• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I have a couple of questions:

I bought a Romy G kit last year but never demilled it. I don't have a lot of the tools that it probably requires.

What is the best receiver to buy from Nodak? Does it matter. I assume you can go "original" or buy an underfolder receiver if you want to customize it?

Thanks.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The nds1 is their premium quality receiver.

The nds3 is their economy receiver.

The differences are minor, except the 3 costs much less. I have used both and would recommend the 3 for your first build and for standard fixed stock builds.

Finding the parts for an underfolder build is the tricky part right now. in addition to the stock and hardware you will need the rear trunnion. these are in short supply since a lot of yugo kits came without rear ends. underfolders suck btw, really you should shoot one first and experience the suck before committing the money to own one. underfolders require a special underfolder only receiver, the nds 1 and 3 won't work without cutting and rewelding.

to demill all you will need are a hammer, 1/4" punch, a dremmil or angle grinder, a $15 gear puller from auto zone, a 19mm wrench and a bench vice.

there are a few builders in your area on theakforum.net and gunco.net .

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Good advice, thanks. When I posted this all of the sites I found were using specialized tools for the builds. Since I found at east one that uses the basic tools you mentioned.

The nds1 is their premium quality receiver.

The nds3 is their economy receiver.

The differences are minor, except the 3 costs much less. I have used both and would recommend the 3 for your first build and for standard fixed stock builds.

Finding the parts for an underfolder build is the tricky part right now. in addition to the stock and hardware you will need the rear trunnion. these are in short supply since a lot of yugo kits came without rear ends. underfolders suck btw, really you should shoot one first and experience the suck before committing the money to own one. underfolders require a special underfolder only receiver, the nds 1 and 3 won't work without cutting and rewelding.

to demill all you will need are a hammer, 1/4" punch, a dremmil or angle grinder, a $15 gear puller from auto zone, a 19mm wrench and a bench vice.

there are a few builders in your area on theakforum.net and gunco.net .

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    but why demil? my builds are going to be semi-auto builds (no dirty/evil hole drilled, semi-auto rails without the "evil" cut)...G2 semi trigger kit...

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    but why demil? my builds are going to be semi-auto builds (no dirty/evil hole drilled, semi-auto rails without the "evil" cut)...G2 semi trigger kit...

Actually "demill" refers to getting all the old receiver pieces off, old rivets removed, and everything ready for install into the new receiver. ;)

And the top-rail step-down available only on the premium receivers from NDS lends to better accuracy (tighter fit between bolt carrier/rails), and to be honest the S-F markings aren't all that aesthetically pleasing--at least to me. ;)

It's all subjective, if the additional accuracy potential doesn't mean much to you.

Oh and btw, I'm at Meade--frozen cesium and i are going to be building a few rifles (or at least mostly building them, depending on the status of my tax stamps) in the next couple months, whenever we get a chance to pick up some tooling. you're welcome to build with us if the timing works for you. we're pretty flexible.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    This an older thread, but i have some new info. Cncwarrior.com has started making MILLED receivers that are a drop in fit for romanian g stamped parts kits. These are an excellent alternative that were not available in the heyday of ak building. The only tricky part would be adjusting headspace and drilling the milled receiver for the barrel pin, but both are very doable.

I'm also willing to give instruction to anyone with parts and space to build.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    m64's are threaded barrels, so they're out--definitely will not work.

M70's use a very different buttstock attachment, the top cover is a different length, and the recoil spring has a special retainer latch that won't work with the cncwarrior receivers.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    As an aside, be aware that NoDak Spud recommends not using the Tapco G-3 fire control group with their 'enconomy' NDS-3 receivers. There are reported problems with the function. The NDS-1s are fine.

I NEED to start a build. I have three demilled kits and most of the parts but am a little timid about getting started. Like most things after the first one you realize its not that big of a deal but you don't want to screw up. I don't have a shop press for the rivets. I do have a 'vigrin' blot cutter. :lol2:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    As an aside, be aware that NoDak Spud recommends not using the Tapco G-3 fire control group with their 'enconomy' NDS-3 receivers. There are reported problems with the function. The NDS-1s are fine.

I NEED to start a build. I have three demilled kits and most of the parts but am a little timid about getting started. Like most things after the first one you realize its not that big of a deal but you don't want to screw up. I don't have a shop press for the rivets. I do have a 'vigrin' blot cutter. :lol2:

Tom, we gotta get to this. I just have no idea when.:sad20: Travel is on the horizon, again - HI and CA trips. On another note, did you pick a finish for your receivers? I want my receiver to match the rest, since it is all in AWESOME shape.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's

Actually it's called the G2, and the issue was with the very first run of NDS-3's only. It's been since fixed. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of builds out there on NDS-3 receivers with G2 FCG's with no problem.

Their lawyers made them put the disclaimer on their website, as lawyers tend to do.

The issue with NDS-3 receivers and G2 fire control groups is no longer. I promise. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom