New law to make it illegal to ride dirtbikes on your property without permission.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah it's just always wrong to single out a specific item/class/product, etc. if noise is really the issue then make the law about noise, irrespective of the source.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Agreed. But, the existing noise laws are too hard to change or enforce. This is way easier and the writer of this bill says as much.

Attachments

• 121039265_10220791406752869_1450384525290845497_o.jpg
      121039265_10220791406752869_1450384525290845497_o.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 295

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It is an interesting double sided debate. My goal is to move far enough outside civilization that I don't hear or see my neighbors. I don't want to see their porch lights, I don't want to hear anything they do. Conversely, many people move out to the same areas so they can be loud, presumably legally. Someone mentioned how this abridges the bike owner's freedom (I guess pursuit of happiness?) but it discounts the owner's freedom to have peace and quiet. Both people can not have their freedom simultaneously.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    It is an interesting double sided debate. My goal is to move far enough outside civilization that I don't hear or see my neighbors. I don't want to see their porch lights, I don't want to hear anything they do. Conversely, many people move out to the same areas so they can be loud, presumably legally. Someone mentioned how this abridges the bike owner's freedom (I guess pursuit of happiness?) but it discounts the owner's freedom to have peace and quiet. Both people can not have their freedom simultaneously.

Agreed. That is the conundrum. However, as a guy that never fires up the mower or chainsaw before 9am or when I know my neighbors are doing something, I find the attitude that someone else should have control over the use of my property offensive. If I did not want to hear any noise, I would strive to own enough land to do so. Not impose my will on others.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    How about a law on the airport noise? Anyone live in Linthicum, Ferndale, Hanover can tell you about the planes making their houses rattle or waking up in the middle of the night. God forbid about eating lunch on their porch. Freaking joke, people want to know why I vote republican, this is why. This law was written for a specific person over a specific event. Nothing more, so screw everyone else who didn't have a problem.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The AACOPD can't effectively control the illegal operation of unregistered "dirt" bikes on the street 30 feet in front of our house. Even after being provided pictures of the violations and the address of the violators (not too smart to go home when someone is obviously following you). Not to mention the destruction of school property by same violators. Good luck enforcing this Bovine Excretment!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The AACOPD can't effectively control the illegal operation of unregistered "dirt" bikes on the street 30 feet in front of our house. Even after being provided pictures of the violations and the address of the violators (not too smart to go home when someone is obviously following you). Not to mention the destruction of school property by same violators. Good luck enforcing this Bovine Excretment!!

Just like gun laws, this will be easier to enforce on normal people than it is on criminals.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    How about a law on the airport noise? Anyone live in Linthicum, Ferndale, Hanover can tell you about the planes making their houses rattle or waking up in the middle of the night. God forbid about eating lunch on their porch. Freaking joke, people want to know why I vote republican, this is why. This law was written for a specific person over a specific event. Nothing more, so screw everyone else who didn't have a problem.

The full power climb noise overhead is awful. But we've adjusted to it. A couple of days ago the air traffic departing BWI really picked up. I literally counted 12+ planes roaring overhead in a 10 minute window. :sad20:

What really irks me is the ricers running up and down the street, feathering their throttles and making excessive exhaust noises from the cans on their cars. However they move too quickly for me, I can't get a shopping cart zip tied to their doors as they zoom by...

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD

Not smart? Sounds like they don't care. Why should they? You're more likely to get cited for harassment by following them than they are for illegal operation of a motor vehicle.

If common courtesy ruled, there'd be no need for laws like this. My son rides his dirt bike all the time on our property. Never too early, never too late and I would certainly respect a request not do do so at a specific time. We (the neighbors) also text each other when we're going to shoot on our property (it goes both ways). No issues and we're all friendly. I thought this was 'Merica...

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm against this bill!
    That said, there is a group of 4 - 5 bikes that ride in an area I frequent, they rev their motors and ride wheelies for maybe a 10 mile stretch ! This has occurred since the weather turned warm this year. driving down one street they ride past me and literally harass the bicyclers pretty bad! These are the bad apples, no concern for the children riding ponies in their fields .. they just show off more. I know people familiar with them, they say the bikes are more than likely stolen, they know where they live, their parents are upstanding people but just don't know what goes on. One day I could hear them riding with sirens following them, then I hear a loudspeaker, "We will catch you!" etc. etc. sirens stop and kids ride by my location .... I guarantee I will see them today , endless wheelies lol, wtf. Yeah, bad apple = laws for all.

As I think of it 9 (nine) neighbors surrounding my shop ride some form of atv down the streets. I need a link I can post to FB please. I've been so busy I could literally cut my small yard as hay at this point :)

Full Disclosure: I ride too, conservatively, I plow driveways and streets in my neighborhood but now will tell neighbors tough shit, shouldn't have voted "D", as my driveway dries in the warm winter sun.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I'm against this bill!
    That said, there is a group of 4 - 5 bikes that ride in an area I frequent, they rev their motors and ride wheelies for maybe a 10 mile stretch ! This has occurred since the weather turned warm this year. driving down one street they ride past me and literally harass the bicyclers pretty bad! These are the bad apples, no concern for the children riding ponies in their fields .. they just show off more. I know people familiar with them, they say the bikes are more than likely stolen, they know where they live, their parents are upstanding people but just don't know what goes on. One day I could hear them riding with sirens following them, then I hear a loudspeaker, "We will catch you!" etc. etc. sirens stop and kids ride by my location .... I guarantee I will see them today , endless wheelies lol, wtf. Yeah, bad apple = laws for all.

As I think of it 9 (nine) neighbors surrounding my shop ride some form of atv down the streets. I need a link I can post to FB please. I've been so busy I could literally cut my small yard as hay at this point :)

Full Disclosure: I ride too, conservatively, I plow driveways and streets in my neighborhood but now will tell neighbors tough shit, shouldn't have voted "D", as my driveway dries in the warm winter sun.

These appear to be working links.

https://www.aacounty.org/departments...ons/62-203.pdf
    County Executive Stuart Pitman:
    https://www.aacounty.org/departments...-us/index.html
    Sponsor from District 4:
    https://www.aacounty.org/departments...ers/district-4
    District 7 representative:
    https://www.aacounty.org/departments...ers/district-7
    Bill No. 62-20 regulates the use of “off-the road motorcycles.” State law defines the term
    to mean “motorcycles designed for off-the-road operation, motorcycles not otherwise eligible for
    registration under this article, and motorcycles commonly referred to as ‘dirt bikes’”. State law
    allows local regulation of off-the-road motorcycles.
    Bill No. 62-20 prohibits a person from operating an off-the-road motorcycle within 300
    feet of a dwelling without written permission from a resident of the dwelling. For the first three
    times that a person violates this prohibition, the person is subject to a fine of $75.00. Thereafter,
    the person is guilty of a misdemeanor and, if convicted, is subject to a fine that does not exceed
    $250.00.
    https://www.aacounty.org/departments...ons/62-203.pdf

Onwrd Farm

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Carroll County
    This is another slide into the Baltimore County mindset. Folks want to live out in the rural areas so they can get away from urban problems, but they want to bring their urban restrictions with them. It's Karen on steroids.

100% This right here. We live in Carroll county. We are getting that here as well. Our community page is always filled with the "did anyone here those gunshots" and "why does farm equipment have to drive on the road" posts.

We moved here almost 10 years ago to get away from the urban areas. We love the freedom we get from living out here.

Feb 28, 2013
    100% This right here. We live in Carroll county. We are getting that here as well. Our community page is always filled with the "did anyone here those gunshots" and "why does farm equipment have to drive on the road" posts.

We moved here almost 10 years ago to get away from the urban areas. We love the freedom we get from living out here.
    Youre watchin Carroll goin the way of Harford

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Local government...when you spent all that time and effort to buy property without an HOA.

If you can't do what you want on it, and you have to pay annual rent to the government for it, Do you really own it?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

You mean "you loved."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom