• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psusra112

Jun 8, 2011
    lol
    IIRC, the Gov can choose not to fund a particular action??

False. The state reps can choose to not fund an action via a legislative act. Gov can't de-obligate funds that have already been allocated for the AG's budget.

In other words, we need to get Frosh out of office.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So what's the next step?
    Is Frosh able to appeal the current ruling to the Supreme Court, or must he want for the District to implement this ruling?

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    So what's the next step?
    Is Frosh able to appeal the current ruling to the Supreme Court, or must he want for the District to implement this ruling?

He can appeal to SCOTUS, but he won't. He'll request a rehearing in front of a larger panel of Judges at the 4th Circuit. If he loses again, he'll allow the case to be remanded before bringing it all the way up to SCOTUS. The case simply isn't ready to be heard by SCOTUS at this point. USDC needs to apply the new scrutiny first.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I think this is the gun control case Justice Roberts has been keeping his powder dry for.

I see a YUGE win if it goes to SCOTUS.

The present SCOTUS has not issued very good conservative/Constitutional rulings of late. The next SCOTUS???? Who knows??!!

Please vote in the next election. No one is perfect. Even if your presidential pick does not make it, please vote ( conservative ) anyway!!!! Don't stay home.
    We MUST win the next election. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The country is swirling the bowl......rapidly!!

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Question : is it up to Frosh if the state moves forward or can Hogan place Frosh on a leash on this. Could be a ace up the sleeve for Hogan to get bills passed that he wants.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    It's up to Frosh. In this silly state, the Governor doesn't have a say in what the AG does.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Question : is it up to Frosh if the state moves forward or can Hogan place Frosh on a leash on this. Could be a ace up the sleeve for Hogan to get bills passed that he wants.

In Maryland the AG is independently elected and operates independently from the Governor.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    He can appeal to SCOTUS, but he won't. He'll request a rehearing in front of a larger panel of Judges at the 4th Circuit. If he loses again, he'll allow the case to be remanded before bringing it all the way up to SCOTUS. The case simply isn't ready to be heard by SCOTUS at this point. USDC needs to apply the new scrutiny first.

IANAL but I'm curious if this may be the case that SCOTUS IS looking for because as it stands now, even if they agree with the opinion, they wouldn't be overturning the law, simply ruling on scrutiny which is something the lower courts are always struggling with. It's an opportunity to steer the lower courts in the proper direction w/o having to take responsibility (directly) for evil rifles causing blood in the streets.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    IANAL but I'm curious if this may be the case that SCOTUS IS looking for because as it stands now, even if they agree with the opinion, they wouldn't be overturning the law, simply ruling on scrutiny which is something the lower courts are always struggling with. It's an opportunity to steer the lower courts in the proper direction w/o having to take responsibility (directly) for evil rifles causing blood in the streets.

I understand that logic, but that's not how these things work. Once the USDC has applied both intermediate and strict scrutiny to the case then it will go up.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I am afraid it might depend on who the next potus is that gets to appoint a couple new scotus judges.

After reading Chief Judge Traxler's bio I wonder if he might be on the short list of potential judges if a conservative gets elected President? He might be all right with the Senate Democrats because of the Clinton connection.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    After reading Chief Judge Traxler's bio I wonder if he might be on the short list of potential judges if a conservative gets elected President? He might be all right with the Senate Democrats because of the Clinton connection.

I think he was originally nominated to the Federal bench by Bush 41 and elevated to CA4 by Clinton.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    SCOTUS is coming. No doubt about it. Timing is the issue. Also, he's a politician. He is pandering to his base voters.

The case can go forward though regarding the panel's findings (strict scrutiny), not the underlying law since the court didn't strike it down.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I understand that logic, but that's not how these things work. Once the USDC has applied both intermediate and strict scrutiny to the case then it will go up.

Why? I don't see why a writ can't be filed and granted with SCOTUS based on this opinion.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    that's great I wonder what kcbrown will have to say about this

• Firstly: woohoo! :D
    • Secondly: It's about damned time a Democrat appointee at the appellate level had the integrity to side with the right for a change.
    • Thirdly: it means we can no longer count on the Democrat appointees to side against the right (a very good thing), which at least introduces some uncertainty into future predictions.
    • Fourthly: I think we can expect the case to be reversed en banc, but that'll depend greatly on how many Democrat appointees like Traxler there are on the 4th Circuit, versus ones like King (all but explicitly proclaiming that the court would bear responsibility for the next mass shooting? Really?). I haven't yet figured out a good way to determine that, at least without extensive research.

And finally: woohoo!! :D

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Heller II did not go en banc. That appeal actually enjoined 4 laws. I'd be surprised if this gets overturned en banc

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Why? I don't see why a writ can't be filed and granted with SCOTUS based on this opinion.

You're not wrong. It could be. Why do it now only to have it remanded at that level? What if USDC applies strict scrutiny and decides the law still stands? SCOTUS won't want to hear it yet. Better to go back down and all the way back up for Frosh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom