, sliced up a lobe of the liver and nicked a lung. Half an inch and it would have been a better hit. An inch and it would have been quickly fatal. Oh well. Live and learn. I feel pretty shitty about it. But at least it had a happy, if exhausting ending. Hopefully the lesson sticks next time. First time in 5 (6?) years of hunting I’ve had a bad hit. I’ve had a few clean misses.

Stream pic is the facing side for the first shot. Other pic is the facing side from the first hit. You can see the hit low, right through the back of the leg and then through the ribs.
    Congrats on a successful hunt lazarus. You earned this one. :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good job and great effort tracking it and not giving up. Never put your bow/gun down until you found the animal and confirmed dead.

Thanks. At a couple points I just wanted to give up. Especially near the end where I thought I’d searched every inch of the bamboo and was looking at the more open woods and saw nothing. Second pass looking at the open woods and that’s when I saw her sitting there, maybe 20yds away. I looked a couple times and there was no blood trail anywhere near her final bedding spot.

Also lesson for sure learned about keeping my weapon with me. Whether I’d basically given up find the deer or not.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Second what Biggie313 said. We've all had (or will have) those shots at some point. Stuff happens. My first buck last year made it 300+ yards on a double boilermaker shot. Nothing is really predictable on the backside of taking the shot.. Tracking and retrieval are key in every case. Congrats on meat in the freezer!

Oh wow. This one is by far the furthest I’ve ever had a deer go. Longest search also. Second worst was a heart shot buck that went about 80-100yds before dropping. When it went out of sight, it turned. Took me 90 minutes and near darkness before I found it. Second longest run was a different deeraround 200yds before it dropped. Double lunged doe, crossbow.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016

:beer:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Half mile drag 1/3 down hill 2/3 up hill but I’m up and running!

Gotta throw up the buddy stand later.

83 degrees SUCKED!

Attachments

• 548FE64F-0746-4812-9CAD-58787FFA7366.jpg
      548FE64F-0746-4812-9CAD-58787FFA7366.jpg
      159.7 KB · Views: 354

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This is actually from last season but we JUST GOT my son's 10pt mount back from the shop last week.

Attachments

• 20210830_174444.jpg
      20210830_174444.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 348

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Oh man some dude just moved to my neighborhood and wants to get into bow hunting. Posted on nextdoor. I invited him over. The more the merrier. The karens from far and wide wasted no time. Will deserve it’s own thread. Have to edit/redact to protect the innocent. One idiot that is freaking out just found out there is a crop damage blind in a farm field 250 yards from her house. Same crowd that complains about the smoke from people’s chimneys in the winter.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Had to go put down the mineral lick so i sat down for a few hours this morning. Walking in i saw a ton. Saw 4 around 830 walking in the creek. To far to shoot and way to much vegetation this early. All in all glad i got out. Gonna put together a buddy stand today and toss it out tomorrow.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    2nd stand got dragged out today. Didn’t have time to put it up but it’s a 1/2 mile drag mostly downhill and daughter has a half day. Brought the mini man out with me and drug him cuz i felt like going solo wasn’t enough work lol

Attachments

• 9A56E5A8-B819-4657-8D45-317DD9CE6D63.jpg
      9A56E5A8-B819-4657-8D45-317DD9CE6D63.jpg
      189.5 KB · Views: 185

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads