• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    After reading 60+ pages of AR pistol threads, I have seen lots of great pictures, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question, so:

Lowers transferred as "X" - go or no go for pistol build?
    Lowers transferred as "lower" - go or no go for pistol build?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Any lower that hasn't had a rifle-type stock or barreled action attached previously, can be built into a pistol.

There's an ATF publication out there stating so - that I should've saved, but didn't.

Last edited:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I was wondering about this.

I have a lower purchased pre 10/1/13. what do I need now

-Pistol buffer tube, spring and buffer
    -how long is the min length upper?

paperwork?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I was wondering about this.

I have a lower purchased pre 10/1/13. what do I need now

-Pistol buffer tube, spring and buffer

Phase 5 Pistol kit, one and done.

-how long is the min length upper?

Upper can be as short as you'd like, provided you don't run a vertical fore-grip.

paperwork?

Not needed unless you plan on SBR'ing it at a later date.

Answers in bold.

I forget what length you need to have in order to run a VFG, but I'm sure someone can fill in that blank.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    After reading 60+ pages of AR pistol threads, I have seen lots of great pictures, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question, so:

Lowers transferred as "X" - go or no go for pistol build?
    Lowers transferred as "lower" - go or no go for pistol build?

Transferred as X, No Go, that lower was sold and registered as a regulated long gun.

I have not heard of one transferred as a power. It should have been O for other. In that case, GTG as a pistol.

And has been said, start by making it into a rifle, it cannot be made into a pistol. However, BATFE has stated that if you make it a pistol, then a rifle, it can be converted back to a pistol legally.

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

So I am making all my lowers into pistols, with pictures, and then making them rifles. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Even "X" lowers, provided they were not previously configured/sold with a stock and barreled action can still be made into a pistol variant.

ATF has stated in the past that a AR receiver technically is a open canvas until a barreled action is attached to it denoting it as a rifle.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Even "X" lowers, provided they were not previously configured/sold with a stock and barreled action can still be made into a pistol variant.

ATF has stated in the past that a AR receiver technically is a open canvas until a barreled action is attached to it denoting it as a rifle.
    I believe this is one ATF letter confirming what BradMacc82 is saying, though they do say make sure the dealer does not describe the receiver as 'rifle'.

tube.JPG

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thank You eruby, knew that publication was out there, just didn't feel like searching for it. :o

The 'and/or' part may throw some off, and that'd be understandable.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    X on the 77R is describing the lower as a RIFLE.

Good luck. Don't drop the soap.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    X on the 77R is describing the lower as a RIFLE.

Good luck. Don't drop the soap.

Welp, according to the ATF, it isn't a functioning complete rifle until it has a stock and barreled action affixed to it.

Now if an FFL decides to ERRONEOUSLY label it as a rifle on the 4473 when it's a stripped receiver, then that's your own call to make and proceed as you wish.

As for me, BTDT, only 1 of my receivers was listed in your ideal format on the 4473. Still running the streets, and have no worries about dropping the soap or having an unpleasant experience in the shower.

With that said, I bid you adieu. :moon:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Read the ATTF letter above.

It specifically states to "make certain that your dealer does not describe them as 'rifles'.."

The letter states 4473, but, IMO, that is because it is generic. BATFE would be happy to find that you made a pistol out of a lower that was transfered as X on the 77R.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Read the ATTF letter above.

It specifically states to "make certain that your dealer does not describe them as 'rifles'.."

The letter states 4473, but, IMO, that is because it is generic. BATFE would be happy to find that you made a pistol out of a lower that was transfered as X on the 77R.

Incorrectly checking a box does not change the classification of a firearm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Then go for it. I will visit you in prison. :)

BATFE states in the letter that the box checked DOES matter. Take it up with them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Then go for it. I will visit you in prison. :)

BATFE states in the letter that the box checked DOES matter. Take it up with them.

As sated earlier, already been there and done that. Still running the streets with my right's intact. :)

*And let's not lie to each other, there'll be no prison visits from either one of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom