• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What are your opinions on these?

you're looking at about 19" of penetration in 10% gel and a 1" expanded diameter. They're relatively cheap, but that's too much penetration for HD. I'd want something that stops before 15".

In contrast, here's some cheap winchester slugs that break apart and only penetrate to 12" or so.

...of course they still punch through hard barriers pretty well...so may not be the best for HD.

Feb 28, 2013
    That's kinda what I thought.

This is what I have in my HD shotgun now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 345

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have the Winchester military spec 00 buck in my hd shotgun as well. the walls on my home are thin and a slug would easily go through them.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    That's kinda what I thought.

This is what I have in my HD shotgun now.

I have the Winchester military spec 00 buck in my hd shotgun as well. the walls on my home are thin and a slug would easily go through them.

Buyer beware, the winchester military OO seems to be a pretty big ripoff and far from the best load.
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=224340
    win mil.jpg

win mil 2.jpg

It looks cool, but doesn't even have a shot cup of any kind. Unless you find it dirt cheap, there's better stuff for the money.

The load I'm trying to get ahold of that will likely be my HD shell is this...
    http://www.policehq.com/Products/FC-132LE.1B#.Uziw5ldTQYU
    federal's 2 3/4" #1 buck tactical load with flitecontrol wad. I don't think you can really beat it with any other load out today.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    you're looking at about 19" of penetration in 10% gel and a 1" expanded diameter. They're relatively cheap, but that's too much penetration for HD. I'd want something that stops before 15".

In contrast, here's some cheap winchester slugs that break apart and only penetrate to 12" or so.

...of course they still punch through hard barriers pretty well...so may not be the best for HD.

I like the managed recoil Brennekes, accurate, mild recoil, and all but guaranteed to penetrate reliably. I'm not that worried about "over-penetration", I figure worst case a clear miss is going to be heading through several walls, if not all the way out of the house in any caliber large enough to stop a threat quickly. I want a round that I can shoot fast, shoot accurately, and shoot easily, and that has the best chance of absolutely destroying the threat in the fewest rounds possible. All things considered, those Brennekes probably penetrate through fewer walls than the 7.62 AK I keep loaded in the office on the other side of the house.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Ideally #1 buckshot but since that is going to be hard to find stick with 00 buck. Buy a few different round and find a range where you can pattern them at 15 yards. Despite what movies would have you believe you want the one with the tightest group at that distance.

Sirex