• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I fish out of Mattawoman frequently. Usually have a free back seat if anyone's interested.

I used to fish there a lot years ago, before the snakeheads arrived . The ride down and back was a killer for me (90-120 minutes each way). Caught plenty of Large mouth. I fish Liberty now. Just as good of fishery and only a 20 minute ride to the ramp.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I used to fish there a lot years ago, before the snakeheads arrived . The ride down and back was a killer for me (90-120 minutes each way). Caught plenty of Large mouth. I fish Liberty now. Just as good of fishery and only a 20 minute ride to the ramp.

Usually the trip is worth it. There are some nice size fish and lots of them. Those snake heads can be a pain but damn do they fight like hell. Good eating so I'm told.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, posting just for the updates. Everything sounded good to me. Just need to figure out when I can carve some time out to go fishing.

Think the biggest goal for me this spring/summer will be getting my son on a boat to see if he gets sea sick. I want to buy a boat, but no sense buying a boat if I have to leave him at home. Granted, I guess there is medication for that. Anyway, I'll be looking for a chance to take my son out on a boat with some calmer water to see if he can handle that for starters.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    How upper is upper?
    Washington and Frederick counties. I do travel to the lower Potomac with buddies and the bay, sometimes.

I see a paddling adventure in our future, your place or mine.
    PM, exchange phone numbers and we can make anything happen.

I fish out of Mattawoman frequently. Usually have a free back seat if anyone's interested.
    Love fishing there bu the Snakeheads seem really targeted there and not what they used to be.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Everything sounds good! I'd like to propose a short road trip to the Susquehanna for some Shad fishing on the fly and/or light tackle in the next few months. Could head up early and fish Deer Creek for a few hours and then grab breakfast/lunch on the way out. Anyone interested?

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    Out of curiosity, can you eat fish caught out of the Potomac? I used to fish there with a friend and eat everything that was of a decent size. But I very recently saw a fishing video with a bunch of dead fish periodically floating by and in the comments section someone said the Potomac was full of bacteria now and probably not safe to eat fish out of. That would be a shame, it was a great fishery.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Out of curiosity, can you eat fish caught out of the Potomac? I used to fish there with a friend and eat everything that was of a decent size. But I very recently saw a fishing video with a bunch of dead fish periodically floating by and in the comments section someone said the Potomac was full of bacteria now and probably not safe to eat fish out of. That would be a shame, it was a great fishery.

yes and no

http://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Marylander/fishandshellfish/Pages/fishconsumptionadvisory.aspx

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I fish around Seneca and places north up towards about Harpers Ferry on the Potomac, kayak and a small boat. Sometimes around Fletcher's in DC on the Potomac, during the spring the action can be good there.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv

I wouldn't eat anything from the lower Potomac. Above great falls is probably fine. We eat walleye and catfish from the upper Potomac in the Washington county area.

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    I'd be interested in some shore fishing... pier, river, lake, pond...

Depending on the day and target, another bay charter would be fun.

I believe you, I ,and others on the forum were on the Teaser Sportfishing charter last year.
    I'm in for on another charter with Captain Chris.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I would be down to Meetup with some on the Potomac anywhere from Hankok to whites ferry. Got some extra room in the boat for anybody that doesn't have one too.

Steve, is that Smallie world? I've never fished it up there, just the lower below DC for the LM. I'd be happy to share trips with you sometime.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon

What you running? I have a 2000 Javelin Renegade 20 w/2008 200HO Erude

Usually the trip is worth it. There are some nice size fish and lots of them. Those snake heads can be a pain but damn do they fight like hell. Good eating so I'm told.
    They are very good eating and a fish fry from the lower end once in a while won't hurt a thing.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Yes, Mr H, Blaster 229, plumberone, Wayne, and I believe Terp91.

We were just talking about our trip last year over dinner the other night. I said I'd contact you for a date this year. PM inbound :thumbsup:

Pictures from last year. Highly recommend Capt. Chris :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Fish 1a.jpg
      Fish 1a.jpg
      108.1 KB · Views: 114
    • fish 2b.jpg
      fish 2b.jpg
      79.7 KB · Views: 114

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Steve, is that Smallie world? I've never fished it up there, just the lower below DC for the LM. I'd be happy to share trips with you sometime.

It is smallie world. Also has some nice walleye, muskeye, and catfish both channel and flathead. Certain sections also have a decent amount of largemouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom