• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Went out yesterday but it was starting to sprinkle. I sat on the little berm or hill and watched a kind of big gully. I could barely make out a nice doe about a half mile away and it spotted me. I was sitting at the foot of a tree with the camo on. The doe walked the other way. I need to take my binocs with me every time.

A doe smelled me from behind and came running alongside the hill screaming a warning to all other deer. I started to get up at dark and two does were behind the berm and took off. I didn't see the buck that trip. I'm taking my ground blind and Ozonics with me next trip and try to get one of those does or I should say try to help my nephew get one of them. Rifle season started today but I'm waiting for the rut to start.

A bunch of out of state hunters are on the Rez now. I talked to one of them and he said his group was from Michigan. There were three deer hanging in the camp. One was a small 8 pointer. His head was cut off and the body hanging in a game bag. One was hanging and wrapped in a garbage bag. At least the top half was in the bag. Flies were all over the meat and it was pretty warm and sunny today. I can't imagine that the meat will be any good.

some people claim that's "aged" For me anything above 40 degrees isn't necessarily healthy...

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Hunted a big clearing from a high spot along the side in tall grass next to a tree. Saw a nice doe before dusk but couldn't get a good shot off. Saw two small does at dusk but couldn't get a shot of then either.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Hunted a big clearing from a high spot along the side in tall grass next to a tree. Saw a nice doe before dusk but couldn't get a good shot off. Saw two small does at dusk but couldn't get a shot of then either.

This is the best time to let those does walk and hope a buck is following

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Although this is a bow hunting thread I should admit that I am mostly hunting with rifles right now since it's the rifle season where I hunt.

The farmers (or corporate farming operations) are harvesting crops now and I think they spooked the deer in the area I was hunting. I'll have to try another area away from the harvesting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nothing better than to be in the woods when the crops are being cut. I miss that.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    It's a big area so it's not a big problem.

On a personal note- Monday my car got hit by a car coming down a side street. Both cars were totaled but neither I or the woman driver in the other car were seriously hurt. The seat belt kinda hurt my chest but I'm OK.

The other driver didn't have insurance or a driver's license and the car she was driving had plastic on the driver's window so she said she couldn't see me.:rolleyes:

If I had been coming from the other direction I'm sure I'd be dead right now.

Now I have to get what I can from my insurance and get another car ASAP.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Folks with drivers licenses and insurance is an epidemic in this state.

IMHO, it warrants jail time.

And they, somehow, should be forced to pay for the other drivers damages.

Or send them to Iran and have them stoned to death.

Good that you're not dead.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's a big area so it's not a big problem.

On a personal note- Monday my car got hit by a car coming down a side street. Both cars were totaled but neither I or the woman driver in the other car were seriously hurt. The seat belt kinda hurt my chest but I'm OK.

The other driver didn't have insurance or a driver's license and the car she was driving had plastic on the driver's window so she said she couldn't see me.:rolleyes:

If I had been coming from the other direction I'm sure I'd be dead right now.

Now I have to get what I can from my insurance and get another car ASAP.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok. If the pain persists, you should get it checked out. You could have broken a rib.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    First of the season, first doe, first bow kill all in one deer!

Attachments

• 12195847_10208271250327725_6167333389774887048_n.jpg
      12195847_10208271250327725_6167333389774887048_n.jpg
      99.6 KB · Views: 160

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Something you guys may find interesting: This weekend marked the start of rifle season on the indian reservation I'm hunting at. There were probably at least 30 hunters from out of state coming here to hunt.

I talked to one guy in a group from Michigan. He said there were 20 guys in his group and they rented cabins on-site. They also had a big tent set up where they had tables and a freezer set up for saving the deer meat. Pretty neat setup.

He said that there's too much pressure in the area they live in so they come to the reservation.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Folks with drivers licenses and insurance is an epidemic in this state.

IMHO, it warrants jail time.

And they, somehow, should be forced to pay for the other drivers damages.

Or send them to Iran and have them stoned to death.

Good that you're not dead.

Ha ha...you mean "without" licenses etc? :D

I have to get used to the way they drive around here. With some of these drivers it's like a "Cat And Mouse" game. One lady the other day was looking right at me as she drove right past over the speed limit and I had the right of way. :rolleyes:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Report: A big cold front moved through last night and it got cold at dusk. The wind changed to right behind me so I didn't see any deer. As I went to my truck a coyote started howling near me in the cornfields. At first I thought that maybe some of the local guys were playing tricks on me cause it didn't sound real. Then several other coyotes joined in from across the road.

It was kinds cool but also kinda scary even though I had my 30-06 right there. :eek:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    First of the season, first doe, first bow kill all in one deer!
    nice congrats!

Something you guys may find interesting: This weekend marked the start of rifle season on the indian reservation I'm hunting at. There were probably at least 30 hunters from out of state coming here to hunt.

I talked to one guy in a group from Michigan. He said there were 20 guys in his group and they rented cabins on-site. They also had a big tent set up where they had tables and a freezer set up for saving the deer meat. Pretty neat setup.

He said that there's too much pressure in the area they live in so they come to the reservation.
    sad thing out here a lot of the tribal folks that can hunt longer (their season is from june to dec out here for deer and elk)DONT hunt...they leave to a handful of people. But there is a lot of public land that draws out of area hunters.:sad20:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Report: The Rut doesn't seem to have started out here in Eastern Nebraska where I hunt. I haven't seen any sign of bucks roaming around like I did back east. The spot I have been hunting the last few days has been barren these past couple of days. The coyotes started howling right before it got dark so maybe that's what's scaring away the deer from that area.

I swear the coyotes don't sound like the real deal but who's dumb enough to sit out in the woods imitating coyotes? (liable to get shot at) lol

Today is an off-day for rifles that starts up again tomorrow. I got my freezer today at Home Depot on sale for $118.00 so I'm set to start freezing game meat for the winter.

I'll probably sit out most of the day tomorrow in case the bucks start feeling randy!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ha ha...you mean "without" licenses etc? :D

I have to get used to the way they drive around here. With some of these drivers it's like a "Cat And Mouse" game. One lady the other day was looking right at me as she drove right past over the speed limit and I had the right of way. :rolleyes:

Good catch. :o

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Report: The Rut doesn't seem to have started out here in Eastern Nebraska where I hunt. I haven't seen any sign of bucks roaming around like I did back east. The spot I have been hunting the last few days has been barren these past couple of days. The coyotes started howling right before it got dark so maybe that's what's scaring away the deer from that area.

I swear the coyotes don't sound like the real deal but who's dumb enough to sit out in the woods imitating coyotes? (liable to get shot at) lol

Today is an off-day for rifles that starts up again tomorrow. I got my freezer today at Home Depot on sale for $118.00 so I'm set to start freezing game meat for the winter.

I'll probably sit out most of the day tomorrow in case the bucks start feeling randy!

What do the coyotes sound like? Wolves? Eastern coyotes may have a more wolf like howl overall, and I have heard of some sounding just like a wolf.

Someone could be predator hunting though and trying to use a mouth call. Yes, that's the sort of person who is out in the dark trying to sound like a coyote!

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    I was out in my stand today and I saw a small tree about 125 yards away moving far faster than the wind suggested it should be blowing. I got the binos up in time to see an 8 point rubbing the damn thing like crazy. I had the wind in my favor but the deer never came any closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom