• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    Have a chance to pick one of these up for around 450. Stock is cracked along the bottom, other than that the metal looks good. Did not have a chance to check the bore. What are your thoughts, yes/no?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a 7.62x51 Argentine I got last year from a board member. Seems the market for the 7 & 8mms starts around $500 and goes up (way up sometimes for a really nice version.) So not totally out of line depending on how bad the crack is (and the remaining condition.) Matching numbers?

My stock was pretty dinged up and I remember looking for a replacement. No one had in stock anymore and sounded like the supply dried up a couple years ago. The different calibers use different stocks so maybe just the argentine ones were sold out - can't remember. I ended up steaming many of the dings out and re-oiling it.

Its a neat gun. Many at the range mistake it for a M1A. You'll need the little pin-spanner tool to adjust the gas port settings. Also check to see what mags will cost. I bought a couple spares for mine for $16ea. No idea what the 8mm ones cost.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I liked my 7mm Mauser version, but it chewed the hell out of the brass, even after adjusting the gas. They use standard Mauser clips to load internal magazines. Neat weapon, good thing the Nazis didn't get their hands on the designers.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Have a chance to pick one of these up for around 450. Stock is cracked along the bottom, other than that the metal looks good. Did not have a chance to check the bore. What are your thoughts, yes/no?

If the crack isn't bad, grab that summbish. If it is bad, talk 'em down to $300 and wait for a replacement to pop up on electronic bay or the broker of gun.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've done it. Bought one of the Century Egyptians built from the big pile of spares they got along with all the complete, original FN-49s back in the early 90s. When the blew through the spare factory stocks they contracted an Italian manuf. to build copies for them out of this funky looking beech with a cheesy plastic buttplate. But hell, the parts were NEW so if you wanted a shooter it was a good deal at $300. Later on I got sick of looking at that stock and purchased a factory 30-06 furniture set from Northridge when they were on sale for $75. If the receiver has the eagle crest then it's pretty much a drop in using 30-06 buttplate. There will be a gap around the TG but no easy way around it. Here's a thread over on Gunboards with info from Goose52 who wrote the best reference work on the FN49 and photos of my 30-06 stocked Egyptian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom