• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Many 2A attys agree that this indicates the placement of the 2A above the level(s) of scrutiny applied to the freedom to speak, associate, worship, travel, vote, etc. Ask around.

Can you provide a citation for this one? I'd be very interested (genuinely -- no sarcasm).

Many 2A attorneys believe strict scrutiny is the appropriate level. SCOTUS applies all three levels to the first amendment depending on the particulars. For example, political speech is usually strict scrutiny, content neutral speech gets intermediate, an some speech is not protected. Since you say that they are above these levels, what level is above strict scrutiny?

If you want a citation, just look at just about any 2A brief. For example the NYSPRA vs NYC cert petition used the term rational basis three times as examples of what the court did, but did not explain why it was rational basis rather than intermediate scrutiny.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...332608_NYSRPA cert petition 9-04-18 FINAL.pdf

The merit brief used it once as part of quote from Heller, yet mentions nothing as to why that is the case.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...SRPA v. NYC - Brief for Petitioners FINAL.pdf

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    What really needs to be challenged is that an American citizen can commit a felony and face incarceration for merely stepping over a political boundary. A legally armed WV resident can cross the the center of the bridge in Harpers Ferry and become a felon. That is wrong.

Uh huhh. If I stand in the street in front of the White House with a gun in my pocket, no problem. If I stand in the street in front of my own house, I'm a criminal (jaywalking notwithstanding). WTF?

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    The correct answer is that you do not need stats because the answers are legal answers which the court is well suited to answer. The lawyers give the case away because they agree that public safety is an important government interest even though they do not protect individual citizens. The stats that the government provides to demonstrate guns harm public safety are examples of harm to individual citizens and are not part of the government interest.

I don't believe anything with stats is where we should go. I don't really care if owning a firearm results in higher crime rates. It is a right. Secondly, statistics can me manipulated.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    Durn tooting this case is similar to Woolard , what's different is Wren happened inbetween.

Exactly. Since Woollard and Wrenn (et al.), plenty of other may/shall issue cases (e.g. Gould, Rogers, Malpasso, Young, Pena, etc) have progressed at the federal level. Addressing the issue at the State level is still cool in my book. The will to fight.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I don't believe anything with stats is where we should go. I don't really care if owning a firearm results in higher crime rates. It is a right. Secondly, statistics can me manipulated.

You don't need stats. I don't know how many times I need to say you don't need stats. You don't need stats.

If owning a firearm results in higher crime rates, then you are part of the problem. The only way owning firearms results in higher crime rates is if you are a criminal. Law abiding citizens do not result in higher crime rates by definition. They abide by the law and no crime is committed.

The government will bring stats to prove their case, but it really depends on how you address them. I you counter them, like most 2A cases, you are going to lose because the court will defer to the legislature. You need to explain why the government misused the data.

ps You don't need stats.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Well, oral argument was conducted today in the Maryland Court of Special Appeals. Should be interesting.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Anyone can request an audio recording from the court. The cost is $10.

I understand the clerk will rip a cd while you wait.

Someone in Annapolis please hook us up.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Anyone can request an audio recording from the court. The cost is $10.

I understand the clerk will rip a cd while you wait.

Someone in Annapolis please hook us up.

Rip a what? I don’t have a cd drive in my house!!!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The skills base represented in MDS is huge. I'm sure there's someone here who can get it pressed into an LP for you. Or do you want it on 8-Track? :lol2:

I actually do have a turn table.....

All my CDs are in the attic, as we are 100% digital/streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom