Want a Xbow but know NOTHING about them....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    When I first read the title I thought you were looking for a Video Game - XBOX. Better off with the XBOX, crossbows are over priced, bulky and hard to load.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well.......... maybe something at the big gun auction coming up. I thought I could get into it at maybe 350 - 400 BUT that's why I asked here.

You can get into a Barnett for $500: http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Ghost...=1419222353&sr=1-1&keywords=barnett+ghost+350

Ghost 350 is a good bow. I have killed many deer with it.

Do NOT buy used, unless its from a reputable archery shop. Get a $25 rope cocker, if the bow does come with it.

There are some pretty good reviews here: http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/

You can get into a basic crossbow for $200-300 (http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/barnett-jackal-crossbow-review/)

It will kill deer, at 315 fps and 80 ft-lbs of energy. I am not how accurate it will be, but will do the job. I think you will hate the red-dot scope, plan to replace it.

Somebody above mentioned the Raptor too. Carbon Express has a line too: http://www.basspro.com/Carbon-Express-XForce-350-Crossbow-Kit/product/13030307014321/

A $300 bow is a risk - if you end up spending $300 on a bow, you could end up deciding you like hunting with it and want something better, then decide you need a better bow for $600, plus a new scope for $100.

Much less risk if you shoot the bow before you buy.

Ask the archery shop about repairs. I have never had a problems with my model bow... but at Bass Pro I saw a lot of a new line (maybe Recruit? cant recall now) in the repair shop with a broken string. Not sure what the flaw was there, but the salesman said dontbuydontbuydontbuydontbuydontbuy. New engineering+new manufacturing = kinks to be worked out for next season.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    You can get into a Barnett for $500: http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Ghost...=1419222353&sr=1-1&keywords=barnett+ghost+350

Ghost 350 is a good bow. I have killed many deer with it.

Do NOT buy used, unless its from a reputable archery shop. Get a $25 rope cocker, if the bow does come with it.

There are some pretty good reviews here: http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/

You can get into a basic crossbow for $200-300 (http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/barnett-jackal-crossbow-review/)

It will kill deer, at 315 fps and 80 ft-lbs of energy. I am not how accurate it will be, but will do the job. I think you will hate the red-dot scope, plan to replace it.

Somebody above mentioned the Raptor too.

A $300 bow is a risk - if you end up spending $300 on a bow, you could end up deciding you like hunting with it and want something better, then decide you need a better bow for $600, plus a new scope for $100.

Much less risk if you shoot the bow before you buy.

Ask the archery shop about repairs. I have never had a problems with my model bow... but at Bass Pro I saw a lot of a new line (maybe Recruit? cant recall now) in the repair shop with a broken string. Not sure what the flaw was there, but the salesman said dontbuydontbuydontbuydontbuydontbuy. New engineering+new manufacturing = kinks to be worked out for next season.

Excellent info, thanks. :thumbsup:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    300 fps is MORE than ample, many early compounds could barely crack 200.

Plus, once you start to get above 350 fps there can be a lot of maintenance or other issues. The center serving is under a lot of stress and will start to separate more quickly than you expect - but a good archery shop will be able to very tightly re-serve it. The arrows have a lot of power, and will go clean through a 2x4. You need a target designed for them or the arrows will sail clean through. Pulling the arrows out is hard on the fletchings (the arrows may sink up to the fletchings)...so shooting high powered bows can be really hard on the arrows as well.

On the other hand, at 350 fps the arrows have so much power they go clean through a deer and stick hard in the ground... if two deer ever lined up just so, I am pretty sure I bag a 2-fer with one arrow.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I haven't hunted with it (or any bow or Xbow yet) but I got the Barnet Raptor from Cabela's on sale for $300. Quiver, 3 bolts, field points, string wax, rope cocker and scope. Easy to assemble despite crappy instructions and very accurate in the yard on the Xbow target.

x2 Decent entry level package. Optic is basically throw away, but everything else seems solid.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I bought a Barnett Recuit cross bow his year. $299.00. Came with 3 bolts,quiver.wax.rope cocker and red dot. Shoots 305 fps and very accurate.
    I chose this bow being it's only 16" wide when cocked and light. This is my first cross bow and did'nt see the need to get spendy first go a round untill I hunt with it enough to decide what if anything needs to be different should I decide to upgrade.:)

Last edited:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I bought a Barnett Recon cross bow his year. $299.00. Came with 3 bolts,quiver.wax.rope cocker and red dot. Shoots 305 fps and very accurate.
    I chose this bow being it's only 16" wide when cocked and light. This is my first cross bow and did'nt see the need to get spendy first go a round untill I hunt with it enough to decide what if anything needs to be different should I decide to upgrade.:)

My sentiments exactly........ 700 bucks would buy a NICE firearm which I prefer BUT an entry level Xbow will at least get me into the woods :thumbsup:

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    I've never heard of the Barnett Recon before.... But my buddy just bought the barnett recruit. Very light, short limb to limb. Comes with everything you need besides broad heads and a target. Does have a sight but it's only a red dot. But it serves the purpose. Pretty accurate. And was only 250 on amazon.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I have also been looking at getting a bow of around the same price and quality. I have read good and bad things about the Barnett Packages. My buddy just got the Jackal with 4x32 for $240 from amazon and he has been really happy with it. I have been looking at the Recruit/Jackal/Wildcat C5. They are seem close to 300 in price, not sure of the quality differences if any.

I few posts said not to buy a used crossbow, what is the reason? Having to replace the string? I see the strings are about 30 bucks for most barnett models. What do bow shops charge to install or can you do it yourself?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I few posts said not to buy a used crossbow, what is the reason? Having to replace the string? I see the strings are about 30 bucks for most barnett models. What do bow shops charge to install or can you do it yourself?

Unless you know the seller, you have to inspect the crossbow extremely carefully to make sure the limbs are not cracked. This does not apply only to dry fire, but repeated use of under sized/weighted bolts.

The older crossbows, do not have the anti-dryfire safety.

ylexot

Apr 5, 2014
    I have a Barnett Predator that I picked up on eBay a few years ago. I think I got it for about $325 which was ~$50 less than the cheapest I could find it anywhere else. It's pretty accurate out at 60 yards... maybe more. That's the longest range I could do in my yard ;-)

Suggest you also get a dedicated decocking bolt too. I destroyed/lost a few regular bolts shooting into the ground.

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    I decided on an Excalibur after studying Crossbows to death. I bought the Phoenix combo with scope, quiver and some bolts. One thing I like about the idea of the recurve Excalibur over compound crossbows is changing a string is just that, changing a string....not retuning or realigning your crossbow....and it could be done in the field if a string broke. Being a neophyte, that appealed to me.

Here is a quick list of advantages/disadvantages recurves and compound.

http://www.crossbownation.com/artic...curve-crossbows-versus-compound-crossbows-r18

One more plug for the Excalibur is the instruction video they include with the Crossbow. Gets you up to snuff and shooting pretty quickly.

I am no expert on crossbows, but I am pretty happy with the Excalibur

+1 For Excalibur.

I too researched crossbows for a while before purchasing. I have a Vixen II, it's the lightest bow they make, but I got it because I can cock 150lb pull without a pulley aid. The aid makes it a breeze (cuts down to 75lbs), but I didn't want to have to rely on a piece of equipment that could potentially fail. I went with the recurve design since there is no reason to have compound cams/gears on a crossbow since the string locks in place once cocked, you aren't holding the load like you do with a regular bow.

Mine is extremely accurate from 20-50yds once I got it sighted in right. I even robin hooded 2 carbon arrows at 50yds. It was cool, but pissed me off cuz that was $10 wasted lol.

v3fnh4d3f.jpg

BTW mine is for sale in the classifieds, just don't use it as much as I thought I would: http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=23601

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom