• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I just got a Beretta AL391 from gunbroker. In the case are 4 of the Mobilchoke tubes that screw in flush with the barrel and a Mobilchoke manufacturers card. In the barrel is an extended choke tube that says Optima-choke-plus. The barrel doesn't have any markings that seem to designate it as one or the other. I don't have any experience with these chokes, but always read that the Mobilchoke and Optima chokes were not interchangeable. Am I missing something here? If the choke threads in, is it ok to use it?

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    Does this help:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73495

I have an al391 urika 2, it uses the optim plus.

Look at the chokes and pay particular attention to the threads and their location on the choke tube. check if you can, how far down your barrel the threads are located.

All of the chokes in the article are flush fitting chokes

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Does this help:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73495

I have an al391 urika 2, it uses the optim plus.

Look at the chokes and pay particular attention to the threads and their location on the choke tube. check if you can, how far down your barrel the threads are located.

All of the chokes in the article are flush fitting chokes

I'm reasonably sure that I have both types of chokes in the case. They both thread into the barrel and the threads look similar. The threads start at the very top of the barrel if that matters. Here's a picture of the optima plus and one of the mobilchokes.

20161026_220026_zpscmlbzj25.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    They are both the same choke tube. Whether they are both Optima or the one engraved Optima Plus is engraved incorrectly is the question. I am attaching a pic of two chokes tubes. One is a Briley Mod Mobilchoke that I use in my 1994 Beretta 682 Super Trap, my 1996 Beretta 686 Onyx, and my 1997 Benelli SBE. The other, which is longer, is an Optima IC extended choke that I use in my 2002 Beretta 391 Teknys, 2002 Beretta 682 Gold, and a couple other newer shotguns.

The Optima measures 2.6" from the bottom of the choke to the top of the threads. Mobilchoke is 2.0" from the bottom of the choke to the top of the threads. If you have calipers with a slide on the end, you can measure how far down the barrel until you hit the lip that the choke tube rests on.

Attachments

• MdShooters124.jpg
      MdShooters124.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 3,356

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Alright, the difference between the Mobilchoke and the Optima Plus choke is the diameter of the bore. Mobilchokes have the tightest bore size, followed by Optima Plus, followed by Optima. The Optima choke tube is mainly used on competition guns. The Optima Plus is currently used on hunting guns. The Mobilchoke is not used in 12 gauge guns anymore. I find it hard to believe that the Optima Choke Plus will have the same threads and the same length as the Mobilchoke.

You need to do as the others have suggested, and check to see what tubes the gun takes.

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/documents/beretta-choke-tubes-identification-suggestions/

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Thanks for all of the responses.

We've confirmed to definitely not use different chokes in the same barrel. The serial number lookup says that the shotgun has a 2002 date of manufacture and is supposed to be a mobilchoke barrel. That, combined with the 4 mobilchokes and the mobilchoke info card in the case, seems like pretty convincing evidence that it is a mobilchoke system. I can't measure the lip in the barrel until I get home tonight, but I'll check that too.

One more wrinkle: Is the serial number on the barrel supposed to match the one on the receiver? I can't remember what the barrel serial number is, but I know it isn't the same as the one on the receiver. Maybe the previous owner changed barrels?

Assuming it is definitely mobilchoke, that leaves the random optima-plus choke. The choke descriptions sound like a true optima-plus choke should have threads that engage below the top of the barrel, so that makes me think that this was an engraving mistake. However, I'd be really upset if I screw up my new gun, so absent a definitive ID the choke, I'm leaning towards playing it safe and just leaving that choke alone.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks for all of the responses.

We've confirmed to definitely not use different chokes in the same barrel. The serial number lookup says that the shotgun has a 2002 date of manufacture and is supposed to be a mobilchoke barrel. That, combined with the 4 mobilchokes and the mobilchoke info card in the case, seems like pretty convincing evidence that it is a mobilchoke system. I can't measure the lip in the barrel until I get home tonight, but I'll check that too.

One more wrinkle: Is the serial number on the barrel supposed to match the one on the receiver? I can't remember what the barrel serial number is, but I know it isn't the same as the one on the receiver. Maybe the previous owner changed barrels?

Assuming it is definitely mobilchoke, that leaves the random optima-plus choke. The choke descriptions sound like a true optima-plus choke should have threads that engage below the top of the barrel, so that makes me think that this was an engraving mistake. However, I'd be really upset if I screw up my new gun, so absent a definitive ID the choke, I'm leaning towards playing it safe and just leaving that choke alone.

The Optima Plus and Mobilchoke appear to be the same thread and length. Only difference is the wall thickness.

DO NOT use the Optima Plus choke in your firearm if it is made for Mobilchokes. It is not an engraving error.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Found this tidbit on Berettas site
    The Optima barrels can be identified by locating the letters “OB” stamped next to the barrel gauge stamp. Barrels marked with the "OB" stamp will use the Optima-Choke system.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    The Optima Plus and Mobilchoke appear to be the same thread and length. Only difference is the wall thickness.

DO NOT use the Optima Plus choke in your firearm if it is made for Mobilchokes. It is not an engraving error.

The more I read, I think you're right. One of the pictures looked like the Optima-plus was supposed to engage threads below the crown of the muzzle, but other pictures look like the two choke types have the same thread configuration.

I'm definitely not going to use the Optima-choke, so now the only question is: if the previous owner was using the wrong choke, are there any signs of damage that I should look for? I don't see any obvious distortion, discoloring, or other damage on the barrel, but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The more I read, I think you're right. One of the pictures looked like the Optima-plus was supposed to engage threads below the crown of the muzzle, but other pictures look like the two choke types have the same thread configuration.

I'm definitely not going to use the Optima-choke, so now the only question is: if the previous owner was using the wrong choke, are there any signs of damage that I should look for? I don't see any obvious distortion, discoloring, or other damage on the barrel, but I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for.

The thing I would be looking for is a bulge in the barrel right where the choke tube meets the inside of the barrel. Using the thicker walled choke tube would add additional pressure/stress to the barrel that could cause a bulge in the barrel. Run your fingers up and down the first 5 or 6 inches of the muzzle end of the barrel and see if you can feel any deviation along the way.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    The thing I would be looking for is a bulge in the barrel right where the choke tube meets the inside of the barrel. Using the thicker walled choke tube would add additional pressure/stress to the barrel that could cause a bulge in the barrel. Run your fingers up and down the first 5 or 6 inches of the muzzle end of the barrel and see if you can feel any deviation along the way.

That's what I was thinking. I don't feel any bulges, and I even ran my caliper along the barrel to make sure there weren't any, so I think I'm good to go. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom